passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Steam Greenlight & News

radiofloyd

I've altered this thread to make it a bit more of a catch-all Steam thread.

The Trading card stuff has come out of beta. I'm still less sure of exactly what the point is but it seems to be pretty popular already so Valve are probably making money on it. The way it works; you play games, doing so earns you cards (assuming the game supports them). You can get half the allotted cards from playing the rest you need to get through trade or get lucky and get rewarded a booster pack. You can sell your cards on the steam market, or buy and trade to get the missing cards and make a badge, the badge gets you various Steam rewards like new backgrounds

I had a duplicate Half-Life 2 card and sold it for a whopping 13p

• 2 weeks later...

I've been messing about with the steam trading cards, I'd still struggle to say that I really see the point of them but there's clearly a market for them.

I got all I could for Half-Life 2 and Binding of Isaac and sold them (the money sits in your steam wallet ready for your next purchase). I got all I could in borderlands 2 and used the money from selling to buy the remaining cards and make the badge. The badge got me a steam background for Zero, an emoticon for Steam chat and a 'mystery card' that it advises you to keep and not trade (but doesn't tell you why)

Anyway, I've just turned on steam and got a notification that I had a new item in my inventory which turned out to be the booster pack for Borderlands 2 (a pack of 3 cards for a game you've reached your limit on, sent out randomly). I didn't need it as I've got all the Borderlands stuff, although I think you can level the badge up, so I sold it for £1.50 (of which I get about £1.27). So yeah you're not going to make your fortune selling cards but you could at least fund getting all the backgrounds and stuff you want without having to spend money

It's an ingenious way of making money. Valve are taking 15% or thereabouts for absolutely nothing really. The artwork already exist so it's just a case of framing it and throwing it up in the games framework. If only a few hundred people buy cards to complete sets I'm sure that would cover the outlay of putting everything together.

Not sure where else to put this, but here will do.

As my Steam library gets bigger it's getting harder to quickly find what I want so I mulled over using the Favourites thing but then discovered Categories.

Now this is brilliant because I've made a "Co-Op" category and put those games in there.

post-62-0-08367200-1373677650_thumb.png

However then those games disappear from All Games and you can only set games as one category so my idea of a tower defense category rather goes down the toilet.

I know this is a minor quibble but is there any better way of sorting your games out? I'm pretty much going to have a "Backlog" one to put certain games in.

Also, check me out with my Orcs Must Die 2 time. Man, I do love me some orc killing.

The Director's Cut version of cult horror adventure Deadly Premonition is now available to vote for on Steam Greenlight, publisher Rising Star Games has announced.

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut first launched on PlayStation 3, but this new PC version will have further upgrades.

Included is a new scenario from director Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro, improved controls, reworked textures and bonus PC-exclusive DLC. You'll also get Steam Achievements and Trading Cards.

As with all Steam Greenlight games, the title will only be added to the service if enough people show interest. Valve then picks Greenlight's most popular hopefuls to be added as full additions to the Steam catalogue.

"Steam's Greenlight process is a first for Rising Star Games and there is nothing better than the cult hit Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut to make our mark on it," said Rising Star boss Martin Defries. "Our vocal fans have been calling for a PC version of this game, so using Steam Greenlight gives those fans the chance to make a difference."

See the new version in action below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-18-deadly-premonition-getting-pc-version-via-steam-greenlight

http://youtu.be/dASjh04bT9M

It depends on saturation. Games where fewer people have played are going to have high priced cards due to rarity.

I wouldn't really worry about that, just have fun trading ones out you want rid of for ones you do. Look at it as an interesting diversion whenever you're sat idle with nothing to do.

Look at the quality of the games in the list now, 32 games and it's growing all the time. I know Valve have taken a break for the summer sale but they need to stop monkeying around. Some interesting thoughts here:

http://indiestatik.com/2013/07/21/valve-react-to-greenlight-criticism/

I have no idea how popular games like Armikrog and Dive Kick are still in the doldrums.

Nice update today with A Hat in Time, Among the Sleep, Broforce, Chasm, Deadly Premonition, Dive Kick, Shelter and others all being greenlit. I think Deadly Premonition wins the award for the shortest time any game has spent in the greenlight process...

that's part of what's wrong with Greenlight. I've no idea if Deadly Premonition or Dive Kick are good games, but one has a loyal fanbase and the other has loads of hype behind it, they were both inevitably going to get approved so why waste the slot