passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rocksmith

spatular

Will this work with my electro-acoustic as it has a (I think) passive pick up, or will I need to restring my electric?

I think it should work ok but an electric would be better. The main problem you could run into with an acoustic is when you have to do string bends, unless your strings are quite thin.

The real problem is, does your guitar stay in tune? The game only really recognises pitch, not where your fingers are, so if your guitar falls out of tune easily then you could get stuck pretty quickly.

I'm on my way to the end now, have got gold on all the technique challenges and have a handful of songs to go through.

I'm obviously gonna keep playing as it will be a really useful practice tool and I'm gonna try to 100% as many songs as I can. At the moment the verse riff to Satisfaction is my nemesis.

The career mode on this never seems to end! I'm starting to wonder if it just keeps going till all the songs are maxed out.

I've played all the songs now maybe at least twice through (4 times if you count the rehearsal and then performance) and the qualifying score to play them "live" has shot up on some to the point where I've had to replay them a few times and after 3 attempts the game asks you if you want to put the qualifying score down.

If you don't already know, you rehearse the set of songs one by one and have to get a certain score to qualify so you then play those same songs again in front of an audience.

I'm pretty sure I've unlocked the biggest venue so I guess I am at the end but who knows! I've put a lot of hours into it now.

20 odd hours in and I'm pretty certain the game will not end until I have maxed out all the songs or got the last rank.

I'm currently 9 out of 11, an "Elite Guitarist" apparently. Next is "Super Elite" and then "Rocksmith".

It's getting more challenging and is forcing me to learn the songs properly and play them cleanly. This is good for me as my playing is always a little sloppy so I simply have to do what it tells me and break my bad habits. I can actually tell that my playing is getting better.

I've mastered about 3 songs now and my next personal challenge is to get 200,000 points on a song in Master Mode, which is where the UI is turned off. This will be a bitch and no mistake.

good work on the song mastery!

It's getting more challenging and is forcing me to learn the songs properly

i intend to go back to this after finishing dishonored, but that's ^ the real test and where i gave up with rock band, i think the note charts are easier to read in this though.

Took my cable round to a mate's and we played multiplayer with him on bass. Downloaded my profile to his machine but I should've put my save on the cloud as I had to go right back to the beginning in terms of how many notes it throws at you. Really puts you off how to play the song properly.

Well I've hit a wall now where you really have to know the songs and be pretty sharp with them in order to progress.

The problem with this is if you do really well at them, it will then be a "master mode" version where when instructed to play it, you won't have the UI which I need for a good 90% of the songs.

Also The Strokes song is still killing me.

• 3 weeks later...

Still playing this after having "finished" the campaign and keep hitting walls on perfecting some songs. Currently it's "Play With Fire" by The Rolling Stones and "Sweet Home Alabama" which are proving difficult to get right. The problem is finding the best way to learn the parts properly as the accelerator mode makes it actually harder to play the parts when slowed down. I could probably find the tab to go through at my own pace but I want the game to teach me.

After playing for about a month I can definetly say my playing has improved but I still can't do super fast solos for shit.

Gonna start keeping tabs on my progress. In spoiler if you don't care and to stop taking up too much space here.

"A More Perfect Union" - Titus Andronicus

"Angela" - Jarvis Cocker

"Are You Gonna Go My Way" - Lenny Kravitz

"Between The Lines" - Stone Temple Pilots

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

"Boss" - Chris Lee

"Boys Don't Cry" - The Cure

"Breed" - Nirvana

"Burnished" - White Denim

"California Brain" - RapScallions

"Chimney" - Yellow Moon Band

"Do You Remember" - The Horrors

"Fat Bottomed Girls" - Queen

"Go With The Flow" - Queens of the Stone Age

"Gobbledigook" - Sigur Ros

"Good Enough" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"Good Times" - Chic

"High And Dry" - Radiohead

"Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals

"(I can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones

"I Can't Hear You" - The Dead Weather

"I Got Mine" - The Black Keys

"I Miss You" - Incubus

"I Want Some More" - Dan Auerbach

"Icky Thump" - The White Stripes

"In Bloom" - Nirvana

"Islands" - The xx

"Jules" -Seth Chapla

"Keep Yourself Alive" - Queen

"Killer Queen" - Queen

"Me And The Bean" - Spoon

"Mean Bitch" - Teddy Porter

"My Girl" - The Temptations

"Next Girl" - The Black Keys

"Number Thirteen" - Red Fang

"Outshined" - Soundgarden

"Panic Switch" - Silversun Pickups

"Play With Fire" - The Rolling Stones

"Plug In Baby" - Muse"

"Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster The People

"Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie

"Ricochet" - Brian Adam McCune

"Run Back To Your Side" - Eric Clapton

"(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" - Otis Redding

"Six AM Salvation" - Versus Them

"Slither" - Velvet Revolver

"Slow Hands" - Interpol

"Song 2" - Blur

"Soul Man" - The Blues Brothers

"Space Ostrich" - Disonaur

"The Spider And The Fly" - The Rolling Stones

"The Star-Spangled Banner" - Seth Chapla

"Step Out of the Car" - The Boxer Rebellion

"Stone Cold Crazy" - Queen

"Sunshine of Your Love" - Cream

"Super Freak" - Rick James

"Surf Hell" - Little Barrie

"Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand

"Under Cover of Darkness" - The Strokes

"Unnatural Selection" - Muse

"Use Somebody" - Kings of Leon

"Vasoline" - Stone Temple Pilots

"We Share The Same Skies" - The Cribs

"Well OK Honey" - Jenny O.

"What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye

"When I'm With You" - Best Coast

"Where Is My Mind?" - Pixies

Mastered one arrangement

Mastered everything

Updated 29/11/12

Have updated my progress. Also figured it was time to get some more songs and finally the classic rock pack has been split up so I bought the Queen songs plus some soul classics, "My Girl", "Soul Man", "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" and best of all "What's Going On".

• 1 month later...

:o

Yeah, it's fucking brilliant.

I'm a lapsed guitar player. Not played properly in about 18 months or something silly like that. I had no motivation to pick up and learn any new songs, it was something I seriously fell out of love with. I had a bit of a strum just to show people I could still play when they started mocking me that I hadn't played for ages, but besides that, I've done nothing with my 6 strings.

Anyway, I got this on loan from a friend whose barrier to playing guitar starts and finishes with playing songs by Oasis.

The game starts off by showing you some sexy guitars at the start. It really whetted my appetite for the game. The presentation of the front end is immaculate and really fills the goal it is aiming for. It's smart, it's professional It's presentation you can trust. It's welcoming and reassuring. They got that shit spot on.

The next part leads you on to strum to make sure you've plugged everything in right.

You tune your guitar which introduces the colours for each string. You then play a riff that leads right into a song.

This is where I fell over. Where are all the fucking notes? I know this song a bit. I can play it. I'm trying to fill in the sapces. Give the the fucking notes you cunt!

I kept replaying the same song over and over, notes filling in the spaces where I knew there were notes to play.I needed something like 1100 points to go on to the next level. I completely fucking smashed it and unlocked the song where I can play it without any notes to read from. :blink:

On to the next song which I've never heard, played that a few times to get it down, then I smashed that fucker out of the park. Unlocked the no note mode for that too.

Next up it had me playing both those songs, which I did, then it game me an encore song which barely had any notes in it. I fumbled my way through that.

I played a few more songs and I love the way it works you up from single notes moving up and down the neck giving you positions to banging in powerchords. The way it lays down the foundations is fantastic. Seriously, it's really a step forward in learning.

There are some things I don't like. The intrusive tuning check before each song. The weird sound lag that displays after you've finished a song, it shows you note for note what you played, even if you played perfect it sounds a second behind. I'm going to try with headphones next time as they avoid going through HDMI. The way it just expects you to know what a note legend is before you're introduced to them after you've played them. It'd be nice if there was an option up front that you could just check off saying you know what HO/PO, slides, bends and chords are and just let you get one with it. Also, no leaderboards? WTF?!?

I've not tried any of the minigames yet. I bet they make scale grinding a hell of a lot less laborious than it normally is.

I'm already seeing improvements in my playing. Although I can play to a relatively decent level, I'm terrible for having to look at what position I'm playing in. Transferring between solo notes and chords also stumbles me. It's baby steps yet but I'm noticing that I'm weaning myself off these.

I had a quick gander at the marketplace and the DLC is a pretty attractive proposition.

I also noticed they have the best guitar pop song of the 00's available for download.

Maroon 5's This Love. Fuck off, it is a good song! :awe:

I'm probably going to end up buying my own copy of this. It's the tits.

This game is mint. When you start chugging away on the powerchords it feels so good. I had problems at the start of Go With The Flow because I really wanted to play all the notes, but once it started filling everything in it was awesome. It feels so seamless.

There's a real scope here for learning people to play music, specifically how it build a song up. No matter how little of the song you are playing it's sort of recognisable, and I believe that's a bit thing when you start to learn an instrument Nobody wants to sit around playing shit like clair de lune and other classical stripped down pieces. Here you can jump right in and be playing The Rolling Stones and be able to recite it even when you're away from the console. It's being able to bang out recognisable tunes that push you forward instead of leaving it.

I had a go at the duck shooter and it's actually a pretty good tool to get you learning positions on the neck without having to retort to looking at what you are doing. I've looked at the lessons to do with practical things like sustain and they are also very good. They are all very accurate from what I can tell, although I've noticed that you'd have to police yourself with HO/PO's as the system in place doesn't recognise between a pick and a hammer on. It's a good guide though.

I don't think alone this game would be able to teach you everything though. There's a lot of times it just expects you to know stuff. I played a The Cure song and it automatically assumed I knew what barre chords. It may be that the game recognised that I knew what I was doing, but for someone who doesn't going from playing notes to powerchords is less of a jump than from powerchords to barre chords. Saying that, once you have the barre chords down you are good to go, you'll be able to play 99% of all songs ever written.

My fingers are having to get used to playing again. Slow Hands and Vasoline felt like my fingers had been bitten by an asp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought this on a whim last week and bought a cheap electric guitar on Saturday. I've always wanted to play the guitar (or any instrument really) and I've tried learning a few times in the past but I've never stuck with it. Honestly, I doubt this time will be any different but whatever, I'll have fun with it whilst I'm interested.

Played a couple of hours on both Saturday and Sunday and it feels like a better learning experience just through being able to play along to the full song without being penalised for making mistakes. I like how it constantly adjusts the phrase level and throws an extra note or two into the mix, it feels like you're making real progress when you hit everything. The scoring aspect is also a good indicator of how well you're progressing.

Having loads of fun with it so far even if my fingers are incredibly sore. I'll play through the pain though and stick with it for the foreseeable future. If anything it'll give me a good headstart if I decide to get more serious about playing.

• 4 months later...

I started playing this tonight and I've had a few problems. A couple of times the game has just stopped recognising my guitar, a quick check on audacity and everything is working fine, so hopefully it's just a quirk of the pc version that has sorted itself.

I've read Spatulars first post and good to know you can alter how the tab looks because the default way pecks my head. It makes sense, it's the notes as seen if your guitar neck was see through, but that seems backwards to me.

This exacerbated the problem of new chords. Stock chords are easy, I can read the name and play that rather than read the notes, but if it's something unusual, a sus chord or whatever, I can't my head around it. All it needs really is a chord list either during or before the song.

It's great though, I've been enjoying it even with the problems, so once switch the layout think it'll get even better

I had a load of problems on certain songs strumming chords, it seemed an uphill battle to get the chords on the Kings of Leon track right until I played them very deliberately like I was more sweeping them rather than playing all notes at once, that seemed to fix it.

when I first started learning guitar my favourite band was Pearl Jam, they possibly still are my favourite band. I got a guitar book, using my own hard earned money for about £15 from Dawson's in Chester on Pearl Jam's Ten album. I remember it because that tab book was one of the hardest slaps in the face I've ever had, it was in no way intended for a beginner. In fact I went back to it after I'd got to the point where I'd say I could play guitar and still couldn't play most of it

I've just put this on and played Black by Pearl Jam, quite possibly the best song ever written. I remember the tab for that being impenetrable, but it turns out rather than being the most difficult thing in the world the chords are E, A, C, D Em. That's it, piece of piss. I just scored 100,000 points and unlocked master mode on my 2nd attempt at playing it

Granted I'm working on the assumption that Rocksmith hasn't simplified it, and the chords are definitely easier than the lead, but yeah, it's a shame this didn't exist when I was a kid

• 1 month later...