passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sleeping Dogs

AndyKurosaki

I've had the same problem Hinn, didn't quite max out the police line, did the statues, but the triad stuff I don't think I can do now

It's a good game, I think it does dip a bit in the middle, there's a lot of missions that involve driving half way across the city. Doing all the drug busts got tiresome too, especially as some locations people are armed with guns. The last few hours are brilliant though, nice and pacey, ad they feel more focused that the open world parts

• 4 weeks later...
Sleeping Dogs' first story-expanding piece of downloadable content is called Nightmare in North Point, and it will be available on October 30th, co-developers United Front Games and Square Enix London Studios announced at a New York Comic Con panel this afternoon.

The Halloween-themed DLC brings the supernatural into Sleeping Dogs' version of Hong Kong, with the developers' take on zombie fiction via Chinese mythology. Nightmare in North Point tells the story of a gang member whom the Triad tortured and killed; here, he comes back to life with an army of the undead, and it's up to protagonist Wei Shen to take care of the threat.

The developers presented a live demo of Nightmare in North Point in which Shen took on possessed members of the 18K Triad gang. Their eyes glow blue, and when they're killed, they disappear into the ground in a flash of green light. It's a good thing he now has lightning fists courtesy of some magical tea from an earlier mission. Shen also has to contend with Jiang Shi — Chinese vampires. For them, he has a peach wood sword. According to Chinese lore, such blades were used in Taoist exorcisms.

No price was announced at the panel. According to a representative for Square Enix, Nightmare in North Point will offer a few hours' worth of content. Previously announced DLC includes racing and police missions; those pieces of content will be available on October 16th.

Sounds like Red Dead Redemption has been very influential. It's a good idea though, more games need to do DLC to come out on themed holidays or time of the year.

I await the Dark Souls Easter Special with great glee - an egg hunt followed by death.

• 3 weeks later...
As previously announced, Sleeping Dogs’ first story-based DLC, Nightmare in North Point, is available for download today on the PlayStation Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, and Steam.

The expansion continues the tale of undercover cop Wei Shen, only this time he’ll be using “Chinese magic” to take down zombies instead of everyday gangsters. Think of it as the Undead Nightmare to Sleeping Dogs’ Red Dead Redemption.

Nightmare in North Point is priced at 560MSP/$6.99/€5.49/£4.39. For more on the supernatural DLC, check out our interview with developer United Front from earlier today.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/30/sleeping-dogs-nightmare-in-north-point-dlc-out-today/

I'm liking the Nightmare in North Point dlc so far, it's not really anything too different from the main game in terms of how you go about things (punch dudes in the face), but they have managed to mix things up a bit. For example all the camera stuff for the police is gone, chasing down money vans for the gang is gone, instead you'll see a marker for a demon that needs to be taken down, or a portal that needs to be closed.

I've not really been paying too much attention to the story so far, but they have at least done some cut scenes for it, but it's still hard to care why you're off to go and punch a load of zombies square in their light up faces

edit: and done. It's very short, there's really not many missions at all, especially if you're ignoring the bonus stuff. Also it seems to have gone up from the £3.19 I paid (which isn't a bad price) for £4.40, not a massive leap but it's enough that I dont think there's enough there

• 2 months later...

here's a bit of news I discovered all on my own :)

There was a patch for Sleeping Dogs tonight on steam, if you go in to the movies subfolder of Sleeping Dogs' folder in your steam folder there's a new bik video with todays date. If you download a player for that you get a title card of 'Year of the Snake', which is coincidentally which year it is on Chinese new year next month

more details: http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=2958

• 4 weeks later...

This is out for free now for the PSN+ folks so that gives me a game to sneer at for a bit.

I've only played it a little but I don't think I like it. I remember when it was getting shown off before it came out the devs seemed to have this mission to make an open world game where all of its components would make good games in their own right. The combat would be like that of a dedicated action game and the driving like that of a racing game, which is a bold and respectable challenge to take on.

But I don't think they've managed it.

I don't think the combat is that great. My expectations are probably ruined by people that say 'it's like Arkham games' when it really isn't. The combat in the Arkham games is good because of that build up of momentum you get in big crowds. The momentum that comes from spotting characteristics such as the guy that has a knife, the one that has a gun or a shield, and them using the right move to sort them out without losing momentum. That's why that combat is great. Sleepy Dogs is more like Ass Creed, or at least what I remember of it, in that it's just about waiting for them to attack and then pressing the counter button. It's not even as good as the combat in the Yakuza games that adopts quite a traditional brawler style. And it just feels... wobbly. I don't like it.

Then you have the driving, which has that heavy but weirdly slippery thing going on which is like the rubbish Need for Speed games. Getting around is as much fun as maneuvering a heavy trolley about. I don't like it.

Then we get to the characters and stuff. To get to what I don't like about this stuff is I have to use an example from a film. There is a scene in Jet Li's Fearless. It's a film set around the 1900s I think... maybe later... but anyway, there is this scene involving a Chinese, upper-class business man and some English member of the government who works at the English embassy... I dunno, I've forgotten the details... but the details aren't important.

The point is is that both of these characters speak both English and Cantonese and how and when both these characters use both these languages is important to the dynamic of the conversation. The Chinese fellow is an aspirational man who uses it to raise his profile while the English bloke is aware of the language comes loaded with imperialism and power, though understands how to use Cantonese to get people on his side.

The point I want to get to is: okay, I can see how an English speaking guy could fit into this situation, but why is everyone speaking English most of the time with the odd bit of Cantonese to give it some oriental flare? Why are these guys just speaking Cantonese; why is the English all American English? What the fuck is going on here? I'm confused. It's just random. It's hard to get what's going on.

After playing this and inFAMOUS 2 I think I have come to the conclusion that I was way too hard on Arkham City. I may delete this and download that instead. They got the odd thing wrong but they got more right than everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

This is cheap on steam until 6pm tomorrow (about £7.50), it's certainly worth that, but as a nice touch all the dlc has been heavily reduced too. I played through the Zodiac Tournament dlc this weekend, its short, almost exclusively just a string of fights, but it's presented as though it's Enter The Dragon, that and the new Wheels of Fury dlc are less than a pound.

The Nightmare in North Point dlc is about a pound too, it's more substantial, has something resembling a plot, some new moves etc. I thought it was just about worth it at full price, so it's definitely worth £1.09 or whatever it is

It's a pretty well optimised game, should be fine, plus it has loads of options to tweak if it starts getting a bit choppy. If your graphics card is a 2 gig'er, give the high res texture pack a go, makes the game look stunning.

No, it's pretty much just outfits and vehicles, plus a couple of "level up quick" packs which got me to level 8 Cop, Triad and Face upon starting a new game. There's a few new missions dotted around that come with certain costumes though. Some of the new costumes are quite fun, the Monkey King one has you busting out a Bo staff when you finish combos, but it has no real purpose besides the look of it.

The Wheels of Fury pack has some missions which have you retrieving parts for a futuristic car that has an EMP and roof-mounted machine guns, which is pretty cool. That one may be worth getting as well as Nightmare and Zodiac.

I quite like the Year of the Snake dlc, it's probably got the best mix of content of any of the dlc so far. There is a fair few missions that involve you driving a car into the water, but then there's fighting, some shooting, shooting whilst driving, and tear gassing people in the nuts

Its a bit buggy though, there's little things like Wei mouthing the words other people are saying to him, but I had a mission disappear because it reloaded whilst I was stood on the spawn point.The funniest one was a mission involving a car chase, Wei was supposed to get in the passenger seat of a police car and shoot things, instead he teleported in to the passenger seat of a car parked about 400 metres away

What I wasn't so keen on though was that when you're a beat cop you have a taser to use when you grapple, but it's every time you grapple. The variet in combat was one of the best things about Sleeping Dogs. Anyway, it's a decent length, probably a couple of hours if you do all the available missions, it's certainly longer than the other dlc

Watched some of the Giant Bomb Quick Look today and will probably pick this up, looks really good. Enjoying the other DLC so I doubt this will disappoint.

They had a bug too, were the car they were in flipped out high into the air, above the buildings. Pretty funny, but could grate if it happens too often.