passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Installing 360 Games

radiofloyd

Just wondering, to what extent do people install 360 games?

What games have you seen the biggest improvements on?

I've never installed a game yet (or even unwrapped my 250GB hard drive which i bought two years ago). It's not something that seems to be discussed much these days, compared to a couple of years ago. It came into my head because The Witcher 2 recommends you install the game. Can't say i've noticed any slowdown with it though.

I install by default, I makes for a quieter play, and allegedly reduces stress on the 360. I did notice pop up was less on GTA4 when I went back to it, and Fallout 3 loaded sooo much quicker. Bungie don't recommend installing there games due to the way the engine works.

I always installed the games I was currently playing. With Fallout 3 it improved the performance immensely and most games had small improvements, especially games on the Unreal 3 engine where texture pop up ceased to happen. And like already said it kept the noise of the machine down and seems to keep the thing alive longer.

I often switch between short sessions of several different games, and don't normally bother installing those. If I'm planning to focus on a single game, play something that's quite long, or play multiplayer a lot, then it makes sense to install.

I actually had to wait for the dashboard update that enabled installing before I could finish Fable 2. When I played off the disc I got a glitch (about 2 thirds through the game) where it faded to black after a cutscene but didn't load the next section. (after conveniently auto-saving on the black screen, meaning I had to start the game again... 3 times!).

Usually install anything I'm currently playing, mainly to keep the drive quiet whilst playing. Never really noticed much in the way of performance gains from doing so though.

I'd love it if they'd let us play installed games without having to put the disc in the drive but I can see how this would leave the door wide open for serious piracy issues no matter how they tried to tackle it.