passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

DANGERMAN

The original source for this has been removed, but apparently it's due to be revealed at Nintendo's E3 conference, and involves the people behind Lords of Shadow rather than Iga.

I loved the DS and GBA Castlevania games, you've probably picked up on that, so it'll be a shame if Iga isn't involved, but more Castlevania is a good thing

Edit: someone on Gaf claims to know for a fact it's 2D (gameplay)

I tried really hard to like Order of Ecclesia but I just found it too difficult. It also seemed more RPG than the others; I felt I was grinding a lot to get past enemies when I just wanted to explore. Or maybe it was designed to be more like the SNES games... I dunno, I didn't like it as much as the other GBA/DS ones, anyway.

I've not seen a pixel art game on the 3DS yet (assuming this is) but I've heard they look pretty swish.

Ok, it turns out it's called Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, not Faith. It was planned to be a Wii U title as well, but they changed their mind.

Mirror of Fate is a 2D Castlevania game that has been in development for a year-and-a-half, and features two playable characters and co-op play. It uses the 3DS' forward-facing camera as a mirror and the outward facing camera for puzzle solving.

Apparently a Wii U version, which interacted with the 3DS version, was in the works before Konami ditched it in favour of a Wii U version of Lords of Shadow 2.

The Wii U version of Mirror of Fate would have been the same game as the 3DS version, with the tablet controller's touch screen acting as the bottom 3DS screen and your telly acting as the 3DS' top screen. You were able to use the Wii U's forward facing camera as a mirror to "capture your reflection and reveal your fate".

Now, though, Wii U owners will have to settle for a "safer" port of Lords of Shadow 2, which could retain some of the planned connectivity with Mirror of Fate. Both games are being made by Spanish developer MercurySteam and will be unveiled at E3 next month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-22-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-to-launch-on-wii-u-ps3-vita-and-xbox-360

some scans from GoNintendo / Nintendo Power

8EqUY.jpg

- deep combat mechanics

- involves Trevor Belmont

- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross

- strong attacks with X

- wider-reaching attacks with Y

- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb

- use these with A

- grab enemies with R

- block and dodge with L

- involves light and shadow magic returns

- earn experience points to unlock new combos

- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more

- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

not to write the game off, as it could be good and I'll probably buy it regardless (I've got Castlevania Judgement on a shelf), but it's not the game I was after

I wonder how close they'll manage to get it to Lords of Shadow, that game was magnificent. It'll be interesting to see how it plays on a handheld.

I really want a ridiculously high-res 2D Castlevania, in the style of Order of Ecclesia (which i'm currently playing through again and enjoying every minute) or SotN. Not a remake, as those games are excellent as they are, and not on a handheld.

There hasn't been any decent "Metroidvania" *shudders* style games since Shadow Complex. This disappoints me greatly :(

• 1 year later...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2′s release could tie-in to the launch of an all-encompassing collection according to a retail listing unearthed online. The bundle is said to include an HD re-release of 3DS romp Mirror of Fate.

Play-Asia has listed the bundle for PS3 and Xbox 360, and the product descriptor reads, “The history of the Lords of Shadow collection is a story that will keep you playing “for just a few more hours”. This is the complete collection with all the DLC, all as an HD Port of the Nintendo 3DS game available on your PS3 and 360!

“Castlevania is definitely known for the 2D Metroid-style, but these games progress past that format in true Castlevania adventure – with plenty of vampires.”

Included games are apparently as follows:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 DLC 1 – Reverie

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 DLC 2 – Resurrection

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 Exclusive Demo

We’ve contacted Konami for confirmation. In the meantime, treat his as a place-holder retail listing.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/15/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-collection-spotted-includes-mirror-of-fate-hd/

Mirror of Fate was... ok. Lords of Shadow seems a better game on PC from the demo, so a framerate increase from the consoles might make Mirror of Fate a better game. Hopefully it comes to PC too and ends up cheap in a steam sale