passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Soul Reaver Reboot

Sambob

Wow. Hadn't even heard this was happening until now. Love the Legacy of Kain & Soul Reaver series. I own four copies of the original Soul Reaver on the PS1

One of my favourite gaming series, the gameplay was hardly groundbreaking, I always sort of saw it as PS1s Zelda in those terms, but I absolutely went hard for the story, something about it just hooked me so much. I did that thing that I really rate with story and it was believable within its own bounds, many series that go on over several iterations get tempted to throw in mad twists and turns that just dont seem right. Although this series had a few twists and turns they all seemed fine with how the writers had already set out their stall. Incredible voice acting turns from Simon Templeman and particularly Michael Bell helped too, hope they make returns.

I hope they nail the voice acting and cinematics like they did n the original Soul Reaver. I still vividly remember the intro to Soul Reaver, it was so good. I loved the animation on Raziel too, it was so fluid for the time, leagues ahead of anything else at the time. That first game felt very much like a labour of love. The one thing I did love about it was the one vampire lord that was slain by the humans. Every level up to that you seemed to fight your way to the overlords and then do away with them to get your next power, I think this was the first (and only?) time where you have to revive the boss so you can do away with him. It felt very odd working my way towards him working out the puzzles along the way. That part of the game felt really desolate, more so that all the bits that had gone before it.

I'm looking forward to see what they can do with this. I'm hoping that they sort out some of the problems I had with it at the time it was released. Aiming throws where just a best guess, and swimming was horrible as you couldn't attack, even though everything else in the water could. Iron those problems out and I'm all over this.

Great that they're returning to the series, but I'm always a sceptic when it comes to "reboots". A HD remake would do me, too much can go wrong with a reboot. It's like remaking a classic film, what's the point? Why not remake a shit one and make it better?

Anyway, my wallet will be with all yours. Didn't realise there was so much love for Soul Reaver around here. Collectively, we are awesome.

The Eldar God was one of the worst things about the game I thought, total Deus Ex Machina. It was very 'of the times' to have some big tentacle monster thing being in control of everything, Korea had the same thing.