passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 6

Hendo

• 3 weeks later...

http://spong.com/article/26354/Capcom-Gives-Up-More-Resident-Evil-Detail

Capcom has come out today with a bunch more detail on Resident Evil 6. There are also a few screens to enjoy.

In terms of detail:

- The year is 2013.

- Chris Redfield, despite a wee bit of "personal trauma" has "rejoined his BSAA colleagues in China to uncover a major bioterrorist attack at the coastal town of Lanshiang".

- There's a nasty new 'bio-organism' - "Named by the BSAA after the Serbian word for ‘demon’, the J’avo still exhibit certain human elements – such as the ability to understand speech, work together as a group and use weapons – but they are also incredibly aggressive and a number of their actions have regressed to pure instinct."

- On the other side of the world, poor old Leon Kennedy has to face more zombies... "zombies (that) run, jump, and even use weapons, making them a bigger threat than ever before." But he's got government agent Helen Harper to get along with.

- "The real identity of the mysterious third protagonist is still unknown..."

I bet the third protagonist is Wesker. That fucker has more lives than a cat.

I'm kinda hoping they'll do a gameplay split, as that's the feeling I got from the trailer. Chris gets mostly action-y/shooty bits and Leon gets proper survival horror sections. Then they could switch it up and really fuck with you.

Dunno about you guys but even if that's not the case my biggest want from this is that they do more survival horror/tense/puzzly stuff than Gears style shooting. Like, alot more. And get rid of your moronic partner. Still so angry at Sheva for using all my damn F-Aid sprays on a skinned knee dry.gif

• 1 month later...

I wish creators would stop looking at successful games like Call of Duty and Gears thinking "That's what is successful, our game must be like that!". What works for CoD probably won't work the same for your game. CoD fans want exactly that, not some game-a-like.

Branch out ffs, take risks, claw back some originality into your games, especially when you're developing the next title in one of gaming's classic series. They were paving the way when this iteration of CoD was still a twinkle in it's developers eyes. They should be striving to push the survival horror genre back into the limelight, not taking cues from something the series was never intended to be.

Anger level: CRITICAL angry.gif

I'm really hoping Resident Evil 6 is RE4 meets Vanquish. I'm pretty sure it won't be like Call of Duty, I think they're using it as comparison to the amount of success they want it to have, which is fair enough. And let's be honest, since when was Resident Evil not a franchise aimed at the western mainstream?

I've looked in my crystal ball and I think they're gonna pull this off... I hope.

• 1 month later...

Capcom predicts RE6 to sell actual fuckton.

There's an awful lot riding on Resident Evil 6 - Capcom expects the upcoming survival horror to ship a whopping 7 million copies.

Resident Evil 5 managed to sell 5.8 million copies, as of the end of June 2011. And it's unlikely many more have been sold since then.

To put that into perspective, the expectations put on DmC Devil May Cry (ship 2 million copies) and Dragon's Dogma (ship 1.5 million units) and Lost Planet 3 (ship 1.4 million units) are much lower. Those figures come from Capcom's latest financial briefing, reported by Andriasang.

That bulging release schedule means Capcom reckons it'll pull in more cash this year than last - 20.2 billion yen (£157 million) more, for a total of 80 billion yen (£621 million).

Capcom hopes a decent slice of that extra cash will come from an expanded range of DLC. Last year, 2.8 billion yen (£21.7 million) was made this way. Next year, Capcom hopes the figure will be 3.5 billion yen (£27.2 million).

Examples of upcoming Capcom DLC are more Street Fighter x Tekken characters, additional quests for Dragon's Dodgems and extra modes and maps for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

I know RE5 was the best selling RE ever and that surprised me to be honest, the fact that they're going for even more with this is even more surprising.

But Operation Raccoon City did well so who knows.

• 2 months later...

The demo isn't great. Leon's mission is devoid of any action or suspense due to being out of context (he does see some proper zombies though, yay :)), Chris's mission is a standard 3rd person shooter with bad controls and Jake's is a cross between the two. There's a new dive move where you can shoot from prone and roll about but I couldn't find a worthwhile reason to use it.

They seem to be trying to please everyone by splitting the stories up ala Resi 2. Doesn't make any sense as they could have had far more interesting story hooks by jumping between each character as you progress and converging the stories at certain points. Maybe you make a choice and meet another character in a different location, or miss them completely but just find evidence of them having passed through, or even something as simple as not unlocking a door forces the other characters to travel a different route. It's a pretty obvious way to go when you have multiple characters and one that Capcom seem to have either totally missed or chucked it away.

The series is completely stuck in a rut, needs a big shake up, something completely different instead of trying to patch up the broken gameplay of yesteryear. Nostalgia only spreads so thin and I think Resi scraped the bottom of the tub a while ago. The characters and story are too beloved by the fans to just throw it all away and end it, but they need to do something to remedy the overwhelming ennui. Maybe Capcom should chuck it over to Platinum or Suda for the next game :D

I'm still going to buy it on release, I just hope they pull something out of the bag before October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Leon's sweet jacket coming to Europe

The Resident Evil 6 Leather Jacket Edition is now available to pre-order in Europe, priced £899.

You can find the deal on developer Capcom's just-launched UK online store, amongst other bits and pieces.

The Leather Jacket Edition first popped up earlier this year on the Capcom Japan online shop. Over there it costs just £817.

The bundle also includes a copy of the game, four tablet cases, three DLC maps for multiplayer mode Mercenaries and some stickers.

"Leon's replica leather jacket from Resident Evil 6 is made of high quality cowhide leather," Capcom's description reads. "The jacket is an authentic recreation from the game and is fully endorsed by the Capcom Resident Evil 6 Development team.

"It's designed to be close-fitting and it has DSO logo and Leon's name tag inside. The jacket not only looks good, but also is practical as it has six pockets outside and two inside."

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVPdvvR8z4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Screw the jacket, how the hell did I miss this?? 3 whole series passed me by. Guess i'd better start catching up. Robert Florence ftw!

Thanks DC :)