passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

DANGERMAN

you know those weird post 60's psychedelic cartoons you used to have to watch as a kid. The sort of thing that had tie-dye colours clashing against each other and big booming voices. Think that bit at the end of Watership Down, the bit where the main rabbit is about to die and god starts talking to him. Fucking horrible right, really unsettling, that's what this is.

I've not played a huge amount still, so far the game is God of War/Devil May Cry type stuff as made by someone who is earning their beard. You play as Enoch, with Lucifer on hand to save your progress (via talking to god on a mobile phone). And while you're making your way through the world in search of the fallen angels you'll hear things like

"Come on now Enoch... show them your peace and love"

it's a mixed bag graphically too. It's certainly interesting, but it's so jaggy it takes the gloss off things. I'm enjoying it but I reckon if I was high/drunk this would send me under

I've just done the motorbike bit, what is it with Japanese action games and bikes?

I'm enjoying it, the bike bit was a bit arse tbh. I knew El Shaddai had 2d sections, but there's a point in the game where you spend about an hour of almost constant 2d, only bouncing out for an arena fight and to save. It was really colourful too, like Yoshi's Island or something. Now I'm on a Tron style level. It's really interesting, decent in every area that matters, but with the oddness to grab you

I'm quite far in. I quite enjoyed the motorbike level, it didn't out stay its welcome at least; and it's certainly better then the one in Bayonetta. I love the ridicules changes in tone, and everything is never how you'd expect. There is a level set in 'the darkness' or something..

and it's all nice pastel colours, naturally.

It constantly surprises you. Footage shown from the game is just from the first few hours, it doesn't stay like that.

Yup, great game, really like it.

yeah I've not long since done that level myself, looks amazing. You're never entirely sure what's going on, the chapter after the Darkness doesn't feel worthy of the name and it's got a save in the middle of it for no reason.

Great game though, proper mental (the dancing boss was immense!), but it sort of feels like you're being passed by (by) it a bit. As a proper criticism the platforming in the 3d world can be a bit shit, the art style tends to lead a lack of indication of depth, added to that the camera gives you an angle that cuts off your shadow so it's difficult to work out from that.

I just finished it, I think that is right at the end... ish. I found gale was pretty useful, I found it easier to dodge him with it at any wate

The game's brilliant, mental and very simple at points, but brilliant none the less. That being said Eurogamer gave it 9/10 and that seems high, it's short and the platforming can be an arse, and it is a little too confusing for its own good sometimes. Really enjoyed it though, a better experience than a game in some ways

I don't know what the fuck just happened.

I saw a big black globe in the direction away from the stairs at the end of chapter 4. I got too close to it, and suddenly found myself in a level that looked like a hellish version of the sketch world from the Take on Me video.

I fell off a ledge in this world, and got swallowed up by whatever was surrounding me.

Then a voice (God?) accused me of abandoning my mission, and in a cut-scene I was turned into one ot those armoured fallen angel things before being exploded into black smoke - and returned to the title screen.

:blink:

I just finished this. I did struggle a bit on that boss which turned out to be the second to last boss. It doesn't really end that well, it just kind of stops.

I started a game on the hardest difficulty to see what it's like and it is pretty harsh. The enemies are a lot more aggressive and it has a certain Ghouls'n Ghosts vibe in you get hit once and you lose all your armour.. so I can't see me getting to the end.

• 7 months later...

I must be playing a different game to you guys. Im all up for a bit of oddness nut it has to be fun to play as well and thats the bit i seem to be missing. Its very monotonous, the fighting is simplistic and boring. The platform jumping, espicially in 3D is just awful. Im on Chapter 8 which is one big 3D platform jumping level and im finding it to be pure hell. I'll finish this game but i cant wait for it to be over.

I've just watched that podcast again (I'm brilliant on it), and I pretty much agree with all your points. The 3d platforming especially can be gash and there's not a lot to the fighting. I'm not entirely sure why a few of us enjoyed it and you haven't, I guess it's just which side of the tipping point you fall on because it's definitely got problems