passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Computer Questions Thread

DANGERMAN

In my opinion, before even doing that I would try to install the old 3080 you have, if you still have it, and try to reproduce the errors you mention. Unless you've sold it I suppose, but the advantage to having spare parts is it allows you to narrow down what the problematic component actually is

For one RMA-ing an entire PC like that would give me the heebie jeebies. Secondly, you might be waiting some time for a replacement if there is an issue.

The thing is though you'd have to get your spare power cables from your new PC, route them through (and make sure that Jimbo checks your cable management lol) and do all that stuff. You can't use the old power cables with your new power supply, worth pointing that out if you happen to have two lying around like that cause they don't talk to each other

I still have my 3080 PC, but I don’t want to swap components in case I void some kind of warranty. I’d rather let the company go over it and figure it out, and not potentially get blamed for anything. 

If it takes time, that’s Ok. I’m in no rush. 

Why would you not like to RMA the entire PC? Why is that bad? 

Because there's a bunch of relatively loosely coupled parts in there which aren't super resilient to any kinda shock. I have the same 4090, that thing is mad heavy and requires a thing to prop it up. I can't think of a way to put that in packaging which absorbs any kind of shock which would not put stress on the motherboard connection. 

My fear on this might be unfounded, I don't know. If they offer an RMA service then it's something they must have done before but I've only ever used RMA for individual components and sent them back in their original packaging (once, with a 2060). Maybe ask on some subreddits for advice on this or read up on how other RMA by the same company have gone when it's an entire system

As for voiding warranty, others might advise but this is a custom PC, not a Playstation. You have to be allowed to take it apart, it's part of owning and maintaining one of these things. If they are claiming that would void warranty my instinct would be to call that a load of rubbish. Again though, I'm not sure how it works with prebuilts.

Anyway that's how I'd look at it, this is probably just being a bit risk averse about how it would be handled cause this shit is mad expensive. I've bought blu rays where the boxes are in bits cause of how they can be handled by couriers, I know that movies aren't marked as fragile but they still ain't getting at my PC! 🙈

Anyway I guess trust your own judgement on that, this is just one opinion. They did after all send it out to you prebuilt in the first place and it was fine

Well, it was delivered with a bunch of polystyrene type packaging inside the PC, and when I got the 3080 it had like those air bags in it to fill in the gaps. I thought I do the same. 

But I phone them tomorrow and see how it works. 

It is mad expensive, which is why I’m not going to settle with a computer that needs to be turned on twice to work. That’s just not right. 

And I’ve tried all the advice, so. This the only option. 

They also haven’t told me not to take it apart or mentioned warranty or anything. That’s just my risk averse side. I don’t want to play that game. I ship it back and let them deal with it

Just now, Maf said:

It is mad expensive, which is why I’m not going to settle with a computer that needs to be turned on twice to work. That’s just not right. 

Elaborate on this actually, do you find that it takes a long time to startup sometimes? That could be memory training. Sometimes, maybe once every few weeks, mine does the same. After a few minutes it's fine, and doesn't do it again for ages.

Just seems to be a weird AM5 thing.

Not slow start up, just bad performance. I was going to play AW2 again last night and it ran at 40fps. And a bad 40fps. Choppy as fuck.

Restarted the machine it ran at 110+fps. 

Yeah well that sounds like something else, no problems like that here. 

I dunno, I would really think it's a better idea to take advantage of the other system and triage the issue that way with the 3080 rather than go through a potentially shitty process (with power cables from the new system, that's very important). Again, if you've not put the machine together yourself you might not realise just how heavy that 4090 is and how small in comparison its pci-e attachment is. Maybe polystyrene is enough there? I dunno

But I've said my piece, leave it at that and not trying to doom-monger or anything just that it's a really cool system you have (well, 50 percent of the time at least lol)

edit at the very least bring this up in your call with them and make sure they give you good guidance on carefully packaging it all together, if you don't feel good about going through the system yourself

Don’t get me wrong, I love the PC, and when it works it works amazingly. Even though having to turn it on then restart it is little effort and not really a big problem, it’s just not right and I’ve tested it all the ways they’ve recommended. 

Thanks for your help/advice btw

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why my PC loves 40fps. If i turn it on and play either AW2 max settings. Very demanding. 40FPS. If I try play P3 Reload. Very easy game. PC piss all over it. 40fps.

Restart the PC. 120fps on Persona.

So weird. Is that what a bottleneck is? 

No it's not, a bottleneck is when one component holds something back, every single PC has one (and console as well). But it just means that other components get a bit underutilized, not that literally everything runs at 40fps (unless the bottleneck is a vysnc-ed monitor running at 40hz)

You need to figure out how to install the 3080 in your PC and see if it reproduces the same issue. If it does, then maybe it's CPU or something else (like BIOS). If not, maybe it's the 4090. Or maybe it's power supply. But you shouldn't just treat these machines as strange black boxes, especially when you have spare parts to diagnose a problem. 

We have almost the same PC except CPU and mine never does this shit, it just works. 

(also just to re-iterate, if you install the 3080 you must make sure to use the PSU power cables that come with the new PSU, not the old one. Or you could cause damage)

It's not that I think it's a strange black box. It's just I'm very clumsy, heavy handed and stupid. Not a great combination to then go mucking around with expensive equipment. 

You're not wrong, it's just a confidence thing 

3 hours ago, Maf said:

It's not that I think it's a strange black box. It's just I'm very clumsy, heavy handed and stupid. Not a great combination to then go mucking around with expensive equipment. 

You're not wrong, it's just a confidence thing 

I'd offer to come over and do it for you, but I think you'll a little far from me.

PC having more issues. All related to booting up from power off.

Had to phone the company to get it sent back. They charged me £20 for packaging and they’re going to get DPD to pick it up from my home on Friday

Think charging me is a bit of a cheek, but whatever. I want this solved now and I don’t know what else I can do on my own 

Packed the PC up this morning and collected by DPD. The packaging they sent me didn’t make sense so I’ve wedged everything together as good as I can and made it stable as possible.

But this fucking DPD guy is a nightmare. At my door he picked it up, then just dropped it on the floor in front of me to do something on he’s phone. Then I watched him outs side and he just dropps the box in the back of the van. I don’t know why but he gave it a little kick. Then, it wasn’t my box, some other box in the van. He just picked it up and launched it deeper in to the van to get it out of the way.

I dunno what I should do. I feel like phoning/emailing the PC company and telling them what I saw. 

Especially worried now because of how I packed it. I mean it was stable and barely moving, but there’s no foam on the inside of the PC or whatever like how it was originally delivered, just wedged in around it so it doesn’t rattle on the box

Here we go 

No, so the packaging they sent me only had, um, like foam padding for the corners of the PC. And it was too small for the case. So I had to rip the corners off each other and wedge the PC in between them so it was stable

When It was delivered it had foam padding on the inside, but they didn’t supply me with any so can’t send it back this way

Very nervous

I I complained to DPD and let the PC company know. They said thanks and because I used their packaging I am covered in care of any damages. 

But fucking he’ll when I saw him kick it I had to make complaints straight away and try cover myself. I’ve packed it as good as I can but it’s not going to help if he starts lobbing it about 

Yeah, especially when the delivery guy is dropping it and kicking it. 

Have to plug my 3080 back in this evening. Woe is me and my weak ass computer 😓

DPD said the parcel won’t get back to the company until Monday. So it’s got to survive 3 days with them lol. Wonder how long it will take to get back. Best part of 2 weeks, I reckon?