passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Jimboxy

It's the DKC we know and love but in 2010.

The presentation is beautiful and DK's movement is fluid. It all looks super nice.

It plays brilliantly too. Some sections can be damn tricky and collecting hidden items requires sixth sense. Should you OCD it'll take you weeks to 100%.

The controls work well but you do have to waggle for certain movements. This is its only downfall which when ill can be a pain. I'm laying on the sofa dying. I can't do with moving randomly. I just stopped playing because my arms ache.

You can play with nunchuck but I *think* you still have to waggle.

Anyway. Essential to any 2D platforming fan.

Was going to pick this up at work today, but surprise surprise, out of bloody stock. None delivered, and no Mario 25th ethier! grrrr!!

I gave the non-food manager a shoeing, wheres my games!! turns out he didn't order any as he didn't think it would be a big release, told him next time we have new games see me, i will order them, i had to explain this was probably the biggest wii game before christmas and we have none. Might go to game tomorrow and trade black ops, im not into the multiplayer stuff so might be worth doing it while its worth a few quid.

It sounds like it would've been so much better with Classic Controller support. Still looks gorgeous though!

It only needs you to be able to use the b button really. The waggle is better the more you use it but still.

The levels have become so bloody hard now. A mine cart level took up all 26 of my continues. It never feels unfair though. Just... old school.

• 2 weeks later...

Fired this up Sunday and its great, no denying it. Old school platforming never looked or sounded so good.

Like all these remakes, the controls arent as tight as they were. I dont like the way that you have to release and re-press the jump button when you leave an enemies head to get your full jump height on the next enemy, ive died a couple of times because of that. Also its a bit stingy on the collision detection in places, lots of energy lost on the 'sides' of enemies.

Its gonna get rock hard, Level 1-5 was a little challenge so things are gonna get control smashingly tough in the future, i can feel it in me cock.

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing Returns this afternoon and wow, it's amazing! The music, graphics, gameplay, this has it all. I'm playing it using the Wiimote on its side, and unlike illdog I am finding the controls feel super tight. Donkey Kong Country is one of my favourite SNES games of all-time, and Retro Studios have not disappointed.

I knew it was going to be good, but not this good. :wub:

I'm playing it using the Wiimote on its side, and unlike illdog I am finding the controls feel super tight.

They are good, dont get me wrong, but they arent SNES quality. Its things like mid air collisions, there's more of a sudden plummet than there used to be, therefore less control in the air making you die more often than you would like.

It is great though, very addictive but like NSMB its rock hard in places.

Ive just beaten the boss at the end of world 2 and my crappy RGB cable for my Wii is playing up, no matter how much i adjust it it makes the picture fuzzy. Wish i could find my bloody component cable :(

I 100% this on sunday. Looked back through How long i'd been playing and saturday added up to 15 hours!!

At the end you enter a golden temple and they have an acid trip.

Oh and there's nothing tight about having to waggle when there's a perfectly good unused B button sitting there.

I take it you played the game using the Nunchuck? I play Wiimote only, and I'd rather use waggle than use my left middle finger on the B button around the back of the controller. I think the waggle is fun in DKCR.

I take it you played the game using the Nunchuck? I play Wiimote only, and I'd rather use waggle than use my left middle finger on the B button around the back of the controller. I think the waggle is fun in DKCR.

Nope. Wiimote only. I think it would be easy pressing the b button with the knuckle part of your middle finger.

It's fun now Ed, wait until you need to use it precisely and at the right time.

played this quite a lot yesterday, it's good, near the end of world 4 i think, stuck on a flying level, it is really hard.

went back to it today, did the flying level reasonably easily, than lost about a billion lives on a mine cart boss, did it in the end but think its a sign that its too hard for me and i should give up as i wasn't really enjoying the constant dying.

This game is amazing, one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played. :wub:

I've got all the KONG letters on every level so far, if I miss any I don't proceed to the next stage until I've got all four. I've lost a ton of lives on some levels, and purposely dying if I miss one of the letters. I'm not too fussed about the puzzle pieces. I've just got to the boss of World 4. Such good fun so far.

How many worlds are there?