passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dr Who

Hendo

• 2 weeks later...

So on Day 2 of isolating (yes I am completely bored already) luckily I had something to watch arrive recently:

DWCM.jpg

A couple of somethings. All these for £20, wasn't too bad at all. Thoroughly enjoyed them all too. 2nd Doctor really is one of the best of the Classic series. Plus, being the Cyberman fan that I am (did I mention how much I like robots, cyborgs et al?) I thought it was time I owned their debut episodes. 

00.jpg

It is really impressive how the look of the original Cyberman translated so well, in the 12th Doctor story World Enough and Time. Now that look changes dramatically for their second story - The Moonbase. One of the reasons for that was the original costume was actually really uncomfortable for the actors. What amounts to mostly jumpsuit with a helmet is a lot more movement friendly. The second (and third) iteration uses these gloves that remind me of Tim Burton's Penguin though. Personally, I think they should have kept the hands visible, and I do miss the Mondas voice too.  Anyway, one more Classic story to buy - The Invasion. Then my Cyberman collection is complete.

000.jpg

So, The Invasion...

For starters, I had no idea it was an eight part storyline. Did it need to be this long? Probably not. Towards the tail end, a lot of characters, including companion Jamie, do just vanish because. Now of course, it wouldn't be a Cyberman story, if they didn't even appear until the end of part 4? 

That said, the two lead human antagonists play their roles very well. Tobias Vaughn (Recurring actor Kevin Stoney) is really good. Basically channels a Bond villain into the role and it works. It was clearly a very ambitious storyline. Lots of on-location shots (including the iconic one, I use for a sig) which must have cost a lot for 60's TV. Which shows as some of the intended explosions of the final part, had to be dialled back a bit. This was also a prototype for what would later be the focus of the 3rd Doctor's series. But with my gap of 3-5th Doctor's, I only know that to generally be the case.

So that's it then... Although I was reminded today about the only other Cyberman story I like from the Classic Era - Earthshock. So that might round off my collection instead. 

• 3 weeks later...

001.jpg

Lastly, to complete my Classic Cyberman collection, some outside recommendations. My very first Tom Baker story and ...one with a Doctor I don't like.

Now, I did forget but in the interim, I did buy and watch Earthshock. Weird that I enjoyed it less this time around. Probably because I didn't notice when I was younger, how a fair portion of the cast don't do anything. Nyssa in particular, spends the entire story in the Tardis. Watching monitors.

I say this now, as contrary to my assumptions, I liked Attack of the Cybermen - A 6th Doctor story - a lot more than Earthshock. The main flaw in that one is an 80's issue: the costumes.

On the one hand, you have the legendary eyesore that is the 6th Doctor's coat. But even the Cybermen didn't escape the 80's with their dignity. Previous Cybermen, sport well fitted silver uniforms aside from the bits of technology. Unfortunately, in this story, the Cybermen appear to be wearing shell suits. 

Spoiler

775.jpg?quality=90&resize=768,574

It's not great. Then there is whatever the hell Peri, the companion, is wearing...

attack-of-the-cybermen1.jpg?w=461&h=376

A costume/jumpsuit that has been referred to as "one for the Dads". There is literally a scene purely to show this off, as she runs up and down an alley. Which lots of ..choice, camera angles.

Anyway, the story was better than I was expecting and none of the cast were squandered either. 8/10

Moving on to Revenge of the Cybermen. Tom Baker is weird. The smile, the way he saunters around. I can see the appeal in him, certainly. He's no Troughton. But he definitely works in the role. I preferred the interplay between companions Harry and Sarah Jane though. Now this was an interesting "base under siege" story. With a lot of similarities to The Moonbase. That is until the Vogan turn up. Growing up with 50's B-Movies and Toho films, I don't tend to look down on lower budget costume. So long as it conveys what it is supposed to and doesn't just look like an actor in make. The Cyrons from Attack, are good examples of this. Giving off a strong otherworldly vibe. The Vogan, do not. Aside from reminding me of Mel Brooks from Spaceballs. They really don't sell being a distinct alien race. So the latter half of the serial falters with their prominence. This one is a 6/10 from me. 

BIG Finish time:

Masterful - This was really good. Think back to the multi-Doctor stories. Only picture them all mad, power-hungry and treacherous. All of them really shine. There are work arounds made for deceased actors. The late Roger Delgado, in the form of 3rd Doctor companion Jo Grant. Also for Anthony Ainley, with the surprising inclusion of Kamelion. That weird 5th Doctor robot ...thing. A few Big Finish original Masters too. One of which, Alex Mcqueen, sounded a bit too similar to Derek Jacobi. In as much as it was hard to tell them apart. It isn't all good news though. The ending... sigh, does ultimately let the whole thing down. It's funny, this is Loki episode 5 before Loki aired. 8/10

Ravagers - Christopher Eccleston's audio debut. It is good to hear the 9th Doctor again. The story is a bit more non-linear and timey wimey than he ever did in Season one of the revival. But I still think it works. The reveal for companion of this story did fall a bit flat for me. But the rest of the cast was solid. Certainly looking forward to the next one. 9/10

Master! - Eric Roberts' Master. Whereas the TV Movie sold Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. That iteration of the Master, I think suffered more for the tropes of the era. This audio however, is a lot better than that. The story makes use of the manipulative and murderous nature of this very unstable Master. Not just unstable from his body snatch, but from being time displaced ala the movie's conclusion. Big Finish really get the most out of Roberts portrayal. Expanding on virtually every theme and plot thread from the movie. Without the inclusion of the Doctor at all. A solid story, despite my initial misgivings 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

Jodie Whittaker is to step down from the lead role in Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

The first woman to play the Time Lord will bow out in Autumn 2022, along with showrunner Chris Chibnall.

Whittaker will star in a new six-part series later this year, and three specials next year, before she exits.

In a statement, Whittaker paid tribute to Chibnall and the Doctor Who team, adding: "I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever."

Chibnall, who appointed the actress to replace Peter Capaldi in the role, has been in charge of the BBC One series since 2017.

It has not yet been announced who will take over from Whittaker in the leading role.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes," Whittaker said in a statement. "I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them."

She continued: "My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life."

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there. That's why we keep looking. Travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you. Constantly."

For her final series, Whittaker will once again be joined by Mandip Gill as Yaz, and comedian John Bishop, who will play a new character named Dan.

The 13th Doctor's first episode in October 2018 was watched by 11.5m viewers, in the sci-fi drama's biggest audience for almost a decade. It was also the biggest show of that week, ahead of Strictly Come Dancing and the Great British Bake Off.

But the show's ratings have dropped in recent years. Whittaker's last episode, broadcast in January, attracted a consolidated audience of 6.3 million.

While many have praised Whittaker's casting, some fans and critics have criticised the show's recent narrative direction.

The Telegraph described recent episodes as "flat, worthy and woke" despite Whittaker's talent as an actress, while The Sun reported viewers were left furious by the show's "unbearable political correctness".

One of the long-running drama's unique features has been regeneration, where the Doctor completely changes their physical appearance, allowing the show to recast its lead role every few years.

Chibnall is currently writing and producing the next series of Doctor Who, which will air later this year. It will be followed by three specials, the first of which will be broadcast on New Year's Day 2022, with another later in spring 2022.

Whittaker's final feature-length special, where the 13th Doctor will regenerate, will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC's Centenary celebrations.

Speculation will now turn to who Whittaker's replacement might be, as Doctor Who approaches its 60th anniversary in 2023.

As well as introducing Whittaker as the first female Doctor, Chibnall also brought in Tosin Cole as Ryan, Mandip Gill (Yaz) and Bradley Walsh (Graham).

Episodes such as Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Spyfall thrilled audiences, and netted the show two Bafta Must See Moment nominations, along with multiple National Television Award, Bafta Cymru, TV Choice and Critics Choice nominations.

In 2020, Whittaker was voted second most popular Doctor of all-time in a poll of 50,000 fans for the Radio Times, losing out to David Tennant.

'Three seasons and out'

Chibnall said: "Jodie and I made a 'three series and out' pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we're handing back the Tardis keys.

"Jodie's magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She's been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour."

He added: "She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production.

"I can't imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor - so I'm not going to!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just in!

Screenwriter Russell T Davies is to take charge again of Doctor Who, the sci-fi show he helped revive in 2005.

Davies, who was the fantasy drama's showrunner until 2009, will take over when Chris Chibnall departs next year.

"I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show," said Davies, who resumes his role as the show prepares to mark its 60th anniversary in 2023.

One of his first responsibilities will be to decide who takes over the Tardis following Jodie Whittaker's exit.

The actress is set to hang up her Sonic Screwdriver after one more six-part series and three 2022 specials.

In a statement, however, Davies said it would be "time-travelling too fast" to speculate on what will happen when he returns.

"There's a whole series of Jodie Whittaker's brilliant Doctor for me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm," he continued. "I'm still a viewer for now."

Chibnall said it was "monumentally exciting and fitting" that Davies would be back in charge for the series' 60th birthday.

"Russell built the baton that is about to be handed back to him," the writer and producer continued.

Davies revived Doctor Who in its current incarnation with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and remained for David Tennant's time as the Doctor.

Steven Moffatt took over when Matt Smith took on the role, staying to supervise Peter Capaldi's stint as TV's indefatigable Time Lord.

The success of Doctor Who's relaunch led Davies to create two spin-off shows, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

After leaving the show in 2009 he enjoyed more acclaim with TV dramas Years and Years, A Very English Scandal and It's A Sin.

Piers Wenger, the BBC's director of drama, said the news of Davies' return would "delight Doctor Who fans across the globe".

"We are thrilled that Russell is returning to Doctor Who to build on the huge achievements of Chris and Jodie," he continued. "Russell, it's wonderful to have you back."

Davies' return was also welcomed by Bad Wolf, the production company founded in 2015 by former BBC executives Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter.

Gardner and Tranter both worked with Davies on the Doctor Who relaunch and will collaborate with him again when he returns as showrunner.

"We are delighted to be joining Russell T Davies on a looped ontological paradox," said the Bad Wolf Twitter account. "Where Russell goes, we are proud to follow.

"With BBC Studios, Bad Wolf will be producing the all-new series of Doctor Who. It is a privilege to be asked to support him in Doctor Who's future."

• 1 month later...

FC8kRS6XEAcUWso.jpg:large

Ok, so episode 1 (of 6). What did we think? The first positive I immediately had was due to a return the serial format. I can't believe it took thirteen seasons of Nu Who before we did 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

I can see 'Chibnall' becoming a fandom slur, at some point..

So, Flux episode 4 of 6

As soon as The Division went from 'clandestine Time Lord thing' to 'Shadow Cabal, puppeteering everything and everyone', I lost interest.

The Weeping Angels are so one-note, I think they should have been left at Blink. Every subsequent appearance just recycles their same old schtick. To be fresh again, they need a re-invention. Which I don't see happening.

Personally, I found this week's episode boring. Last week was a mess, but this one didn't seem to go anywhere. This is part four of a six part serial. We should have a firm grasp on the Flux plotline, by now. The Invasion or Dalek's Master Plan didn't keep throwing out new questions two episodes before the end.

This is supposed to be the part of the serial when the payoff starts...

Also heard a nasty rumour that the B plot, involving Bel and Vinder, is the birth of the Timeless Child...

I’m loving Professor Eustacius Jericho and the globetrotting companions.

Spoiler

But I’m not sure we needed to reintroduce that little Macguffin, in the form of the pocket watch that stores the Time Lord’s memories - all too easy to see the potential plot lines of what happens to it

While I enjoyed the finale of Flux, it did feel a little convenient how easily it was wrapped up. Some great moments for the Doctor, and all the female characters in this series have been great (Di, Bel, Claire and of course Yaz).

Don’t know why we need another Daley story for New Year. Smacks of desperation.

I think it is definitely meeting the quota of one Dalek story per year to appease the Terry Nation estate.

To me, there were a lot of characters in this that amounted to nothing. 

Kate Stewart + UNIT

Grand Serpent

Bel & Vinder 

Cave Man

You could have cut them all without affecting the plot... such as it was. Much like the Ravagers. Swarm was interesting and compelling. Azure felt superfluous and generic. 

I was keen to see a return to Serials in Doctor Who. Turns out, Chibnall didn't know how to write one...🤷‍♂️