passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Age: Origins

RivaOni

Lord of the Rings + Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic = Dragon Age: Origins.

It seriously doesn't get any clearer than that.

Now admittedly I love the second half of that sum, and whilst I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies I've never really gotten into a Fantasy setting RPG, its one of the big reasons I never got on with Oblivion. However I'm really getting into this. Not really played much of it (well, the clock says 4 hours which is only an hour or 2 shy of how long the CoD:MW2 single player takes) but already I'm forming attatchments to certain characters (Morrigans quite amusing, Alastair is a whiny little bitch) and am slowly tackling the more in depth stuff like individual tactics for each party member.

Now admittedly I'm playing on easy, I've heard it gets hard and quite frankly I'm only really playing it for the story not some sort of Ninja Gaiden selfharm style challenge, so I'm not all that bothered about the difficulty level, and for those that are interested I've taken the route of a Human female Rogue Noble which has provided some interesting results (typical trying to be a hard woman and wanting to fight in battle but initially not allowed to by her noble father) and interaction with other characters.

Undecided whether to go down the "pander to everyone I meets wishes" or "tell them to screw themselves" style routes yet, so I'm somewhere in between, pissing off or pleasing certain people in the party almost at random depending on how much of an irritance the person I'm interacting with is proving to be (Case in point, some religious woman I ended up threatening as she wouldn't give me something I needed, thus getting a negative vibe from Alastair whilst Morrigan quite enjoyed what I said).

So far then its pretty good. Typical Bioware shonkiness in certain areas, the 360 version looks pretty poor, animations not exactly great, slow loading textures and generally everything else that was a complaint with Mass Effect, but as with Mass Effect its still highly enjoyable and will most definetly fill that gap until Mass Effect 2 is out.

I'm waiting for ME2 - the fantasy setting does nowt for me on this.

Im the other way round - I got bored of ME's planets and sci-fi ness and am looking forward to a bit of elves n wizards and shit. Im going to get this after chrimbo.

I got this one on Pc, and it's seriously fucking great. It has 7 different starting storylines depending on which breed and class you pick at the start. I'm playing as a Human Male Noble Rogue. It has all of the stuff you'd expect from a Bioware RPG, including long detailed conversation trees, immense graphics and a really intelligent storyline. The cut scenes look straight out of the lord of the rings movies, and are so detailed, you want to keep watching, and are nearly upset when they end. But wait. The cut scene has ended, which means I can play the game again. Yippee! Combat is challenging, even if you play on easy. You can set 2 weapons load-outs per character, so I usually set one for close combat, and one ranged weapons set. Currently I use Axe and Dagger on one set, and Elven Longbow on the other. Oh, and I have a really fucking ugly dog too.

920668_20091102_embed001.jpg

Pic from Gamespot.

MILD SPOILER AHEAD!!

Your character whichever you choose, will, after doing the starting missions which are all different, end up joining the Grey Wardens, and help to fight against the Dark Spawn. In order to do this, you have to drink Dark Spawn blood, and this might kill you. However, if you don't drink it, the Grey Wardens will kill you anyway. I won't say any more, because I can't ruin a really great RPG for anyone who hasn't started it yet. Needless to say, though, the questing is great, and you get loads amd loads of magic spells, weapons, armors, and almost limitless combinations for them all.

The only bad things I can say about it is there are one or two very minor glitches, and I mean very minor. And it's the kind of game where you think "I'll play it for an hour", and the next thing you know, it's 3:30 in the morning. Which happened to me last night. And now my wife is mad with me. I'm currently 6 or 7 hours into it, and it's eating my life, but I love it. Incidently, it was developed for Pc, and then ported to the consoles. It's usually the other way around.

I wanted to get it on PC but I doubt my system would run it. But anyhow, you're right that its one of those games that you lose hours to. I'm still right at the start and had only put into about 2 hours when I made this thread yesterday. I went on last night and it jumped to about 6 lol.

I went down the same route as you for my character, although I'm playing as a woman, I usually do on RPG's, my Fallout character is female as is my Shepard in Mass Effect (actually she looks like the red head from Sex and the City...) and my starting character on Phantasy Star Zero is a human female hunter.

I need to figure out how to switch weapons during battle. Is it the same as switching between talents (the pallete in the bottom corner I mean?) or do you have to bring up the radial dial?

I need to figure out how to switch weapons during battle. Is it the same as switching between talents (the pallete in the bottom corner I mean?) or do you have to bring up the radial dial?

On the Pc version, there's a box in the bottom left corner, that lets you switch weapons loadouts.

dragon2a.jpg

Click it, set up your weapons, then click it again to select the second set. Set up different weapons. Don't forget to save.

I'm playing as a woman, I usually do on RPG's, my Fallout character is female as is my Shepard in Mass Effect (actually she looks like the red head from Sex and the City...) and my starting character on Phantasy Star Zero is a human female hunter.

At least i admitt my cross-dressing habit.

At least i admitt my cross-dressing habit.

At least I'm not using someone elses underwear :lol:

I suppose a girl is nicer to look at on screen, but you could read something Freudian into it.

lol, it was something I started because normally female characters start off with weaker stats, or aren't as strong but are faster. Basically, aside from Bioware and Bethesda I suppose, most developers give them stats that suit the manner in which I like to play a game.

Poor Dragon Age. Just out and yet all everyone wants to talk about is Mass Effect.

I intended to make my Sheperd ugly but after a while he was sort of handsome, in a Daniel Craig sort of way.

I went the whole hog and tried my best to make the ugliest man in the universe.

post-62-12585426966071.jpg

Hit almost 14 hours now and its really picking up. Spent alot of time doing sidequests though, some I completed, some I've not even started and some are half way through. I'm liking the random battles that pop up as you move around the map screen, others will probably hate them but I'm a big JRPG fan so I have no problem with them whatsoever.