passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NAT settings

illdog

So, sometimes, games like Gears and Halo whine at me and tell me my NAT settings need to be set to OPEN. I have a wireless NETGEAR DN...summink...with a 4 in it....i'll find that out, and i know how to access it via my laptop but ive no idea where to find NAT settings and i doubt its as easy as ticking a box with OPEN next to it.

Ive also read somewhere that you can tell it your 360's IP and that solves the proble but i thought it already knew my 360's IP cos it I can connect ti LIVE wirelessly.

its shit like this that makes me hate computers and I know Sly wanted to play Horde with me the other night more than anything, i think he cried and that. Some one help me. Please. Why's it so fucking hard to do anything? Kids today, clothes all half off their ass...

Ive also read somewhere that you can tell it your 360's IP and that solves the proble but i thought it already knew my 360's IP cos it I can connect ti LIVE wirelessly.

yeah, if you go to the network settings on the 360 to find the IP address (mac address might help too)(god knows where that is in the new dash!), then on the router there should be some sort of list of connected devices (in the wirless section maybe?) with maybe a tick box for always keeping the same address for that device (it's called "fix" on my router iirc) - you want to do that. then in another section of the router settings there should be something to do with DMZ, if you put the IP address of the 360 in there it should sort out the NAT problem....although mine is set like that and occasionally halo moans at me, i just ignore it and don't have a problem though.

alternatively to the DMZ thing you could open some ports (port forwarding?) on the router...it's specific ones you need to do, can be found on the internets.

sorry that's all so vaigue. good luck dude!

edit - too slow at typing and thoes links probably explain it much better anyway :)

yeah, if you go to the network settings on the 360 to find the IP address (mac address might help too)(god knows where that is in the new dash!), then on the router there should be some sort of list of connected devices (in the wirless section maybe?) with maybe a tick box for always keeping the same address for that device (it's called "fix" on my router iirc) - you want to do that. then in another section of the router settings there should be something to do with DMZ, if you put the IP address of the 360 in there it should sort out the NAT problem

alternatively to the DMZ thing you could open some ports (port forwarding?) on the router...it's specific ones you need to do, can be found on the internets.

sorry that's all so vaigue. good luck dude!

edit - too slow at typing and thoes links probably explain it much better anyway :)

No no, good stuff, ive read that port forwarding nonsense before, i shall try all these.

You be able to tell if this doesnt work cos my router will wash up on your big island.

if your wireless router is the same as mine (mines also a netgear) i could have a bash at walking you through it over the phone, i'll take a look at how to do it.

Thats cool of you man, if I fuck up with all these instructions ill text u to see what your up to, then we'll get mechanical on somethings ass.