passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest VIII

DANGERMAN

I mentioned it on the podcast, but while everyone else has been working through FF I've gone back to DQ8.

It's strange, I started it a few years back when I was house sitting for my parents, for one reason or another I stopped playing and barely gave it a moments thought other than feeling I should go back to it because it's an unfinished game. I played DQ5 on the DS not long ago and while I did enjoy it, I could have done with it ending 10 hours earlier. For a couple of weeks I couldnt stand to think about Dragon Quest but then I got a massive itch for it.

I said in the podcast that playing 5 in between stints on 8 helped quite a bit, which is strange because DQ isn't exactly complicated, I just think it showed me there wasn't some secret river of gameplay I was missing.

The only real issue I have with the game at the minute is the occasional difficulty ramps you hit. Every rpg will have them, once you finish one area the next one will be significantly more difficult, otherwise by the time you finish that it'll be too easy. At the start DQ8 had that balance right, but the past couple of areas have been a bit too twatish. For anyone that's played the game, it's the labyrinth where you have to get the Tear Stone for red, and then King Troads castle. I think the problem is that they aren't massive open areas, so tracking back and forth across them happens more and so progress seems slower. I also dont really feel like I've got the better of them by the time I do them (im still at the castle tbf), which means the next area will likely be a twat too.

I've done 30 hours, so maybe 20 of those since last friday, and I am still enjoying it, but after a curious look at a guide yesterday it's pretty clear the game is going to be at least double that (probably more) depending on how convoluted the quests become. I think this is why I've started to see rpgs as more suited to handhelds, firstly I could take it anywhere with me, but secondly I'm more likely to leave it for something else for a week and still come back, where as if I start playing another console game now I probably wont return for another 2 years

DQ8 was my first Dragon Quest game. I enjoyed it to a point (i liked boobs McGee, can't remember her name :blush: ) but as you say, the difficulty spikes are almost game breaking. I think i got to the point where i had a boat and started exploring the world map, think i could start to drop of gold as well (or is that another game?!) i was quite far into it, maybe around the 50 hour mark. Anyway, when sailing about, i kept getting my ass handed to me on a pretty constant basis, the game stopped being fun and it went on the pile never to be touched again.

If you want to borrow it, i have the official piggy back guide book, not only good for the frustrating moments in the main quest, but helpful for the sides, alchemy pot, or whatever it was called.

Thanks for the offer but I should be ok with just gamefaqs if I get stuck. The alchemy isn't as fun as i'd hoped purely because I dont have half the ingredients and cant be arsed to trek the map looking for them, or afford to buy them.

I'm hunting for that boat now. Actually I've found the boat but I need to get something from the castle first, and from what I've read that involves me visiting other kingdoms too because A->B would be too simple.

The lack of upgrading hurts the game a bit I think. I havent given Boobs a new weapon (*giggle*) in ages, in fact its been a while since she's had an armour overhaul. Partly this is because there arent the items for her, and partly because I cant afford to kit her out and Angelo (the two that keep getting hammered), meaning she's actually kind of becoming more of a liability as I progress through the game, whereas Angelo is fairly solid bar his lack of life points. The thing that counters this is the Skill Point thing, use it right (i.e. decide to keep her using the whip and add all the points to her whip skill) and you can force people to become a bit stronger in battle.

It's good and I've kind of got into it at a good time with no talkie podcast next week, and no money to buy a proper new game, but the 80 hours needed to finish it (at a guess) seems a hell of a long way off

i might fire this up tonight and take a look. Up until i got really stuck, i was really enjoying it. It has a nice, ps1 feel about it, but with some (at the time) top notch graphics.

I used to keep boobs up front in my party, but your right she is something of a liability. (what is her name!?!?)

:EDIT:

Jessica Albert!

dq8-jessica-albert.jpg

NOT THIS JESSICA ALBERT

jessica_albert.jpg

Thanks google images....

I had this and I got quite far through it, I'm not sure why I stopped playing tho - I think it was around when I had this and Rogue Galaxy and FF12 to play and I think I just started playing FF12 and then could never be arsed to go back and pick up where I left off. Then my PS2 got relegated upstairs and I hardly ever play on it now. Maybe if PS3 ever gets PS2 emulation I will go back to it.

I bought it not long after release, got a good way into it and then started getting raped at every turn. I was enjoying it to a point but it felt very generic and a bit outdated, I didn't like the combat system (the way if another party member kills a targeted bad guy the other people will just stand there scratching their arses) or the clown bad guy. Hard to take someone seriously when they look like a rainbow. The cast in general were pretty boring as well. People kept on banging on and on about how great it was so I actually bought the official guide (which is excellent by the way) at which point I discovered that the sword is crap, the spear is crap, the boomerang is the way forward and Jessica becomes one of your heaviest hitters :blink: Stupid game.

When I restarted it using the guide it really was so much easier, the boomerang is a absolute beast of a weapon and when you get Jessica's twin dragon (something like that, double hit with the whip anyway) she accounts for most of your kills. The guide also tells you when and how you should be using the alchemy pot, giving you weapons early in the game that are insanely powerful. Using the alchemy pot I only had to buy weapons if I needed them as ingredients for uber gear. I started to rely on the guide completely to advance in the game though which isn't cool.

Once I got past the area I gave up on the first time I just....stopped. I have no idea why since I was enjoying it and it was relatively easy with the guide, it's odd but it has happened a couple of times with games, Star Ocean: Til the end of time being another example.

Once I got past the area I gave up on the first time I just....stopped. I have no idea why since I was enjoying it and it was relatively easy with the guide, it's odd but it has happened a couple of times with games, Star Ocean: Til the end of time being another example.

don't know if it's the same but personally if i'm relying too much on a guide i'll often give up on a game just because it seems a bit pointless, that's why i've never finished majorka's (sp!?) mask :(

never been interested in dragon quest before but after playing persona i was interested in picking this up, reading this thread makes me glad i didn't.

I really enjpoyed going through this but I hit a boss a good 35 hourrs in or so which would require epic grinding, I just couldn't be bothered because about 5 - 10 hours before that already did some epic grinding.

I think it is good, I really liked the characters in a Disney-ish way but under that is a harsh JRPG, I've tried to get into DQ IV on the DS but a similar thing is stopping me, I just don't have time for this kind of game. I would recomend it to someone that does, not in nasty way, just, y'know..

Don't get me into another JRPG please! I bought this a couple of months back and have only had it in the PS2 to see if it works (pretty much the same goes for P4, Yakuza, Yakuza 2, Rogue Galaxy and Odin Sphere! not all JRPG's I know but thats not the point)

Spatular a handheld rpg might suit you better, although I've no idea how often you use your DS

I've not played this for a few days, partly because I was starting to lose my patience with it, but mostly because of other games. Because I wasnt very precise with my last time check I cant be sure how long i've been playing, but I reckon I went through at least 6 hours straight tonight. That's right, no bathroom breaks and no tea! :o It's practically wii fit

I managed to get through the castle, my failed attempt (i scarpered and healed up before saving) stood me in good stead. I knew where a few things were and what not to waste my time doing. I also clocked that Angelo had learnt an ability for his bow where he steal MP, so I spammed that and had him as my healer. Jessica's got enough magic points now so that I can use her spells without worrying too much, her whip is feeble now though, and i havent got the parts to upgrade, so hopefully my next town will have one for sale. She has just gained enough sex appeal for some creatures and Jim to fall in love with her.

After the castle castle I went and did the mole bit, then used a guide to do a bit of item hunting, which wasnt all that worth it tbh, but I did level up a couple of times and rack up some gold. As it stands I'm killing time before I can go back into the magic realm, although I'm tempted to just call it a night. I'm back to being hooked again though

She has just gained enough sex appeal for some creatures and Jim to fall in love with her.

:wub:

IIRC i brought a new outfit for her, a slinky leather number, and had her as my lead party member so i could run around the world map with her.

Oh dear.

Glad your enjoying it Ben, reading your comments is making me want to start playing it again.

Glad your enjoying it Ben, reading your comments is making me want to start playing it again.

Same here actually. I blame Jessica :wub:

Also, I would just like to add that Yangus' whistle ability should be in all JRPGs ever. It makes leveling up so much easier.

I've not used that yet. I forget which rpg it is (might even be DQ5) but there was a potion you could drink to attract more fights, I used it a couple of times when I needed to up my stats a bit.

Anyway I got the boat and crossed the sea last night, right near land I was attacked by 2 giant eel/shark things within about a yard of each other, which I thought was a bit twatty. There's also some squids that are as strong as some of the bosses I've faced, they keep coming in pairs :( Good news though is that I'm on terra firma and the monsters here dont like ice, which has made Boobs useful again

Anyway I got the boat and crossed the sea last night, right near land I was attacked by 2 giant eel/shark things within about a yard of each other, which I thought was a bit twatty. There's also some squids that are as strong as some of the bosses I've faced, they keep coming in pairs :(

THIS

that was the point i stopped playing

Although I'm not really in the mood to I might have to stop for tonight. I should be off to face the jester guy (Dhoulumus or something like that), but to do that i had to fix this magic mirror. I did that but had to use a guide, and the guide has strongly suggested levelling up a bit. It also strongly advised a certain weapon that I can make, unfortunately one of the ingredients costs 6800, and ive got about 3k :( The only plus side is that by the time ive earnt the money I'll have levelled up. The obvious downside is that I've got to aimlessly wander around of spam that whistle thing Yangus (whatever his name is) does.

On DQ5 there was an area of the map that was the only place to find these certain monsters, they were pretty hard, but you got shit loads of gold for killing them, so spending 5 minutes there made all the difference. I could do with something like that here

one of the randoms told me last night that there was an island not on any map, could be the same one. I reckon I'm strong enough to go hunting for it just whether I can be arsed.

I got the alchemy all sorted, but I might still level up a bit. My hero might well be strong enough but him and Yangus are a couple of levels higher than the other 2, also I'm about 3 of those coin things away from some magic staff for Boobs. Although I've no idea where they're hidden so it might be better just to get on with things

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try to avoid spoiling things here. I've put hours into this the past couple of days, mainly walking round the same dungeon trying to level up and earn some money.

I fought the jester, and beat him... until he transformed then he slaughtered me. Which is when I started the grind, which paid off massively, on my second attempt I had no problems whatsoever. Admittedly part of that was because I stumbled onto a move with Yangus (is that his name?) where he twats the enemy with his axe and it weakens their defence. Most stat altering doesnt work on bosses but this was really effective, and when paired with oomph I was doing around 200 damage.

Anyway after that, and i wont go into too much detail here, Boobs leaves so you go back down to a 3 man team, and this time without an offensive magic user of note. My guess is Boobs comes back, but I dont know for sure. What I do know is that this is a bit of a watershed, all of a sudden I have the materials for making better items, and can buy better stuff. The downside is that everything is now harder and so I'm back onto the grind again. Hopefully the tougher enemies = more exp, so levelling and money collecting wont take quite so long.

I think I'm at 60 hours now, and it really does feel like the halfway mark