passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

It's all kicked off. I was expecting a difficulty spike but...

Spoiler

The new Midgar sequence has been testing, with 3 hard bosses, including the 3 turks all coming at me at once, a weapon, and a big robot like the one I got for Christmas when I was a kid?

I struggled a bit, with a few phoenix downs getting chucked about, but the new summons I've grabbed lately are dealing major damage and saving my butt. Reached a save point and a ladder, and I feel I might be at the end of this dungeon. One more push....

5 hours ago, bellow said:

I did. But nothing Barretty has happened yet.

Spoiler

There was a chest near where you drop that only opens with Barrett in the party. He should have had some unique dialogue?

I mean in a way it does detract from the feeling of discovery, when you find that one thing you never knew existed. But these things are never signposted EVER. In years previous to the Internet, if you didn't have the guide, chances are you'd miss said thing on at least one playthrough. For example,

Spoiler

most people never knew Aeris Ultimate Weapon is in the Gold Saucer...

Typically, FF's just have the one ending, so you're ok there. I think FF6 had some extra scenes but that was due to how it was structured. Have you played any of FF1-6?

No. I'm drawing the line at 7, but will be fully expecting to complete 7 -15 over the next year or so. I've done 7 (nearly) 10, 12, 15 (twice).

Might leave 13. Can't find anyone with a good word to say about that one.

FF6 is very good, but a bit more time consuming than you are used to due to its older JRPG mechanics. For example, there are 31 summons/"Espers" in the game, that are more important to the gameplay than just one off spells.

FF 3 & 4 via the DS remakes might have a bit more appeal. There is a steep difficulty curve though.

The others exist via ports and/or minor graphical remasters. They are likely a bit too archaic, as you started with their 3D contemporaries. FF1 for example, you will die in you very first random encounter. Not scripted, just game over. That is due to a caveat of the era it was made in. As The Manual tells you: you start off on the world map. No armour, no weapons, only money. You are directed to walk into the town immediately ahead of you and buy these things. Minus said manual, you will have no idea how ill-equipped you actually are and just start wandering. As Modern RPG's don't start you in such a position and expect you to simply know better.

The catchall answer to all of the above though, is in FF9. Which is basically the love letter to the entire series up until that point. The only minus point is that the battle mechanics are slloooowww (I'm not exaggerating by much) but there isn't a better FF with more charm and characterisation, out there. 

FF13 is basically a glorified tech demo for a new battle system. Everything else, from story to world design to characters took a huge hit to accommodate it.

It looked a bit fancier than the game graphics, so I just assumed it was from the film. Which I've seen once and it made less sense than Spirits Within.  Yet ironically, for the purpose of the meme, a scene from a trailer is thought to be more emotive than the entire Lightning Trilogy.

5 minutes ago, Nag said:

Have you actually played the Lightning trilogy? just out of curiosity @OCH

I played the first one and tapped out just before the Orphan fight. Which I'm told is like when I tapped out of Fallout 3 just before controlling the big mech IE right before the ending.

Orphan was the name of the last boss, right? I barely remember the story to it cause it was all in codex.

I did almost everything in XIII I think, except the very last hunt. Got bored of grinding.

XIII had brilliant combat but not very good anything else so I agree with Och for once. I'm glad they're bringing that combat back for VIIr

BTW @bellow will you be watching Advent Children?

16 hours ago, Nag said:

Lightening Returns)... it's far in front of twelve for me in regards to story and characters... so you can take it that you'd hate it @bellow

I'm not sure why that would follow. I'm not convinced by any of the storytelling in any of these games. Every one I've played has been contrived and melodramatic to the point of embarrassing, with the possible exception of Ys 8. Luckily, I'm able to accept them for what they are on the narrative/character level, low grade fantasy, and revel in what they actually bring to party, immersion, world building and a sense of magic.

14 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

BTW @bellow will you be watching Advent Children?

I've heard of that. I thought it was a game. If it's a movie on the level of that ff15 one, which I actually paid good money for on Amazon, I believe I can live without it.

Anyway, I've just suffered my first wipeout and restart, and it came at the end of part 2, so it was a bit of a Watford Vs Liverpool situation.

Spoiler

Hojo outplayed me from the flanks. After his pseudo Darth Vader revelation moment, he came at me looking rather green around the gills, but I wasn't expecting a multistage boss and left myself low on life for his second form. 

Went back in, and came close to the end again because of his sleep, silence and poison dealing third form, but scraped thru because I had counter on Cid, and enough xpotions to keep everyone in the game. Phew.

And now I'm in the third part of the game. And I'm ready, I think. Mid 60s in level on my main team, Cid, Cloud and Barret. Is that enough?