passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

1 hour ago, bellow said:

Interesting. Would that apply to any ghosty type enemy? I know you can use holy magic, but I haven't got any. Yuna could put massive damage out with her holy spell in 10.

If memory serves, yes. Phoenix Downs and X-Potions in particular are really effective and more plentiful to "waste" on enemy encounters than things like Elixirs. Cure Materia is considered Holy Magic in FF7. Aside from that, there is a relatively well hidden Holy Summon and I think that is it for this game.

I've acquired Cid, a rather foul mouthed astronaut with a lance. Like I said before, I'm not sure I need this many characters. Since I played thru red Xiii's backstory section in Cosmo, I've sort of stopped selecting him. Plus, unselected characters seem to level up anyway. 

What I could really do with now (especially since I got my broken plane to skim around the coast with) is a decent map with locations written on. I'm thinking that's the type of thing that came in the case booklet back in the day, or the guide. I got a bit frustrated last night trying to get my bearings, and where to go to continue the story. By pure chance I managed to get a few clues by some random stops on the map, which included some hardcore fights in places I probably wasn't ready for, and a really lucky stop in the entrance to the gold saucer, which I'd completely forgotten the location of.

Next time I'm in that situation I think I'll just Google a map, which I probably would have done if I hadn't been able to turn off random battles.

You can turn random battles off? ?

In answer to your question, there was no physical map. You literally just explore the shallows with the Tiny Bronco until you hit Plot Wall. I could tell you exactly where to go but, I would recommend you simply explore the map (this is one of two points that the game encourages you to do so) and Don’t google it! When you hit the next bit, you’ll be at the turning point (of no return) towards the end of Disc one...

I’d recommend sticking with Cid too. He’s a strong all rounder.

Yeah, I think the random battle thing is a good thing. In most of the modern jrpgs I've played the enemies are in the field and you can explore at leisure to a reasonable degree. I don't think could have played this game without a couple of these concessions to the modern mindset. 3X battle speed is very handy, and I definitely wouldn't have played this if it were still tied to a home console. Just haven't the sit down gaming time for such an endeavour.

Are u saying there was no detailed map in the official guide book? I find that extremely difficult to believe.

Ha! I didn't. I really did stumble on the info I needed to progress and get the keystone. 

I did think it was all a bit arbitrary, though.

Having said that, I will admit to one Google failure a bit earlier. I couldn't get into the rocket and knew it was the next thing I had to do. Spent a good few minutes effing around until I jacked it in. Had to go into someone's back garden to trigger Cid's mechanic friend telling me what I already knew. Then the rocket door was open?

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Go to gold saucer, there's a little house with a dude in it who will tell you something. Then go to gold saucer to continue plot.

This part of FFVII is shit on a first playthrough. Everyone went to gamefaqs to figure it out.

Let the man play the game for himself.... ?

Not everyone, no. The only time I ever even looked at a guide was to defeat Ruby.

8 hours ago, bellow said:

Are u saying there was no detailed map in the official guide book? I find that extremely difficult to believe.

Nope, I'm saying there wasn't a map in the case booklet, (I didn't catch "or the guide"). I will have to dig out my Brady Guide and check back with you if it had one. I bought it a year or so after the game, purely for the artwork. Since by that point it didn't tell me anything I didn't know extensively myself.

1 minute ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Says the guy dumping the entire enemy skills guide in every FF7 topic

Enemy Skills are not hand-holding through the plot?

7 hours ago, bellow said:

I'm actually finding enemy skills hard to come by. I always try to have 2 players equipped with the materia, but so far I've only copped 3 decent skills. 

Don’t worry, that’s quite normal. You’ll likely get to about halfway through the next Disc before you get even half of them.  As I mentioned before, so accessible from where you are even trivialise boss fights EG Big Guard

enemy skill is busted tbh, the game is more interesting without it as your other materia matters more.

Big Guard is a weird one though because it gives haste which speeds up the barrier decay. If you want an easier time you're better off looking at HP and MP plus materia from cosmo canyon. Basically makes it so it doesn't even matter what level you are.

43 minutes ago, bellow said:

I have cloud, tifa, Barret, Red Xiii, Cid, Aeris, Cait sith.

I quite like using cloud, tifa and Barret, although I'm still alternating at this point for the sake of limits.

I thought so.

Okay, I'd recommend you head back to Mithril Mines, near Fort Condor. On the world map, there are forests in the area. Switch random encounters 'on' and Explore the woods...

I always have random encounters on. I only turn it off when I get lost and they become a chore.

I'm at a recap in gold saucer, waiting for the sky lift to get fixed?. I was planning on doing a bit of exploration/grinding before heading off to the pyramid temple. So I'll do it there.