passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bit.Trip : series

Hendo

Bit.Trip : Beat

It's Pong, with Rez. Will that do?

Instead of using a paddle (which is still probably the best way to play a Pong or Breakout game) you hold the Wiimote in the NES/Excite Truck style and tilt it up or down to move the bat. It's actually a very good way of controlling the bat, and I'd guess much better than if it was done with a pointer system.

The music and graphics are very 8-bit styled, the music being chip tunes. The graphics are very colourful, unless you miss enough balls that the meter on the bottom of the screen fills up and then everything goes monochrome and the music disappears. You still have a faint rumbling of the beat in the controller and when you hit a ball it makes a Pong noise in the Wiimote speaker, but you have to get back out of this by doing well or it'll be game over.

It looks like there's only 3 levels to play through, only one unlocked from the start and I've finished that one. Each level is a different tune to play through, so it's not so much about creating music, more like experiencing how the music should sound when you're doing well.

Only 600 points (about 4 quid) so if you like your games to be arty and experimental, then I'd say give it a go.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's harder than it looks. Well I'm having trouble, I see that there are 3 levels but I can't do the first. The video doesn't show the headache-y bits.

It is fun when it's all going well and I think it just requires more practice than I thought it would.

I think it looks kinds fucking awsome. Im gonna buy the shit out of it.

EDIT: OK, i did buy the shit out of it. It gets very complicated but its quite addictive. It expects a bit much of you sometimes, the bits stop very close to the paddle and then just speed off in some direction. Music does sound good in full effect tho.

So is it actually any good? Doesn't look like there's an awful lot to it. Or is there?

There is, but it's still fairly basic.

It actually feels like an old school shoot'em-up, except you absorb the enemy ships rather than avoid them to win. It even has a boss at the end of the level!

It's all about rhythm, memory and reflexes, so it can be very challenging.

I like it. :)

• 1 month later...

got this today and although there's not much to it i really like it so far, did the first stage, only just though was in black and white vision loads, died early on in the second one, seems really hard, has anyone unlocked the last stage yet?

had quite a few goes of the second stage tonight, ^ that sounds like the bit i keep dying at too :( i think there's a pattern with the white pickups, seems to be pretty important to miss the ones that make the paddle tiny, collect the first one as it makes the paddle bigger, miss the next one, collect the 3rd one as you need it to hit the notes, then miss the 4th....and it's soon after that i die.

Yup, I do that too and thats exactly the bit tha gets me. There is a simple pattern and you just go in the opposite way than you naturally think (ones bouncing from the top deflect at the bottom and visa versa) simple in theory but doing it is a different matter.

• 1 month later...

It's great isn't it! :D

The little blue ones become the least of your problems, trust me.

I still haven't done the second level but I did get past the bit I was stuck on a few times and the level goes on longer than I thought it would, I really want to get past it because Core is out soon, the States have had it a few weeks now so it must be due soonish... maybe along with Cave Story? Please.

• 7 months later...

Bit. Trip Void is now up on the Wii's shop for 600 points.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Its definitely easier that the other two, on my first play I got to the second boss! I never seen a second boss in a Bit. Trip game! It even has checkpoints.

Basically you are a black pixel that eats the other black pixels and you avoid the white ones, the whities hurt you. You swell up with every black you eat so while you are swollen its easier to hit more pixels, black or white, so its a case of knowing when to hit A to revert back to your normal size. I was a bit worried about Void, it didn't seem as good as the others going from the things I'd seen but once you play it first hand its pretty good, I don't like it as much as Beat but atleast it doesn't have me screaming like Core did.

I really like the graphics in this one, too. At first I wasn't sure about the way your score and multiplyer were part of the background but It grew on me, it keeps the screen less cluttered. It looks nice.

And here is their next game, Bit. Trip Runner.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm really looking forward to that one, its like a trippy, 8-bit Mirrors Edge. :)