passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 2

HandsomeDead

I've played it today so I'm starting a thread.

I still love it, but it does feel like a continuation of the last game. Since I haven't stopped playing that it almost just feels like I went mental with the download option and just got 80 odd new songs, including an awful Paramore track.

What I do like what they have done is turning the single player mode into band mode from the last game because that was the most interesting thing. You pick a City you want to go to with a selection of bars/clubs/stadiums with certain songs or full sets go go with them, fuck up and you don't get money and lose fans, succeed and your on the road to stardom. And now you don't have to play with mates to do it, you just do it at your own leisure. It's much more interesting than the normal do five songs then do the next lot of old.

I've only used the drums so far and it's not any different bar a slight alteration to the fills and now in some tracks there are drum solos akin to that found in the original Rock Band's guitar parts (where the road goes blue and you get ranked at the end).

So what is everyone elses excuse for not having it yet?

So what is everyone elses excuse for not having it yet?

I'm getting GHWT for christmas so this is going to have to wait. I do want this though, it's amazing how similar the track lists between the two games are, but at the same time how they've both got my favourite bands that arent on the other (Alice in Chains, Rage, Pearl Jam vs Tool and At The Drive-in)

Spatular needs to hurry back from Japan so we can play his copy of this

i didnt even know this was out till i saw it in my local zavvi yesterday

i want it but then again i want GHWT too

jus a case of not affording it till i get paid and i still need to save =[

just downloaded the killers track pack though for rock band so im gna try that out tonight with a friend

i think GHWT has more music i wana play with songs off new oasis album and i rekon they will cater to some of my fave bands like kasabian

would love to see some arctic monkeys dlc too

i want this new one though

bob dylan yeeeeeeh!

I'm getting GHWT for christmas

Pfft. Heratic.

Blasphemy, another one!

Since the setlists are so alike and the same songs will probably available as DLC I decided I would just stick to one band game.. and I'm a hopeless Harmonix fanboy. As for setlists, both games need moar Muse.

I do want this but a combination of music game fatigue has set in, and wanting to back the right horse.

This or GH? Well, GH has Tool, but Rock Band is a much better made game than Guitar Hero, I much prefer the slicker interface to GH's.

I'll be picking this up probably after Christmas (disc only) and I hope Activision fail horribly, because this instrument war can't carry on much longer. There's a recession on, apparently.

Oh, one of my main complaints about the first one (and of course the lack of bass career - fascists!) was that the online multi was a bit empty-feeling, no real incentive to do anything in particular. Can you do a career online? Are there goals you can work through, either by achievements or in-game challenges?

Yes! The career mode is online and is perfect for dipping in and out of. There is no fixed band this time round. I don't know if there is a bass career*, I've still yet even give the guitar a go but what I did notice while fiddling round the menus was a 'battle of the bands' mode which sets whole band challenges or indervidual instrument ones and there is a bass one, I think they change every week or something. They do require downloaded songs though.

*Edit: Well look at that, you can play through all of the world tour mode as a bassist if you are that way inclined.

Blasphemy, another one!

:o i only intend on getting GH if they have better dlc but they hardly released anything for old GH's so thats what puts me off and its more than possible that ill get a few songs i like now n then on rock band dlc

last things i downloaded were killers track pack and foo fighters album. im not into a lot of the dlc that has come out and im hoping thy release some dlc for the strokes cause that would be niiiice

Yes! The career mode is online and is perfect for dipping in and out of. There is no fixed band this time round. I don't know if there is a bass career*, I've still yet even give the guitar a go but what I did notice while fiddling round the menus was a 'battle of the bands' mode which sets whole band challenges or indervidual instrument ones and there is a bass one, I think they change every week or something. They do require downloaded songs though.

*Edit: Well look at that, you can play through all of the world tour mode as a bassist if you are that way inclined.

Nice one. :)

It's a definite purchase then, but it'll still have to wait till after Christmas.

Yay, other people are getting it then.

Of course we should start a band, it would be rude not to make good use of something missing from the last game. I'll be ready when you all get it, I've raised enough cash to make my character from the last game. HandsomeDead, the androgynous zombie glam rocker is back in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a bit of this with Spatular, quite liked it, in fact it kind of renewed my interest in the genre again.

that said the ridiculously limited tracklist you start with is idiotic. I know they've got to give you something to work towards, but there was 3 of us playing and only a handful of songs any of us knew, my brother knew one to any reasonable extent I think (although if he expanded his music taste beyond 3 bands he'd know more :P ). Gritting your teeth to get through a bunch of songs you dont like or know to get to ones you do is fine in single player, but it really doesnt endear the game to new playersI'm sure Guitar Hero's the same and i dont know the solution, but it cant be the best way of doing things

Also, Alice in Chains rule

The tracks are unlocked slower this time due to the nature of how the game is paced now as as some tracks may need replayed, you can't just blast through it on an easier difficulty and unlock them in a day. I have them all unlocked and the later tracks are just insanely difficult anyway.. not that I've actually tried them yet, it just says they are where it shows you the difficuly (Judas Priest - Painkiller has 5 devil horns for guitar, bass, drums and vocals. I think I'll try that one later :huh: ).

I think I prefer the set list on RB2, it seems more varied and interesting to play too as well as having the type of songs most people are gonna of heard somewhere. I even come across a band which - for whatever reason - have completely passed me by, I think De-Luxe by Lush is fucking great but while checking out their other stuff on youtube I found in the comments that out that because I came across them the way I did I'm twat, they didn't actually say that but, you know..

I tried the endless set list too with a couple of randoms (they were pretty cool guys 'n gals), They insisted everyone go on expert despite me saying I don't think I could manage it but they said it's easier with a full band. Makes sense, more people using overdrive and if things do go tits up you can be saved. I had to leave 30+ songs in, I was doing okay but I had to leave because I was knackered, how the hell does anyone do that?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the weird thing is is that this game is £45 bloody quid in Game, and £50 in Gamestation. God knows what the fuck's going on there, as I had to buy it for £45 due to me leaving it too late for online deliveries. Anyways, this is now under the tree, waiting for Thursday. Suhweet.

• 2 weeks later...

It was worth it though, this game fricking rules. The setlist is absolutely awesome, aside from a pun songs (Welcome to the Neighbourhood) and the kind of meh Paramore. Is Hendo getting this then? We should start an MFGamers band as that would be at least 3 of us playing on the 360.

Does the drum kit fold away? I am thinking of getting this but I have no space at all to keep the instruments. I already have a GH guitar and a Wiifit board taking up space - not sure there is room for another guitar and a drum kit.

Is it worth playing without the drum kit?

Does the drum kit fold away? I am thinking of getting this but I have no space at all to keep the instruments. I already have a GH guitar and a Wiifit board taking up space - not sure there is room for another guitar and a drum kit.

Is it worth playing without the drum kit?

It's great fun in guitar and vocals, but the Drums are probably the main draw to it, yes. The drums come on a stand which can be taken apart easily but the actual drum kit bit can't be.

This weekend I'm gonna be going for the bladder of steel achievement with a few mates. For those who don't know, it involves playing the endless setlist (84 songs) in a row. It takes like 7-8 hours. The bladder of steel achievement makes you do it without pausing. Apparently if the game stops in anyway (Guide, normal pausing), you're fucked. I doubt I'll be able to pee either. :angry:

I can see us almost doing it, and then one of us will accidentally pull out a controller (Yup, this counts as a pause). It'll feel amazing. <_<