passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Space

HandsomeDead

cheers ill! though for such a fan of the game, it was enjoyable throughout. if its your type of game, itll be a cool 1000g for you too so mull it over!

the second time through isnt nearly as nerve racking wiivo, you have all the items carried over from your first time through (if you save when you finish the first), plus a new suit in the shop with lots of armour and some cash and power node bonuses. you can get an 850 gamerscore from going through it twice on any difficulty apart from Impossible (150g for that)

• 2 weeks later...

Consider me an official member of the Dead Space fanclub. :D

I took it down to a mate's place last night, thinking he would play through it for the first hour to see what it's like, but because it was still in wrapper he refused to touch it so I went through the first 3 hours with running commentary from him.

This does mean though that I'm going to have to do everything again from scratch as it was on his machine. :(

Loads of things worth mentioning:

Love the lack of HUD - they've really thought the display out well.

The lighting effects and sound design alone will make you poo yourself.

Looks astonishing on my mate's 1080p bastard of a telly.

The weapons are ultra satisfying - bought a pulse rifle, line gun and the Ripper I think. Upgraded the suit as well due to a lack of space in the inventory.

I can see all the influences clearly and that does make it slightly less original but there's still nothing else doing the same thing out there right now. There's definitely bits of Bioshock, Doom 3, Resident Evil 4, Gears and Metroid in there but it still feels really well done and polished and not a cheap rip off.

One touch I thought was genius was the map screen.

I started off really paying attention to what I was told and where to go, what each door said on it to figure out if I was in the right place - then I noticed that the map screen shows you a GPS route of where you need to go, which is a mighty, mighty good thing. Like the bread crumbs in Fable II, it's entirely optional that you can just ignore it, but for numpties like me who end up getting majorly lost, it's a god send.

Nah, it's really very good so far, but I couldn't pick anything other than Burnout for GotY. 100+ hours says nothing else comes close.

But Dead Space is definitely up there as one of the most impressive new IP's I've seen. The only problem I can see happening is repetition creeping in - wander here, move block, blast off limbs, wander back, blast limbs, etc.

Is there more variety in missions and enemies to come?

To put in perspective, I got near the end of Chapter 3, just after the bit where

you get grabbed by the massive snake-like thing with the yellow sac you have to shoot

Turned off the lights, turned up the sound and booted this up last night for my "proper" go through.

There's a few things I missed last time, like making you aware of Isaac's girlfriend a few times (I can see where that's heading), the glare lighting effects in the opening sequence and some of the text logs which I'd picked up before but not bothered to read.

I've now got just further than I did originally, right at the start of Chapter 4.

I'm going for the "stick with the original weapon" achievement on Normal setting so I might have made a grave error.

Can you also buy the other guns to get it, just not use them?

Also I've read that your items and suit level will carry over once you've finished as long as you carry over on the same save, is this true? I'm not so interested in playing through on Impossible mode but I'm taking my time exploring at a leisurely pace on this run and I could see myself burning through a second time on Easy with all my powers and cleanign up the remaining things to do.

Turned off the lights, turned up the sound and booted this up last night for my "proper" go through.

There's a few things I missed last time, like making you aware of Isaac's girlfriend a few times (I can see where that's heading), the glare lighting effects in the opening sequence and some of the text logs which I'd picked up before but not bothered to read.

I've now got just further than I did originally, right at the start of Chapter 4.

I'm going for the "stick with the original weapon" achievement on Normal setting so I might have made a grave error.

Can you also buy the other guns to get it, just not use them?

Also I've read that your items and suit level will carry over once you've finished as long as you carry over on the same save, is this true? I'm not so interested in playing through on Impossible mode but I'm taking my time exploring at a leisurely pace on this run and I could see myself burning through a second time on Easy with all my powers and cleanign up the remaining things to do.

Nah, not at all, not used the other weapons (saving that for a second play through when Swallow's finished with my copy) but I think that weapons excellent and powerful enough whenever you upgrade for nothing to be too difficult to overcome. I like how you can quickly switch its firing angle too depending on the direction of the limb you want to lop off.

And yes, you can buy the other guns but not use them and still get that achievement. Thats what I did as I had far too much cash when it came to the final chapter. Not sure if the items etc carry over, if they do I'll definetly notch up the difficulty level

^ what riva said hendo. the plasma is the best all round weapon in the game, lots of ammo, accurate, great secondary fire mode, and none too shabby on the damage front. I went through on normal difficulty and got the plasma cutter achievement first time through, it wasnt a big deal. just upgrade it as often as possible, slam the damage up first where possible

i went damage, capacity then reload speed and firing speed equally. just so i could keep more of the ammo enemies were dropping. for a lot of the game i just couldnt pick it all up even with the maxed capacity on the cutter! (which only affords you another clip and a half or something anyway)

any way you do it, this guns a beast :)

on the impossible run, i recommend plasma cutter and line cutter. they cover all situations and you will have plenty of nodes left over for your suit and stasis module if youre only upgrading two weapons. upgrade the cutter, then your stasis module, only upgrade the rig if you need to as those health boosts from upgrading your HP are a great help. upgrade the line cutter last, itll come in handy at certain points in the second half of the game. dont bother upgrading the kinesis module, you dont need to.

I spent today finishing this off and now I really miss it already. It might be the first game I go back to and play on a harder setting! Never really seen the point in that before but it's just so much fun! This is possibly my game of the year... it outclasses almost everything else I have played.

(Incidentally, I tried Tomb Raider and Farcry 2 over the last hour, both seem total pants in comparison, I don't think I'm gonna get on with either of them :( , really lame...)

For sure it is!

I nearly didn't bother picking it up either, sooo happy I did, although also not, as its made 1/2 my recent game purchases pointless...

I can't play Tomb Raider, the visuals are soo hit and miss and I last turned it off when I was standing in thin air after walking off a ledge. I doubt I'll bother with it.

I only noticed one graphical glitch in Dead Space (just my gun going through an object, hardly noticable) and until then I'd not even considered it, everything just worked solidly. I was mainly freaking out too much to notice anyway I guess, lol.

Spent some more time with this last night, up to Chapter 7 I think, so over halfway.

Still really love it though it's getting very tough with just using the one weapon. I've upgraded it mostly to its fullest, only a stat on capacity and speed left which I can leave so I'm putting my nodes into my suit and stuff now.

Once I got past section 6 I carried on in one sitting until it was done, I just couldn't stop!

Glad to see others are enjoying this as much as I did, I dunno how you are coping with one weapon though Hendo, I had to start upgrading another towards the end, it got hard!!