passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars : The Old Republic

Jimboxy

Star Wars Bioware MMO official.

..What's more interesting is that this announcement's so damn early. Much of the game's still up in the air -- or, at the very least, in the "we can't talk about that yet" stage. What BioWare was able to talk about were ambitious concepts that, if pulled off, could be awesome. The idea that every character class is the equivalent of a whole game in itself, via a unique experience and quest progression that's completely different than every other class? Having companion characters à la Baldur's Gate II, Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect, but with even newer, crazier ideas that didn't make it into those previous games? The core concept of having an epic BioWare RPG, but online and with a whole bunch of other people? In an extension of that claim, a game that has the same harsh choices you'd make in previous titles, but without the safety net of a quickload -- since you can't "save" in an MMO -- so your decisions stick with you forever? It all sounds amazing...

Could be interesting, KotOR are still the best star wars games so this could be fantastic, however it could be rubbish..

1UP

another MMO?

Wash your mouth out young man, this not another MMO, this is an MMO based in the most fantastically realised universe ever. As if that werent enough, its made by the people that did three of THE best games ever made, KOTOR 1 and 2 and Mass effect (KOTOR 3). Mass effect being so good that it managed to pull in gamers that were typically dead against this kind of genre, I think im justified to leap right on the hype train with this one, well before its even pulled away from the station.

Even Jimbo who hates/loves starwars games like some kind of insest relationship has admitted that the KOTOR games were good.

This will be the first MMO that I properly get into, and depending on how it turns out might be the last...

Even Jimbo who hates/loves starwars games like some kind of insest relationship has admitted that the KOTOR games were good.

true in so many ways :weep: :weep: :weep:

Bioware have never made a bad game, so i can't see them starting with this. Its ground there comfortable with, plus there not adverse to trying new things, and making them work. Plus they have done more for stars wars credibility than George has since the Star Wars Christmas Special.

• 2 years later...

Found the old thread for this, so will revive.

The three cinematic trailers for this game have been amazing, although as many people are saying, it shows up the in games graphical shortcomings. Looking at my previous post, three years ago (cant believe it was that long ago) im not entirely sure that I will get into this. I just dont know that ive got the time to play an MMO, even if they had released KOTOR 3 I dont know that id have the time to sit and play that as throughly as it would deserve, especially with Skyrim out soon.

Ive already heavily bought into the story and the idea of taking part in it as it unfolds...going to wait for it to come out, see what the subscription pricing is going to be and what the initial feedback has been, but I dont think I can be an MMO player.

Playing an MMO is tough at times, more so when you reach the end-game content. I play WoW on and off but find I can no longer spare the time to raid, which is annoying as it means there is essentially nothing left for me to do in the game :(. You could just enjoy the single player side of things, following the story through questing etc, then quit once you feel you've had enough.

I'd love to get involved in this as it looks amazing, but with no Mac client on the cards (angry.gif), and no PC good enough to run it, looks like i'll have to wait until one or the other comes along.

Watched the three cinematic trailers for star wars old republic and suddenly I'm hooked and actually considering playing a MMO....

Been burned by Lucas's whoring too much that Star Wars has almost no appeal for me now. :(

Yeah totally understand that, were it not for Bioware's track record and the fairly close relation between this game and KOTOR games then I would have dismissed this a while ago, I think I'm going to have to apply a bit of common sense and at least wait until it's been played a fair bit. This talk of limiting the amount of initial players, while in theory a sensible move, has me pretty worried about potential play quality at luanch. I'm effectively looking at playing this game as an online single player and then will go from there, if the initial reviews are that it works well this way then that would settle it for me.

In a roughly news related way, reports are that the game contains 700 hours of unique story content, although people that have played the Beta say that one classes' playthrough would take about 50 hours to reach the level cap and play the majority of the main quests.

Word on the grape vine down low on the QT is a release date of 14th November, although a fellow in Game told me it wa put back until 2012.