passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

de Blob

HandsomeDead

After marveling at the awesome if a lil' cheap but still awesome de Blob figure that came with my copy of the game I've been playing it a little. What I've witnessed so far is to much hand holding, even in the second level which I've just finished, I'm still getting taught things which arn't difficult and could of been covered in the first level. I suppose it's to be expected since it's a platform game and is on the Wii so those 'c' word gamers can get into it.

Thats not to say it isn't fun and there is scope for some great ideas. Infact the way the game is presented is brilliant. The cutscenes are well animated and kinda funny at times, also it's anti-capitalism story all wrapped up in innocent colourful style is great. Rolling around colouring the drab enviroments while the music gets more layered is a nice touch and since I finished the levels with quite a few of the collectables unfound probably means there is more exploration to do than I thought.

So far I'm enjoying it purely out of it's therapeutic effect it has and fighting propaganda by painting things purple is always going to amuse... Plus I fucking love colouring.

Money's a bit tight at the mo, and last week there loads of great games out at once.

Unfortunately I could only afford one and in order of preference it was Pure, Wario Land and then this. It does look like the kind of thing I'd be all over.

And who doesn't fucking love colouring?

Had a quick go of this before and it seems really good. I've only done the first level proper (coloured that satellite dish thing) but it's not quite what I was expecting, not that I know what i was expecting. It's a bit like the Grim games in that you affect everything you touch, maily buildings and trees and the like. You're a blob that can change his colour (important for coloured themed challenges), the Ink people have made everything drab and grey and it's up to you to bounce around the place spreading colour. It involves a bit of platforming to get to some of the buildings and avoid obstacles, and a bit of OCD if you want to free the towns-people (colour a block of buildings and it frees the little people)

Agree with PTG that it looks and sounds great, suits the moment because capitalism's failed, and showing you the stuff you missed is going to add replay value or at least get you to play the levels properly

I think the only critacism without nitpicking would be the controls. They work fine on earlier levels but once some actual platforming comes into play things get fiddly. Flicking the remote to jump isn't always responsive and sometimes you unwillingly stick to a wall then a gentle movement in your wrist launches your blob away from where you want to be. The slow moving camera isn't good either, as most missions are timed sometimes you just stand there wrestling the camera in position for your next jump.

Maybe I wasn't expecting some slightly accurate platforming and maybe it's my lack of spacial awareness getting me into trouble. But then it's because I on't play this sort of thing often is why I like it, it feels fresh since Mario Galaxy is the last thing like this I bought.

I've finished the fourth level but I haven't touched the alternative missions so I think there is quite a bit of game in there, especially since a full level takes just under an hour, well it does for me, I just have to colour everything. It could be done in half the time.

Control wise PTG has got it spot on, the jump is a bit incosistant, you'll easily be able to climb a building one time then spend 30 seconds bouncing off it the next. You do sometimes stick to them and bounce off (part of the design) and the camera isn't great. It all moves a little slow too, like in the 50hz days. However it is still really good fun, I couldn't tell you exactly why it is but I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it

• 5 months later...

BUMPZILLA! :lol:

I am enjoying this so far. The washed out look of the levels before you dump colour all over them reminds me of an advert for something that was on a while back. The music is really good too, I find myself painting stuff purple just to get the funk influenced guitars. It defiantly feels fresh after playing RE4.

• 2 years later...

I dont think there's a thread for the sequel so I'll dump this here.

On and off I've been playing De Blob 2 this past week. It's got a few changes from the first game, most notably that there are now some 2d sections. These still work the same way as the 3d sections, you need to paint things certain colours, hit switches to activate things, and pound enemies, the difference is they're a bit more puzzle based, and take place indoors.

Beyond that the difference is pacing, it's a much easier experience to start you off. I'd begun to assume that they'd scrapped the larger enemies of the first game because getting on for 3 hours in and none had appeared. Not a bad thing, the controls are a bit sluggish at times, the camera is awkward and slow, so dodging cannon fire tended to be a pain in the arse in the first game. Getting in to world 4 and 5 though and they've started to appear, and as such the game clock (you get a countdown timer to finish a level, with various ways of getting more time) has begun to feel meaningful.

There's something a bit heavy going in the De Blob games, I can't place it, and I dont think the urge to paint everything and finish every challenge helps, but it does start to drag even though what you're doing is pretty fun.

Anyway that wasn't what I wanted to talk about, what I wanted to mention was the story. The first game was very anti-establishment, 'the man' wanted everything ordered, grey and uniform, Blob and friends lead a rebellion to bring some colour and variety to the world.

Fair enough, same plot as a million kids cartoons. De Blob 2 though is a bit different, this time it's not just the government taking a kicking, the game is firmly anti-religion. In de Blobs world religion is a means of control, it's corrupt, influences elections, serves to give power to the powerful and keep every day folk down. I can't say I disagree but it's a bit odd seeing what is ultimately a kids game take that approach