passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo DSi

Hendo

Apparently

Nintendo will launch a new iteration of the DS by the end of the year, according to the Nikkei business daily (as reported by Reuters).

Apparently the new DS will include a music player feature, and you'll be able to use it to take pictures. It is expected to cost less than JPY 20,000 (GBP 105 / EUR 130) - so perhaps a bit more than the current DS, which retails for JPY 16,800.

Nintendo has issued a "no comment" response to the report, stating, "We are always developing new products. However, since nothing has been announced officially, we are unable to comment at this time."

That press conference Nintendo is hosting this Thursday could be interesting.

A mate asked me the other day if it was worth buying a DS Lite or is there a new version on the way, to which I replied, "there's always rumours going round". But this could well be true.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though Nikkei Business Daily leaked word a little early, the Nintendo press event being held tonight in Japan has confirmed the existence of a new DS. The model has been dubbed the DSi, reports the Wired Blog, and Nintendo President Satoru Iwata says he believes it will help them reach an even wider audience. (Seriously, wider?) The updated model is set to release in Japan on November 1, 2008 for 18,900 yen (about $180 USD). It will launch in white and a matte gray finish, though knowing Nintendo, more colors are sure to follow. There's no word on a US release at this time, but tomorrow's American press event looks promising for those details.

The new handheld is 12% smaller with a larger 3.25 inch screen, and lacks the Gameboy Advance cartridge slot to accommodate the sleeker feel. It also features a 3 megapixel camera with picture editing functions using the touch screen. Music playback functions weren't mentioned explicitly, though it does allow users to adjust pitch and playback speed when playing sounds. This doesn't seem to be the mp3 functionality many assumed; instead, it's said to help for the DS' popular Japanese non-game segment like language learning. And for those who don't have enough devices to check the tubes with, it also packs its own Web browser.

The memory is also seeing a large upgrade. A new SD memory card slot allows you to take photos from the DSi and transfer them directly onto the Wii's Photo Channel. This DS also adds new on-board memory that will house downloadable games. Wii Points are being renamed "Nintendo Points" for the move, which along with the removal of the GBA slot suggests none-too-subtly that a Virtual Console of sorts could be in the works for the device. For now, though, we have word of "DS Ware" that will come with four price points: free, 200, 500, and Premium at 800. For Japanese audiences at least, buying a DSi before March 2010 gets you 1000 Nintendo Points for free. Finally, there's mention of a revamp of the DS download kiosks, including a new "Nintendo Zone" service available at McDonald's restaurants.

1UP will be attending Nintendo's American press event tomorrow (Thursday), where we hope experience the DSi for ourselves. Check back for impressions.

125.jpg?r

1Up

Looking pretty sweet.

Oh man, no doubt I'll be forking out for this. Love the all-matte finish of the black one.

It's meant to have 'better wireless features', isn't it? I wonder if this means WPA support, instead of WEP.

November 1st? Damn, I'd best get saving. I'll be getting me one of these beauties, I just can't help it.

Yep, I need to sell some stuff and raise some fundage!

Do you think they've upped the security to block slot-1 flash cards? I don't even know if it's possible to do so if it still plays normal DS games. I reckon they'll block the R4 firmware from working, but the others will get through.

Won't the larger screen make current games look a bit pants if they get upscaled? Also, AAC, not MP3!

Play-Asia have them listed already - http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-170-49-en.html

The DSi also has a new menu screen.

dsi04.jpg

Another pic

i think they might block slot 1 loaders, but i reckon the hackers will just make some firmware based around the SD card slot instead.

I really like the look of it. If i can palm off the old DS on the missus that'll give me an excuse to buy on of these.

Just had a thought, there's a possibility that the DSi will be region specific, isn't there? Now it has a menu system similar to the Wii, it could work the same way in that the menu screens can't have their languages changed? Although I guess games wise it is region free... Hmm, will have to wait for confirmation.

And a pic of the volume buttons, similar to the GB micro.

dsi.jpg

More info!

Update:

We previously stated that DSi will come with one 0.3 megapixel camera, but judging from various reports and pictures of the new handheld, there may actually be two cameras, one on the outside and one on the inside, located right about where the microphone is on the DS Lite. We'll report back to you when we have more information.

Update:

We can now confirm that the DSi will only have one touch-screen.

Update:

Apparently, there might have been a translation error and the DSi has just one touch-screen. We're looking into the matter and will update with a confirmation one way or the other.

Original Story:

The rumors were true. As soon as Nintendo started their conference in Japan, they confirmed that there will be a new DS model coming out. The official title of the device is the Nintendo DSi.

Iwata stated: "At the pace the Nintendo DS has been selling, you might think that the market has been saturated. But we believe we can still expand it."

On the cosmetic side of things, this version will be 12%, 2.6 millimeters lighter, and the GBA slot present on DS Lite handhelds will be excluded. The system will gain a camera and MP3 playback in place of the GBA compatibility. The Nintendo DSi camera will contain 300,000 pixels. Both screens will be touch panels, and photographs should be able to be manipulated through the touch screen. The pitch and playback speed of sound on the Nintendo DSi can be adjusted at will.

Both screens will be increased to 3.25 inches. Also included is SD card support. The system will have on board storage, built-in applications, you can download new apps, you can take titles you've downloaded to the DSi with you. The system will also have a built-in internet browser.

Nintendo will offer DSi Ware titles. They will range from free/200/500/800 Nintendo Points-- formally known as Wii Points. Systems that connect by March 2010 will receive 1,000 free Nintendo Points.

The DSi will launch on November 1 in Japan for 18900 yen. The new handheld will debut in two colors, black and white. We'll see a 2009 release.