passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Swallow

Sorry for the double post...

Taken some snapshots?

Saved them to SD Card?

Annoyed you can't then whack them on your PC in a sexy JPG format?

Well then folks, this is the tool for you - Snapshot Decrypter

It's brilliant!

Now to take some awesome photos.

(these were taken when I first got the game, better ones will follow, oh yes!)

smashbros2.jpg

LinkTrophiesandtheGatesofHell.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what to make of the friend code problem...

... I do hope it gets sorted out.

I have completed the Subspace Emissary, Classic mode (with 1 character), Boss mode, 10 man and 100 man melee and All Star mode (with 2 characters).

Hendo wrote:

But if Swallow can enter his code and see his mates online then that's different and I'm baffled.

Yeah, all in the UK, I could see how many people they were playing with etc. Had no problems playing friends who have the JPN version like me. I'll get testing when I can power up my Wii again.

Played the Classic mode last night. Beat it as Mario on Normal and then DK on Easy (achievement whoring FTW).

I really like the hint system where it shows you, to the left and right of your gift, what things you have to do to get them.

I really don't want to use Gamefaqs to find out anymore at this point, just play it till there's not much left to find.

Last night I sat down and listened to your podcast for the first time. It was the latest one, and it was quite good by all accounts.

Though if I could give some constructive criticism, it would be that you put some variety in your background music throughout the whole cast. It did get to a point where it felt like I was being drilled in the head by the short, repetitive bars that went on for what seemed like hours.

I know that for legal reasons playing commercial music would be a problem, but there must be some other tunes you could use to mix it up a bit.

However, I'm here to write a short response to the statement in that last podcast, about the lack of depth in the game Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

This is in no way an angry retaliation to the said statement, but I would like to open your eyes to the hidden depth, the advanced techniques and the exploitations of certain elements in the game. Elements that show the games more complex structure.

When I first played Melee, and for about a month or two after, I too thought Smash Bros. was a shallow party game. But it was by watching some 'You Tube' videos of a few high-end competitive matches that I realised there was more to this than meets the eye. As with a lot of Nintendos better titles, as you may already know, with say Mario Kart for example, there really is two levels, one which is fun and easy to pick up and play. And one which shows it takes some real skill to master the game at a competitive level.

Brawl is different from Melee, in lots of ways really, but to the untrained eye it is not really noticeable. However, go over to www.smashboards.com and you will find plenty who have.

Melee was full of advanced techniques that utillised the physics and the canceling of lag in certain moves to create a deep metagame that eventually entered the game in the fighters fight tournament Evo.

Brawl however has changed this metagame into something new.

I shall put up some links as I go on which I feel expand on what I am trying to put across.

First of all, as with all of the Smash Bros. games each character has a unique style of play. Some are strong, some are fast, some can fight at a range and some have to be up close and personal. Each have their advantages and their disadvantages.

For example, Pit and Link are quite all-round characters, decent speed, ranged and close attacks etc. Sonic is very, very fast but weak. Marth is fast, strong but has no ranged attacks, and also has a rubbish recovery. Bowser and Ganandorf have strong attacks and low knockback, but also are slow.

On the surface this looks pretty light, but each character has a deeper set of specifics and it is up to you to discover how best to play as these characters.

Check out my favorite from the last game, Marth.

Here you find some character specific depth, he has no ranged attacks, but he has plenty of swordplay available which means you have to get in close, but not too close, for it is the very tip of his sword that deals the most damage, this opens up the spacing game. He has also some very nice special moves which include a shield breaker, a set of combo moves, and a reversal.

But for even deeper techniques go to smashboards Here you will find hidden techniques discovered by the very best at the game, the tournament champions.

Each character is unique as I have pointed out, and by visiting smashbros.com and smashboards you can learn a lot about the fighting styles and techniques that each character has available to them.

In melee it was soon discovered that there were many unbalanced characters, but in Brawl however, the issues have been re-worked and everything seems a lot tighter.

Also in Brawl you have non-character specific techniques. Ones that any and all characters can undertake, and things that we all must take into consideration.

Two examples of these would be the new 'power shielding' technique that involves shielding at the moment of an enemies impacting attack, which like parrying in SF Third Strike enables you to turn the tables on your opponent. Secondly there is the diminishing attack power. This is when one spams the same move over and over again, the power and knockback of the move is greatly reduced. This has pluses and minuses, the minuses are obvious, however, one plus would be, with the lesser knockback there is a greater ability to string together large combos.

Here are some links to many, many more non-character specific techniques.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_uk/howto/technique/index.html

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

Finally I would like to point out, that although fun, it is really when turning items off for a brawl that the hidden depths of the game can really be explored. It forces you to really get to know your character, and how best to aproach a battle situation.

I do hope this has opened some of your eyes to the deeper game that is within Smash Bros. Brawl.

:laugh: I was expecting that!

I'll give a proper response tomorrow but in short, I don't care about all the hidden depth, I just play for fun. I just button mash, hammer the c stick and hope for the best. That's why I love Smash.

leeray666 wrote:

Woah, I forgot. I've also completed all the events as well...

... All 41 of them.

The last one being rather good.

Im so glad theres more events, i think theyre a massive part of the game

Im currently 43% through i cnt believe how much i played it since the day i got it =S

but this question has been going thru my head...

Is this game overhyped?

Hendo wrote:

:laugh: I was expecting that!

I'll give a proper response tomorrow but in short, I don't care about all the hidden depth, I just play for fun. I just button mash, hammer the c stick and hope for the best. That's why I love Smash.

Couldn't agree more!

For me Smash is about the fun (and the beating Hendo and Wiivo, but not Ben, he's gooooood) and the joy of all the extra stuff.

But it is clever in that it can be wonderfully deep if you want it to be, and much like many of the best games ever, its this combination of depth and simplicity that make it soooooo good.

As for whether its overhyped?

Tough one that, to me, it's not, as it is everything I want it to be, and more besides....

But I can understand other people being let down by it, but then they are probably dead inside :P

Leeray: In a bit of a rush so i cant respond properly. We weren't having a go about it for it's lack of depth, that's what I like about it. I know the characters handle differently, and more than just big=strong small=quick. I don't know if it got into the 'cast but we were talking about how some characters suit different stages at one point, and how neither of us knew how to use Olimar properly but could tell he'd end up being really usefull in the right hands.

Imo there's depth to SSB like there was to Strikers, it's about exploiting things, and learning to do that comes from playing the game more. But Smash is hardly Virtua Fighter in the same way Strikers isnt Pro Evo. But neither of them are the most basic games in the world either.

Sorry if this is curt like I say im in a rush, but the angle we (I) was taking was that it's not a 'proper' fighting game and it doesn't have the depth of one, but yeah there is depth there, more than i probably gave credit for at the time :)

It certainly is an unconventional fighting game. But it is a fighting game non the less.

It really wouldn't be here if it wasn't.

Game Profile

Beneath a cutesy surface, Smash Brothers features advanced techniques, deep strategies, and a surprising variety of play-styles. The fierce battles within the community of dedicated Smashers have helped it to forever shed the "kiddie game" image and emerge as serious business.

Smash players embody EVO's competitive spirit and we're proud to invite them to show that SSBB belongs among the greatest competitive fighting titles in the world.

Who is who on the Podcast by the way? Neither of you introduced yourselves, am I right in saying Ben was the one with the deeper voice?

I agree with Hendo, the game really isn't overhyped. Well, not coming from Nintendo anyway, they seem to be quite low-key with how they have marketed this game. If anything it's the fans who have hyped this game, but justifiable by the way, as this game has so much going for it, that it will remain on my play list for years to come.

leeray666 wrote:

I agree with Hendo, the game really isn't overhyped. Well, not coming from Nintendo anyway, they seem to be quite low-key with how they have marketed this game.

Apart from the officially sanctioned and paid for, daily-updated wank fest that is smashbros.com? ;)

At the risk of continuing the can of worms that I'm sure any 1up Yours listener is laughing about right now...the depth.

Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Strikers, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf are all cartoon-like approximations of whichever sport it is.

You can learn all the depth in Mario Kart all you want, learn all the short-cuts, know the tracks like the back of your hand, know which character should go with which kart and on which course, know exactly when to powerslide round a corner, and learn the ultimate in depth which is mastering the snaking technique.

And you can also get blue shelled on the last lap by some cunt who's been last the whole time and zips past you with no skill involved whatsoever.

And the same goes for Smash Bros.

Take out the items and you really are missing the point of the game.

We had a MK tourn last year and the final was me and illdog (ill won by the way, as his current mouse-over suggests ;)) and for one GP ill suggested doing it item-less.

It was boring as fuck!

I like the randomness of all these Nintendo sports games but the depth keeps you playing more often.

Some may play it in proper tournaments but that means nothing to me, there's a reason I don't like SF, Tekken, VF, SC etc but I love this, and it's down to it's craziness.

I understand what your saying. Having the items on in Smash Bros. is fun. But I have to disagree when you say that without this random element it wouldn't be Smash Bros. And I believe I wouldn't be alone in saying that, especially among the competitive community. However, I'm not saying that it has to be played in this way, the amount of options available for you in Smash allows you to play the game pretty much however you like.

I enjoy both. Hell, I enjoy playing Smash Bros. with the items on high and restrict it to just Pokeballs. That is absolute mayhem.

But it really is up to the individual and how they prefer how to play the game.

However, it is without doubt that this game does indeed have a great deal of depth to it, and that is the only reason for my statements.

Anyway, argument aside. I am aware that Nintendo, or rather Sakurai had set up smashbros.com, but the only real official resource of information on the game while it was being developed and beyond being restricted to one website really is low-key by any games companies standards, especially when it's a title that garners a lot of attention.

Ignoring the depth issue for now (which we all seem to agree on just not the inches per fathom). I've been playing the Space mode and it's actually really good. Given how long it takes to get through I was expecting to get pretty sick of it quite quickly, but it actually works.

It's maybe not quite enough to justify a proper game on its own, but as a bonus it's brilliant at keeping you playing the single player