passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

SEGA Superstars Tennis

Hendo

Sega pillages back catalogue for new tennis game

15 playable Sega icons line up for Superstars Tennis.

Sega's next tennis game isn't Virtua Tennis 4, it's Sega Superstars Tennis. Developed by Sumo Digital the game's coming to PS2, PS3, 360, Wii and DS in early 2008.

It'll feature over 15 playable "idols" such as Sonic, AiAi from Super Monkeyball fame, Ulala of Space Channel 5 and Amigo from Samba De Amigo. In addition to unique attributes, each character also has their own superstar tennis skills.

There's also a raft of extras to be announced soon, says Sega, as well as "platform exclusive ways to play the game".

This will involve online modes for 360 and PS3 and motion control for Wii and DS versions, we reckon. Screens soon.

Could be amazing or shit.

Funny how we were talking about this kind of thing on last week's podcast!

GO PODCAST!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, it sounds liek it'll be a laugh, but then that's true of any game featuring Amigo. Dont see why all versions couldnt be online personally.

Did nintndo say they werent doing any more Mario Tennis games or did I imagine that? I've vague memories of them saying 'no more Mario sports games' but then mario baseball was announced last week

That does ring a bell, but I do remember that Camelot won't be making any more Tennis games for Nintendo, at least I think.

Here's some screenshots for your asses.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85630

ss_preview_Samba___Game_Shot.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

It's got potential but I hope it playes well. Mind you Sumo are a great team and even if they just steal the Monkey Tennis engine, it'll all be fine.

ss_preview_Ulala___Transform_4.jpg.jpg?slideshow=true

Where's G-P when you need him?

A guy at SUMO on rllmukforum in response to there being no online play for Wii version:

Always with the tricky questions...

Right now we're looking at getting the game out on five platforms at the same time. When you have a job like this to face, you look at what is most important on a per platform basis.

For 360 and PS3, there is a lot of interest in the online play, in fact it is almost expected on those platforms. On Wii everyone is expecting motion control (hell I would!) and DS, you want to see it being accessible to all ages and abilities, which means us concentrating on the touch control.

Basically you've got to pick your fights. Right now, we're picking to go with motion and touch control options, over online on the Nintendo platforms.

That said, it is early days. We've a way to go to finish the game so things may change :)

---

S0L

---

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest SoreThumbs

Really hope this has some Download play available.

Do any of you know of any tennis games out at the moment with download play? (apart from Rafa Nadal Tennis - which has a really annoying download play option whereby the person downloading can only play with the stylus).

Hendo wrote:

Is Top Spin 2 out?

Who cares.

Really looking forward to this, if its even half as good as the Mario Tennis games have been its gonna be great (not like Frosties).

But with games like this being more fun online, what systems are people plumping for?

Despite my previous comment of this feeling at home on a Nintendo console, online awesomness is easiest on that darn 360.

On the one hand, I've got a perfectly good tennis game on the 360 that's online (even though it has a fudged system for inviting people in) but on the other this is a game where Sonic can play against Ulala.

It's gonna be a choice between the Wii for control and 360 for online, gonna have to wait till the reviews come in, I guess. It could even turn out to be rubbish.

One thing is certain, the DS version is not something I'm after - as someone said on the other thread, sports games are rarely good on a handheld, if it's made for it, fair enough, but not a multi-format game.

I may end up being completely wrong, but hey.

Eurogamer's preview

This makes me more interested about it.

They pretty much confirm it's using the Virtua Tennis engine, there's 16 characters (though only 6 available from the start).

Characters include "Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Amy Rose and Eggman (from Sonic The Hedgehog), AiAi and MeeMee (from Super Monkey Ball), Ulala and Pudding (from Space Channel 5), Alex Kidd (err, Alex Kidd), Amigo (Samba De Amigo), NiGHTS and Reala (NiGHTS), Gum and Beat (from Jet Set Radio) and one more currently top secret character that we're forbidden to reveal for fear of severe reprisals and sullen rejection. And, no, it's not Ryu from Shenmue. Or the dragon from Panzer Dragoon. Don't be silly."

Plus court styles including "Green Hill and Scrap Brain Zones (Sonic the Hedgehog), as well as Coconut Beach (OutRun), Monkey Island (Super Monkey Ball), Galactic Cruiser (Space Channel 5), Shibuya Cho (Jet Set Radio), The Curien Mansion (The House of the Dead), Aqua Garden (NiGHTS), Carnival Park (Samba De Amigo) and one more we're bound and gagged not to reveal yet. On top of that, the obligatory daft mini-games will be inspired by The House of the Dead, Puyo Pop, Space Harrier, Samba De Amigo, Virtua Cop, and a few others we, again, must take to our graves. Assuming we meet our doom between now and mid March. You never know who's in the trees. Waiting."

Really can't wait for this now.

The clincher - "UK:R will be in heaven."