passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Turn-based vs RTS

Hendo

Ben wrote:

There are a few rpg's that I'd count as strategy games. Shining Force isnt a million miles away from Advance Wars, and from there it's not a big jump to Fire Emblem and the like

Genre's eh, who needs them? Well we do now i come to think about it

If anything Fire Emblem is more strategic seeing as if a unit dies thats it you cant just replace them with another nameless grunt. So yeah FE Shining Force and the like should really count.

everyone should buy Ecoris

:D spring next year for that I can't wait finally I'll be able to play the online match mode and of course finally work out how the map editor works. It beats the pants of any console RTS I've ever played and of course the cute factor is through the roof.

illdog wrote:

Oh, was this strictly about strategy games? I tend to skim read so may have missed some vital content.

Nah, it wasn't just about strategy games. I should've called it Turn-based vs Real-Time but hey ho.

Some turn-based stuff I really like but they're the Mario RPG games and maybe it's no coincidence that it's only the battles that are turn-based and the rest is action?

I dunno, I'm like ill - I just like going for it and hammering my enemy like a screaming nutter and balls of steel (but lacking in the skill). Mind you, Puzzle Quest is also all about taking your time, building up stats and carefully choosing your turn, so who the hell knows what goes on in my brain?

Then I can seriously recommend Battle For Middle earth 2 for your 360 should be cheap now as its a year or so old and its brilliant for getting quick skirmishes going though I will say do not take it onto Live against random folk as if the PC version is anything to go by you will get your arse handed to you and then some. For the DS Ecoris is the best RTS but then you know what high reguards I hold Age of Empires in.

Again just the sound of it doesn't do anything for me, Centy. But Command & Conquer 3 does!

RetroEd wrote:

I've got a tip Hendo, try the original GBA version of Advance Wars.

Funny you should say that as I actually bought the 2nd GBA one when it came out but struggled with it then. After all the praise for the DS one I bought that in an attempt to get into it, but yet again, failed.

I've still got Advance Wars 2 around somewhere I think but I doubt I'll ever enjoy it.

I stil might give the new DS one a chance when it comes out, but it could just be a waste of money for me.

That action-based mode in Advance Wars 2 is great stuff though!

Hendo wrote:

Again just the sound of it doesn't do anything for me, Centy. But Command & Conquer 3 does!

Command & Conquer 3 is the same game just set in the future with big super mass destruction weapons and i mean literally the same game its the exact same game engine and the mechanics are identicle, really I find BFME2 to be much more fun plus its Lord of the Rings so cool cavalry and spawnable hobbits to use as cannon fodder you cant go wrong.