passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Prey

Jimboxy

Today whilst job hunting in the city center i thought i'd drop into gamestation see if there was anything dirt cheap to keep me amused now bioshock is done. I went for Prey (£12.99 2nd hand). I've got to say so far i am really really impressed with it. Don't know if anyone else played this when it first came out but its basically a FPS with odd dimension twisting elements, kinda hard to explain and even more confusing whilst playing, but not in a frustrating sort of way. Its an odd mix of aliens taking over the earth, Cherokee Indian ideology and there is a little bit of stargate in there to. Worth picking up, esp for just over a tenner.

Also on PC and PS3 I think, I know it's on PC for sure but not so sure about PS3.

I've (attempted) to play the demo on the PC, but my machine said no, and I've played the demo on the 360 and I just found it a bit dull. Still for that price it's still worth picking up as it's not shitty or anything.

And it contains an awesome grandfather-squishing machine!

I got this back when it first came out on the PC, and i enjoyed it loads then. I recently picked it up for a tenner from choices as an ex-rental for the 360 and chinned through it again. Worth a tenner of anybody's money as it will keep you entertained - the humor's very Duke Nukem as its made by the same team :)

When i was done i part exchanged it in Gamestation to the tune of about £8! Which isnt bad either really.

Now you've got it Jimb i wish i'd of kept it so we coulda tried the online deathmatches... there was literally no-one on it anymore :(

I reckon I'd be best to pick this up cheap before HL2: The Orange Box comes out and Portal blows its brains out (and yours too by the look of it)

Yeah as i said i'm really enjoying it to, plus i've gone a bit FPS mental at the moment as its taken me roughly 8 years to get to grips with dual analog controls :mellow: gonna try to finish this of today then might take it back and re-exchange it at GS with bioshock (£30 trade in for tin edition!) for Halo 3.

• 1 year later...

Ive been playing this since Sunday. I have really mixed opinions of it, at first i hated it with a passion, it seemed so boring and i like my games with blue skies and green grass, this has black - black everything, its dark and confined. I was hoping after the third chapter i woud be off The Sphere (big mutha alien spaceship thing), shows how much i knew about the game.

At the moment tho, me and Prey are getting along. The puzzles are its redemption, some of them are very interesting, the flip you upsidown and then on your side sort of gimmick (which i hated at first) are a pretty good hook and i like the a la carte style level servings, lots of little ones - it makes it easy to pick up and play for half hour.

Ive just done a great puzzle -

I was in the middle of a dark cube and you have to slight the cube of light on the outside around the walls by flipping it around using the wall pannels

- genius.

Still, the dark nature of the game does depress me a little, i have to play it for a bit then play something else just to cheer me up. And Tommy is the shittest main character ever. He says fuck for no reason at all.

boo illdog boo i say.

I think you've got to remember this game is about three years old now, and its amazing how far FPS's have progressed in that time. I quite like the claustrophobic dark nature of it, and i thought Tommy was ok as well. Wonder if the sequel will see the light of day now 3D realms have tanked.

I think you've got to remember this game is about three years old now, and its amazing how far FPS's have progressed in that time.

I conceed that point Jiminey Jillickers, i am judging it after playing Gears 2 and Halo 3 so i suppose it would seem a bit poop-a-scoop amongst those heavyweights. Tommy is still a prize bum champion tho. Yes, racist.

It is a bit old school, it does play like those old PC shooters which I never played. Ultimatly I have fond memories of Prey, especially when you get abducted to Don't Fear the Reaper, I thought that was a nice touch. Tommy is a prick I suppose.

As much as it is a no brainer shooter it did make me feel like a prize cunt for making me kill his missus, I felt like shit for atleast 20 minutes into the next level. Stupid game.

As much as it is a no brainer shooter it did make me feel like a prize cunt for making me kill his missus, I felt like shit for atleast 20 minutes into the next level. Stupid game.

Yea, i just done that bit,

she was hot too :(

I quite liked Prey. It started very well, but I thought it did drag a bit in the middle, made all the worse because I found the living ship pretty gross. It did pick up and I started enjoying it again, especially after the spoiler, which was completely unexpected as the plot development had been pretty traditional up til then.

Prey 2 is coming, but the Duke Nukem guys arn't making it, the guys behind Turning Point and Legendary are making it. Nukem guys will be back for Prey 3 which will deffinitely happen, I bet my dignity on it.

They're the ones who ported it to 360 aren't they? 3D Realms were credited as producers on the first one, rather than developers,whatever that means. I guess that whatever happens with 3D Realms, and who holds the IP will have some effect on if we see the sequel.

just started this, the shooting isnt great and i seem to die a lot, and i hate having to shoot evil spirits to reanimate. those pesky ghost kids did a shit in my mouth

i like the setting/theme (i hesitate to say story) even if tommy is a bit of a pratt. hes our pratt, and hes bumming aliens in the gob so we dont have to! lots of nice little touches, from gameplay related ones like the portals and gravity shit to visual/audio ones and set pieces like those terminals tuned into human radio stations you find everywhere that keep you updated on whats going down on earth to that fucking passenger jet being teleported up to the ship!