passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Swallow

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, third times a charm. That fucking sucked. At least I'm past it now, on to the next planet but that's fir next time I have time to play, I don't have the heart to carry on. My pride taketh a blow and other sayings of that nature.

Oooh, Elysia is pretty, It's nice to be outside.

Why am I not loving this game though? Ive had real trouble with the grapling hook, more specifically swinging from hook to hook. Sometimes for reasons I cant fathom it just wont lock on to the next hook. I would forgive it once or twice but on series of hooks longer than a sequence of two I seem to repeatedly fall to my death. Another problem have is that despite Bryyo and Elysia being too very different places they still somehow feel very samey. Despite taking advantage of different abilities and having different enemies the puzzles feel like they are the same thing over again. I've mentioned the bosses and it didn't help that I just fought another really shit one. The doors annoy me, sometimes you shoot them and they don't open for 4 or 5 seconds. It definitely wins an award for most pointless in-game mechanic - what the fuck is that glowy green/yellow ledge all about? Samus hits it and can now pull herself up over a ledge, its ridiculous, it feels like it's making a big deal out of nothing. All these little things are ganging up on this game and making me not love it as much as I want to.

It's a shame you're not feeling it. The grappling hook has always been a bit iffy but I think in MP3 there are some levels that require more awkward grappling around than the other games so its iffyness rears its head more.

As for that platform grabbing thing, well that's just a weird bit of fan service from the original Metroid where platform grabbing was an ability you found rather than having it from the start. I feel the same about the wall jump from MP2, it's just a bit of fan service.

But I'm working my way through the Prime games now (nearly at the end of MP1) so I'll know better when I get to it as now I'm just going by memory.

I've had a mammoth session on this today and my opinion really turned around, I got the plasma beam and started to open up new areas as well as existing ones. Then... I got stuck. 2 and a half hours of stuck. I need energy cells see. I stumbled across their vague locations by complete fluke buried within the menu's but every time I find a potential location I'm thwarted by a power up I haven't got. On Norion i need a Scattershot. Then I went to Byrron, found a new area and it turns out I need a grapple for my ship that I don't have.

Its so frustrating. I don't want to give up but my urge to play has completely gone, it's no fun constantly hitting dead ends.

EDIT: I cant quit, I woke up jonesing Metroid so I'm not done with this. I didn't finish Echoes due to the giant fetch quest at the end. I always meant to finish that off and never did, I don't want that to happen again cos when this game is flowing its great, I think I'm just gonna have to use a guide to get me back on track. New year new rules and all that bullshit.

How is it going Dog?

I bought this recently along with a component cable and a bunch of other highly rated games in an attempt to see some of what the Wii had to offer. Played a couple of hours so far and it is good fun. The use of motion controls are good fun and I love it games, movies or anything when characters pull something out of a wall, turn it round and then push it back in. So getting to do that is pretty rad. I don't know why I like it so much, probably some weird sexual thing.

I have just changed my suit which made me wonder how Samus' golden suit is so iconic since every Metroid game I play seems to have a different one. Going to play a bit more tonight and hopefully not struggle with bosses too much. I have more or less ran out of stubbornness when I can't figure something out so if I am butting my head against a boss for too long I will just Youtube it.

It was also pretty weird talking to people. I'm not a Metroid expert by any means but from what I remember of previous games it is always just Samus, running round on her own trying to get shit done. So talking to guys in skin tight suits who all looked like Handsome Jack was strange.

I haven't played it since I last posted young Bobby Bobertson of Bobbington Town. Its odd though. I think about it quite alot. It pisses me off that I'm struggling with it and I don't like being shit at games. Back to it this weekend.

My posts in this thread are basically the chronicles of me being a cunt.

I missed an area in Elysia that I had convinced myself I had visited and needed something I didnt have. In my desperation not to use a guide I was just revisiting every area and the area that I missed was a screw attack wall. Makes perfect sense as thats the last power up I got. What a complete ass.

Anyways, progress came fairly steady after that and everything that has followed game play wise has been awesome. Im still on Elysia but I have the grapple for my ship and thanks to alot of aimless wondering I know other places to go to use it.

When this game is going your way it's top draw shizzle.

Nice! Just did Bryyo myself. Not too bad but then I did look up what to do after my first attempt. It had most of the worst things about fighting bosses. It was unclear if I was damaging it. It had regenerating health and restored body parts. Small windows of oppurtunity for damage. On top of that, getting behind the fucking thing was a pain. Shame it didn't constantly spawn weaker enemies for me to fight. That would have been great.

Enjoying it though.

And of course you have to damage him at the expense of your own health. Can't forget that one.

QUESTION!!! Is the lock on in this kind of whack? I was trying to use the strafe dodge move on this boss and the lock on kept on breaking. This has been happening consistently throughout the game. Where I lock on to something and it just stops locking on but I am still strafing and then a couple of seconds later I notice I am just shooting at thin air. It is fine when an enemy is still or relatively slow but if something quickly moves to the right or left it is broken. When the boss used his jump move for example. So is this intentional or am I doing something wrong?

Played this for a few hours solid last night and made a decent bit of progress. Just unlocked the grapple hook for my ship and now I need to go back and collect three components for a bomb. Went back to Bryyo and uncovered the rest of the murals containing the history of Bryyo which I found fascinating. Simple, but intriguing. There was also very little combat which added to the atmosphere of these dead planets which is one of my favourite things about Metroid. The feeling of being alone in these haunting environments and exploring. Good stuff.

Your gonna finish this before me for sure, I don't seem to get much time to play at the moment. And you haven't made as many stupid mistakes as I have either.

I shan't say where you go after the bomb so as not to spoil it but I played for an hour and a half without a save point yesterday, I was getting a bit nervous. Beat another boss, got two other power ups for the suit and off to get a third. Progress people, progress.

I went about an hour without saving yesterday. There are checkpoints in the game. I died once just after a boss because I feel into lava and couldn't get out like a derp and the game put me back just after the boss. The checkpoints still aren't reliable enough to give you any comfort at all though. As for finishing it first. Honestly, I am still expecting to hit a boss that I just can't kill and fuck the whole game off in a rage. So we will see.