passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Netgear Router Setup

Pikman

Hi all,

I installed a wireless router last night. Works fine with my pc and laptop but my DS says it cannot connect as it does not support the security that my router does. Any idea what I need to do? I cannot even get into the setup of the router from my pc, I'm a bit stuck to be honest!

Just checked and it works fine with my Wii though :)

Jon

Yeah it did the same thing with mine actually. I will check this with illman but I had to manually input the WEP key and also the subnet gateway thingy. I had no idea how to find this stuff but if you go to the Nintendo wifi website it talks you through it all. I need to do this again so I will post a link to the pages you will need when I come across them.

You have to make sure your router is set to use WEP (128 bit) security, it's not the best I hear, but as long as your next door neighbour isn't teh 1337 haxxorz, you should be ok.

My Linksys one uses a browser-based utility to sort out the settings, you open a browser and type in http://192.168.1.0 or something like that, I believe most of them work this way.

Cheers :)

I guessed I might have to do that, can't find any of that info from the router at the moment tho, Im deffo being a dumb ass! I just cannot for the life of me find out how to get back to the setup page, its infuriating. I'm new to a lot of this tho I suppose.

Looking forward to hearing from you later

Jon

Look for the wireless security settings, and set it to WEP 128-bit (if possible). You might need to type in a keyword, which will generate a code. Note that code and use it when setting up the wi-fi connection on your DS.

change the password on the router tho (the one you use to log onto the settings) if you leave it as the default it's dead easy to get into your network settings and change them ,basically compromising the security of the network

i't dead simpel to get in because as hendo said it's genrally just password

change it change it change it or bas things will happen

oh yeah

change your password etc etc

in fact everyone chane your passwords, do it now, it won't tkae 10 seconds and you'll be all safe and secure and protected from those hasty hackerzez

• 5 months later...

Right so now I can happily lower the security settings on my router (when Chinzon isn't about) to use my DS. Now I REALLY wanna update my Wii. I get error 32004 everytime and spoke to the Nintendo helpdesk today, after months of trying to remember to do it.

They went through loads of stuff and concluded that it wasn't their fault anyway. Apparently I need to disable the firewall on my router just while I download the updat.e I can still play games online, can't get to the VC without the update though.

Anyone know how I can do this? I have no idea!

Thanks in advance :)

Thats strange cos my router's a Belkin ADSL2+ one, and the Firewall on it is ment to be teh r0XXoRz as when i ran one of them sites that pretend to haX0rZ your computer by testing the ports it said my PC didnt even exist!

Yeah um anyway my Wii and DS have no trouble connecting through it whatsoever...

hmmm