passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Podcasts

Phooey

I haven't listened to it before, but there's a new episode of the Player One podcast out, and it has Shane Bettenhausen on it.

"It's a live episode straight from San Francisco with Regulars CJ, Phil and Greg Ford plus guest Shane Bettenhausen and another mystery guest who pops in halfway through. This week we chat about GDC, Nintendo and what we've been playing, which includes Punch-Out, Exitebots, Batman Arkham Asylum, Terminator Salvation, Henry Hatsworth, Noby Noby Boy and much more. Plus... Ys Book I and II for Game Club."

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/

itunesbadge.jpg

Not gonna bother with the Out of the Game podcast, didn't enjoy the first one.

Anyone hear the last ListenUp from GDC? The Bioware guys were a little boring, I felt, but the conversation with David Jaffe was quality.

Anyone hear the last ListenUp from GDC? The Bioware guys were a little boring, I felt, but the conversation with David Jaffe was quality.

Haven't had the chance yet, infact I'm behind in my podcast listening by about a dozen or so shows. :blink:

The latest Idle Thumbs podcast had me in stitches. They go off on a tangent so much at times, but it's always a great listen.

I feel bad for the Scottish writer who was on the last Listen Up! podcast. He was so wasted. Robert Ashley is a legend, though. BONERZ!!

I felt sorry for the Scottish guy but he was too drunk. I'm not keen on Robert Ashley, he seems to be a smug bastard who tries at every opportunity to sound smarter than everyone else and he derailed a recent RebelFM show to the point where I found it hard to listen to.

Speaking of which, I might unsubscribe from that.

Been listening to Iain Lee's MSN Gamecast recently and it's very good but very short considering it only comes once a month.

Game Trailers Bonus Round with Jaffe, Gerstmann and Pachter.

Having trouble choosing which game you’ll spend your hard-earned cash on this upcoming summer? You and everyone else! In this episode, we take an analytical look at how the video game industry is reacting to the current economic recession. From Jaffe’s impressions of the used game market, Gerstmann’s elaboration on the introduction of OnLive, to Pachter’s forecast of the upcoming year – this is a Bonus round that will go down in the record books!

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusr...3?ch=1&sd=1

I've never listened to Gamespy, Phooey. I unsubscribed from RebelFM weeks ago though, it was so boring and monotonous.

Idle Thumbs this week (title: Pause Theme from Battletoads) was amazing, the part with the Henry Hatsworth talk had me laughing out loud. Seriously, check it out if you like your gaming podcasts with some humour. Good varied and interesting talk throughout too.

The cast for the show is as follows: Chris Remo (Editor-At-Large, Gamasutra), Jake Rodkin (Community Coordinator, Telltale Games), and Nick Breckon (Editor, Shacknews).

Subscribing now and downloading the last two shows.

New Retronauts is up with a new style.

Yeah, this week's episode marks a departure for the show: namely a departure from the standard video game podcast format of four or five blowhards sitting around a table shouting about how everyone else is stupid for an hour or two. I'm not entirely sure why that's become the standard for our little niche, but 1UP Yours pioneered it with panache and everyone else seems to have followed. Unfortunately, it's become increasingly clear that it's a really terrible fit for Retronauts.

The issue is a handful of logistical problems. One, the host (that's me) doesn't do well when he has to out-shout a group of people clamoring to show off their respective game trivia e-peens. Two, now that 1UP is a lonely entity here in the former halls of Ziff-Davis Media and our former sister publications' seasoned and knowledgeable writers have drifted away elsewhere into the industry, finding four or five blowhards who can extemporize at length about the increasingly arcane topics the podcast has to tackle now that we've covered most of gaming's basics...well, that's become a pretty difficult task. If you're wondering why it's been a month and a half since the last episode, that's why: it's become impossible to gather enough people who are comfortable talking about a retro topic for an entire show, get their schedules to match up, and find an opening in the podcasting studio that works for everyone. We actually made two efforts to record in that month but things fell through. To be honest, we were about to call the whole thing off simply due to the sheer impossibility of going forward.

The podcast had seriously outlived its intended lifespan to begin with; it was only launched as a sort of placeholder because 1UP's Classics section had been axed and I needed somewhere I could talk about gaming history. Ideally, that would have been in its own section of the site, but lacking that a video program would have been OK. But we didn't have the resources for that (as I discovered when I nearly died from exhaustion creating the short-lived Bonus Stage), so we settled on a podcast as an unsatisfying third-choice compromise. It only lasted as long as it has because of Andrew Pfister and Sam Kennedy's determination to make it work -- but with Andrew gone along with 2/3s of our potential guests, its time had seemed to come. And honestly, I was OK with letting it go. We have this blog now, which lets us cover a wider range of topics with more depth and variety than the podcast ever did.

Alas, my sense of obligation started nagging at me and engaged my sense of logic. "Hey," they said, "people still want the show to happen. Sam, for instance. We could kill the show and maybe risk Sam firing us in a fit of retro-deprived rage... or we could address the logistical issues with the podcast by applying to it the sam philosophy with which the Retronauts blog is being produced. After all, we've stopped running large, all-inclusive retrospective features on the site, replacing them with smaller, more specific pieces that collectively offer more depth than a single article would -- maybe we should take the same approach for the podcast?" Stupid, stupid sense of obligation.

So, we're trying a new format for the show: a series of smaller segments on specific topics, consisting of one-on-one (or one-on-two conversations as necessary) between the host and someone familiar with and knowledgeable about the topic. There will be less shouting, which means people will complain because the show "lacks energy." There will be fewer large-scale topics, which means people will complain because the show "lacks depth." And so it goes.

I don't expect this new format to be very popular, but that's fine. It's already proven to be more manageable and interesting to put together, and it offers incredible flexibility -- so I figure it's better than the alternative, which is no show at all. Maybe the fact that I actually like this format will translate into something akin to consistency and quality, who knows.

Anyway, this week's show breaks down thusly:

* Introduction (0:00 - 2:44): A less eloquent restatement of this very post.

* Game Boy's 20th Anniversary (3:21 - 24:29): Ray Barnholt chats about the birthday of Nintendo's iconic portable system.

* Vandal-Hearts (25:28 - 42:26): Kurtis Seid discusses what made Konami's PlayStation tactical RPGs so good, and what he thinks of the upcoming XBLA sequel.

* Final Fantasy remakes (43:06 - 1:01:02): Chris Kohler on whether Square has abandoned its Final Fantasy remakes in light of the Virtual Console and PSN releases of the first seven games in the series, or if the company is simply embracing digital distribution at long last.

* Reader mailbag (1:01:49 - 1:51:32): Kohler sticks around, and Jenn Frank joins us to handle your anecdotes about your first-ever videogame memories.

Direct link.

Subscribing now and downloading the last two shows.

It make take a couple listens to get their style, but stick with them, I think they're great.

Good to see Retronauts back, and an interesting new take.

Listened to Retronauts last night and got most of the way through before it was time to sleep. It's not too bad and is definitely a bit more ordered and not so chaotic as usual.

Kieron Gillen is on Jopypod next week. Great.

Retronauts last week was great. I skipped a couple parts, but Jenn Frank is awesome. New episode out now, too.

Also, Joypod was good this week. Apparently the Fiona thing was a setup, sounded pretty genuine at the time so well done!

A Life Well Wasted was polished as ever, although it didn't grab me like the previous two episodes.