passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Picross (All Versions)

stu

Just seen the IGN UK review, they gave it a 9.0 :) Here's the closing comments.

With the arrival of Picross DS, Nintendo's produced yet another practically faultless, top quality puzzler for its unstoppable handheld. Sure, with its minimalist visual styling and paper-based heritage, it's definitely one aimed at the growing army of 'casual' gamers. Don't let that put you off though - Picross DS is simply one of the most addictive, feature-packed timewasters out there. Your journeys into work might never be the same again.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/789/789750p1.html

Been playing this a little bit since the podcast and have to say its enjoyable but for me when it gets to the point where you have to zoom in the game looses me i just cant do it without seeing the entire grid but i have been playing the easy and normal ones while at work and finding it interesting and fun but due to the fact i cant properly play the larger puzzles i dont think i will get the same fun out of this game as other people.

I'd agree with you there Centy.

I loved the early levels but I struggle on the bigger ones.

It's a bit of a tricky situation, as the early ones are more fun but piss easy, and the later ones are more challenging but can lose the fun of the easier ones.

On the whole, I'm enjoying it but maybe it's because I've still got PQ still attached to my DS that I'm not giving this one as much time.

• 2 weeks later...

As revealed on Podcast number 9, I've been playing this non-stop for the last week or two, but I still haven't finished Normal Mode.

I'm currently on the insects, birds and stuff that flies bit.

I'm not entirely sure.

It could be the funky little animations - and I don't move onto the next level unless I've done the level I'm on in under 'an hour' and then get the little animation.

I like playing on my DS late at night while listening to podcasts, so you can't take in what you're listening to if you're playing a game with a lot of text, so after Puzzle Quest was finished, this replaced it quite well.

I'm on level 8 of Normal mode now (the one with snow-related stuff). It's getting mighty hard and to be honest I can't see me carrying on through Free mode as it takes away the bits that tell you when you've made a mistake, and I need that and the hints at the start too.

I'm stuck on getting the animation for the snowman, which I didn't see coming at all.

Yay! It might not seem much but I've finally unlocked the last Daily mode after what seems like an eternity. The mode itself is quite cool, as are all of them, but i don't know how much longer I'll be doing the Daily thing.

I'm on level 9 of Normal Mode now so I reckon when I'm finished on Normal I'll probably stop doing the daily thing too.

Which is probably going to be good timing as Planet Puzzle League will arrive then, and that has a Daily mode too, so like this replaced PQ, PPL will replace this.

And so it goes...

Also, here are my stats, I can't get much better than this. I'm sure Stu has all A's. ;)

picross_stats.jpg

post-62-1181213063.jpg

Still playing this, still on Level 9 of Normal, though I'm edging ever closer to the end. Just hope I can finish it before Puzzle League arrives.

EDIT

I'm now up to overall rating B on Daily Picross.

B)

Only me still playing then? Oh well.

I've now finished the main levels in Normal Mode and I'm on the Extra Mode which is Nintendo themed.

As much as I've been enjoying the game it has been a grind for the last few levels, until this Nintendo one comes along! I find it odd that this extra mode has been hidden away at the end of Normal mode when they should have made a bigger deal out of it.

Anyway, nearly done, and Puzzle League has been dispatched so it should arrive just in time.

Unbelievably, I've still been playing this - though I wasn't wrong about Free Mode, I haven't touched it since I last had a peer at it.

I've been daily picrossing it up, and even taken it online and had about 20 matches. I've even won some too!

I like the simplistic nature of the lobby, as it means because there's only one search mode for strangers, it means you're never searching for long.

• 1 month later...

Picross is IGN's Game of the Month.

Why we picked it: Last month's Game of the Month was a puzzle game, and this month...it's a puzzle game. One could say it was inspired by Sudoku, but honestly the original Picross hit the scene far earlier than the Sudoku craze. The game's a mental challenge of using given hints to uncover a picture hiding within the grid. Simple concept, complex strategies. The online and multiplayer support is also incredible -- and the bargain price screams "pick me up immediately."

Sounds spot on to me.

• 11 years later...

Seems daft starting a new Picross thread when this one exists. I've been pretty much just playing this and Pinball FX3 on the switch for the last three/four weeks (despite having just got Xenoblade 2, Golf Story and Mario Kart) and I'm finally on the last page of regular Picross puzzles. I'm surprised that the Switch is saying 15 hours as I would have thought closer to 30 hours, I suspect it's probably about to tip into 20 hours though. I think the last section are going to get a lot tougher by the end as they've added an extra column of cells.

tUB8tB8x5T November 16, 2018 at 09_49AM.jpg

And that's Picross S finished. Sort of. I haven't done the Mega Puzzles, mainly because they are exactly the same images and I'm not sure I like Mega Picross. Might leave it a month or so before picking up Picross 2.

It's a shame you can't add the extra boards into the base game, I'd rather keep it as one and track my time spent on it in total (Over 15 hours so far).