passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Persona 3 Reload

HandsomeDead

I played the shit out of this yesterday and had a wonderful time. I don’t know what really counts as a spoiler so I’m just going to spoiler this whole post just in case

Spoiler

Played through all of the July stuff and am 3 days away from the next boss in beginning of August. 

The summer vacation bit is so good. 3 idiots trying to hit on girls at the beach was so funny. I loved the they put the dungeon music in the background as well because it’s supposed to be a mission. You know I never really cared about the male characters in this game but I have a lot more on this play through, and the summer bit sold me completely on them. As soon as Junpei see’s Akihiko in trunks and is like “WHAT ARE YOU DOING” I was laughing 

Which brings me to meeting Aegis. I forgot how amazing this character is. I think it’s a shame the game puts such emphasis on - this is the girlfriend your character is supposed to have when Yukari is right there, but she’s still really fun. Excellent in battle too. Her Orgia mode is really good. 

Although the bitch does miss a lot. Need to find her a better weapon

I cleared all of the 3rd block in one go and didn’t even break a sweat. My team was Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aegis and between a lot of enemies being weak to physical, Mitsuru learning Spirit Drain and my guy getting 7SP back per turn. It’s a wrap. 

The floor bosses each killed me one time but I’m used to that now. Each first attempt is run in and spam all the attack types at them and try find their weaknesses. Then on the second run start playing it properly. 

I haven’t really been using the Theulgy stuff that much, but last night I used it on some bosses and enemies behind the red Madoon (?) doors and god they’re so powerful. They fucking rock, too, the animations are sick. 

I think the red doors are a cool new concept. I beat all of them, as they weren’t as hard as the game was making out.

Until I got to the special one on floor 91. The first enemy did 200hp damage to all of my team in one go and I was like, yeah. Come back later. The worrying part was I looked at the mission request relating to it and it only had 3/5 star difficulty 😮

So they’re going to be rough, I guess. 

I’ll say about the 3rd block, I hate the visual design. It was really confusing to my eyes and didn’t enjoy it from that perspective. 

I dunno. Other stuff too. Got all social stats to level 5. Academics ticked up to 5 2 days before the exam and I got the achievement for coming first. Persona compendium is filling up nicely. This was a big reason why the 3rd block was so easy. Think I’ve messed up the social links a little bit. Although the Moon and Devil links are both sitting at level 9 already so that’s good.

I dunno. This game is amazing. The only thing I would complain about is I wish I could reload my game mid fight instead of having to wait to die to try again 

I've finished the Aug boss and got a new party member - my main guy is now Lv 38.

Not really had any issues with enemy difficulty (even red doors / corridors) but I'm clearly trailing behind a bit on Academics (3) whereas my Courage & Charm are both (5).

Yeah, the one thing I’ll say about the Persona series is if you’ve played 1 you’ve played them all (At least from P3 onwards)

Not to say they’re not all great. I think 3, 4 and 5 are all amazing games. But once you’ve played one of them, you’ve got it, and are just repeating the experience.

I hope with P6 they have some crazy new ideas for the series. When P5 finished one of the team’s lead developers left the series saying he knows the series is in good hands. Hopefully with new lead developers they’ll be a fresher take.

I wonder if that’s part of why the next game was a remake. So they can have the experience of fully making one of these games while minimising some risk and it being a bit of learning experience. 

+remakes are hot right now, I suppose 

Wow. Courage and Charm stats maxed out with barely any activity, and academics was already at 5 before the summer school bit which gave me 2 points a day. So can’t imagine it will be that long before that’s maxed. Characters are about to return to school soon so hopefully ticks over by then and can start social links with the dorm girls.

Maxed Devil and Hanged social links as well. One more sitting at 9 and a few on 8, but again school related. 

Big struggle right now is cash. Trying not to miss any Personas I’ve been resummoning personas over and over and it cost me a bomb. So going to start Tartarus at level 1 again for a big cash grind. 

Another thing I realised is instead of doing Tartarus in 1 night straight away, better off waiting until late as possible to save as many humans in 1 go.

If I went early in the month like I planned then I would have to go back in. So I will start to wait as late as possible to save time

I haven't even found the Devil social link yet !?!?

I've maxed out the Magician one and have a couple around 7 and more around 4-5.

Did a lot more tower exploration too - returning to switch out party members so I didn't chew up Items to restore SP - so made it as far as Floor 115, before I retreated to rest up (when nearly everyone was down to <20 SP).

Also did a fair but of Fusion - as my Team are all around Lv 40, but some of the persona I was still using were 25-30, so merged a few to make much higher level ones.

Then went to Summer School followed by a weird nighttime encounter.....

We’re about on par @shinymcshine I got to the floor 115 roadblock last night and my characters are lv42 give or take. Although some are falling behind a bit. 

I dunno if it’s mechanic changes, gameplay changes, etc. but I’m rolling with a completely different team than when I last played the game, and changing people out more tactically as well. 

The dog is so good! One weakness to light but 1 null to fire, 1 resist to dark. Can do dark and fire attacks and hits like a truck with the slash move. I ended up using a lot of SP items to get to 115 because he was too strong to not use, but he’s attacks use a lot of resource

One thing I’m getting annoyed about is the bosses. I just feel like most of them are playing a different game. They constantly have no weakness and spit out status effects - yet can’t be status’d back. Which usual JRPG nonsense where bosses are basically immune to poison, fear, etc. but can do it to you no problem

I wouldn’t have issue with it if they had an element weakness to pick on. I wouldn’t even mind if you had to “open up” their weakness by using the elemental break moves (because they’re never useful)

Instead I’ve resorted to risky critical hit strategy. The dog knows Revolution which ups the critical hit rate for allies and enemies (so it has backfired). But my MC has a Persona with a bunch of high critical hit skills so I combine this together and hope for good luck

Not my preferred strategy, but not really sure what else to do in some of these fights 

I know it's kind of basic skills for this game, but I keep forgetting to switch things around between party members, and my MC can usually takedown most weaknesses with the variety of persona he has - but then burns through SP way faster than anyone else.

So I have to remind myself to, let's say, do a minimal 1 foe weakness attack (rather than attack all, which costs more SP) then switch to someone else etc.

I've hit the next floor barrier too (Floor 117?)

I've been trying to 'run' with the Social Link (romance ?) with Yuko - we did all the kids coaching things, and been on a couple of outings, including the festival at the shrine.

I'm clearly getting a bit old (or maybe more reflective of modern values) when, after getting the battle panties and later pink bikini outfits for Yukari I was like - nope, you can put some proper clothes back on.

Yeah, I agree. I looked at all the different costumes and so far none of them are as cool as the regular SEES outfits.

Except maybe Junpei in a tuxedo is quite funny 

Spoilers but this cutscene where they "suit up" for the first time was fucking hype

Spoiler

This game is bad ass. I love this shit so much 

The other problem with alternative outfits is if you do find something great, and equip it, then you still end up with default outfits for cut scenes, which is always a bit weird and immersion breaking.

Sure, wrapping all custom variations into cut scenes would add a bunch of cost, but it just irrationally irritates me in games when you've been rewarded with something great, but that's not later reflected in the cut scenes (clearly a bugbear much broader than just this game).

I swear they made Yukari the worst character in the game to try deter players from liking her and like the other girls instead

She always misses, has a high critical hit bow that never crits, her magic attacks suck, she takes brutal damage from most hits

I’m trying to understand what the right build for her is this game but haven’t got it yet. But god damn she sucks

On the other hand the dog is fucking unbelievable. Dark damage, fire damage, takes 0 damage from those elements. Super strong attack. Crits all the time without help or status. Can poison enemies. Gets 5sp back per turn and has a knife with auto-attack buff at the start of every fight 

Oh. And because he’s a dog he has high speed so always goes first

I think they made Yukari shit to help the other characters look good, and I dunno what’s up with the dog. He’s a dog. I thought he’d already be popular

The dog even has good cutscenes and character moments too😮

I actually love all the characters on the game at this point. First time I played P3 I liked the characters. I could remember most of their names which is more than I can say for other game characters. But right now I’m in love with this cast. I think some of it is the improved character models, and maybe the writing as well? It helps so much 

Anyway. I just slaughtered my way up to the 140-something floor blockade. I have a Persona with the Life Aid skill which gives 8% HP & SP back as long as I finish the fight with that Persona selected. At this point it feels like the SP problem is solved. It’s such a good skill. Combine it with another Persona that has Invigorate 3. 7sp back per turn, switch Personas at the end of the fight 8% recovery. Amazing

My MC is now lv 51 and everyone else mid-high 40’s. It took a long time to do the last block, but just cruised through that shit no problem. 

For a turn based combat system it’s so fun and engaging. There’s just so much to optimise every turn with a really good mix and regular refresh of enemies to stop just hitting the same buttons over and over. Excellent game

Just passed hour 60

Yukari seems okay for me - she's got a decent enough Wind attack & Healing, and Bow doesn't seem that bad (for me) either (have you changed it up either at Police Station or Antique Shop?)

It's the 2 other guys that seem a bit meh for me.

Come to think of it, from you posts on the other thread about your knee - should we call you Kazushi..... !?!?

@Maf

Maybe you don't remember, I'll spoiler in case you don't but Koromaru...

Spoiler

Theres a narrative reason Koromaru is so strong from the get go.  If you remember the other cast develop and get upgraded Personas except Koromaru who has it right away.  He was great in the OG too.

I think there's just been some changes in the balancing.  I'm sure they made Mitsuru weaker (she was a crit monster in my memory), Yukari becomes a healing beast, I've even seen it meme'd on Twitter.

@HandsomeDead apparently there's a lot about this game I don't remember!

Huge story spoilers

Spoiler

Shinji just died? I don't remember that at all. It might be because I really didn't care about him in when I played this before so forgot that part, but even with other things I forgot, they came back when I saw them again. This is like what. 

That actually really started to hit for me when Akihiko went to the funeral. Really, it's quite a basic scene all the way around. But I think it shows how attached I'm getting to the characters that my eyes started to go then 

Yeah, and then he's Persona transformed. I wondered if that was going to happen in this game. I thought it did, but I'm so deep in to the game for the first one to happen that I thought it was just a Persona 4 thing. 

I love the characters, but some stuff they say is stupid. Not only did Mitsuru not realise why Oct 4th is important, even though she's been focusing on it for weeks, but when she does conveniently remember and tells the team the relationship between Ken and Shinji she says "I didn't give it enough consideration when Ken joined the team"

Really. You didn't fully consider the possible significant consequences of letting a murderer and the child of the person he murdered work together on the same team. 

Lol. I love this game, but that's a bit c'mon.