passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

WRC (2023) (Dirt Rally 3?)

spatular

Well its sort of dirt rally 3.

the handling seems good, the tracks seem good, theres lots of tracks and different modes (career, challenges, seasons, timetrial, and more?) and stuff. Sounds good right! Unfortunately Its not without problems mind though not played it loads yet, lots of tearing and sort of hitching, well seems to vary by track, or at random, sometimes can be quite bad, sometimes not too bad. There was a patch that maybe improved things a little (definitely still has tearing) but too early to say how much really. and also having steering wheel problems (thats the wheels fault not the games fault though).

seems less hardcore than the dirt rally games, in dirt rally you never really want to cut, in this off track is less deadly, although you can still slide into a ditch and get a dnf.

i like the pace notes, although they always throw some late ones at you these are a bit more simple so easier to understand imo compared to the last rally game i played which was wrc generations iirc.

oh yeah this is made by the dirt rally team apparently, the previous wrc game lost the rights to EA who now own codemasters, so this is now EA WRC or something. The other wrc games were good so thats a shame if they arent making more without a licence, although maybe they will i dont know?

the graphics, on console, are not great, apparently it looks good if you have a 4090! Im not too bothered about the graphics as long as it plays well but it seems like a noticeable downgrade there from dirt rally 2, so worth mentioning i think.

i think theres a lot of potential here for a great game once patched up a bit, maybe already great if you can look past the tearing etc. i want to reserve judgement ill ive played it some more.

anyone else getting it?

I’m interested but really it sounds like a step back from both Dirt Rally 2 and WRC Generations so think I’ll hold off and wait for a few updates and price drop.

I’ve got a free trial through Gamepass though so I’ll at least give it a go. 

13 hours ago, spatular said:

the graphics, on console, are not great, apparently it looks good if you have a 4090! Im not too bothered about the graphics as long as it plays well but it seems like a noticeable downgrade there from dirt rally 2, so worth mentioning i think.

Digital Foundry pointed out that they switched engines and went from their proprietary EGO (?) engine to UE5. Which from the outside seems like such an odd thing to do considering their engine was custom tailored to racing games and UE5 isn't. But I suspect there has to be a good reason for it because this particular release obviously launched with a certain amount of growing pains they were willing to accept.

I’ve given it a quick go on the EA Trial thing on Series X. Definitely needs a patch before o can play anymore. The micro-stutters and screen tearing are just too much for me. Can’t believe how badly it performs TBH. Obviously read it wasn’t great but it’s worse than I thought it would be. 

Did the trial version get the patch? Ive been playing on ps5 and its hard to tell as it varies wildly between stages but it seems better after the patch, or ive got used to it or just playing the stages that dont have it as badly. But anyway ive been playing it more, getting into it and enjoying it, good fun rally game imo. Suffers in comparison because the last rally game i played was wrc generations, which is really really good, although itself not amazing graphics wise imo. Been too long since i played dirt rally 2 to compare, remember it was great and looked nice and not much else.

edit -

been a bit harsh with the comparison to wrc generations, the high points of that game are really high, but its not like its all great, some of the narrower tracks are not that fun imo. Whereas this new wrc there are some narrower tracks but not as annoying so far. Also read that the tarmac handling in this is pretty good and i think theres something in that, it does seem pretty good on tarmac.

just did a race where you have to try and match an average speed, the co driver kept shouting go faster, go slower, not sure what that was all about, assume i can just not do those.

Usually pace notes are a bit rubbish but the pace notes in this seem pretty good.

i dont know i think its good, im enjoying it. Still needs patching up, leaving it till then is probably a good plan.