passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (Jet Set Radio 3)

spatular

This is the jet set radio alike, came out on friday on pc and switch, coming soon on ps/xbox i believe.

As its so similar to jsr i guess ill be making a lot of comparisons. back in the day i was a big fan of the jet set radio games, playing them recently and while the music and graphics hold up great, skating around is still fun, for me the story mode objectives and stuff around that dont hold up too well, both games have different problems imo. So i was sort of excited for this new sort of clone game i was also a bit worried if they copied the gameplay too much i might not like it that much.

i think so far the gameplay is good fun, its not amazing or anything but better than jsr. The police dont seem to be able to stop you painting stuff. Sometimes the levels feel a bit sparse. The intro/tutorial is a bit boring. The combat is not really annoying so far. Controls are good, definitely better than jsr for controls. 

the game is split up into quite a few different activities, most of the time youll be skating around graffiting as much as possible to gain rep, then you can challenge people, they get you to do stuff like follow a specific route/combo/ high score/ etc. Finding the graffiti points can be fun sort of like getting the orbs in crackdown, trying to work out how to get to some higher ones. The score attack ones can be fun too. The best bits for me are seemingly optional challenges of high fiving some signs in a row to unlock stuff, and one difficult sort of platforming bit that seemed optional to get up to a high up graffiti point. Generally just skating around the map can be fun when youve worked out some routes, at first it can seem a bit sparse in some areas though. Theres also dreamscape style platforming sections which are a bit hit and miss imo.

the graphics and music are still so good in jsr, some of the best looking and sounding games ever made imo, i may still have rose tinted specs on here, but i think this does a great job the graphics and music are really good imo, the graphics especially, at times, look just like you would expect from jsr, or maybe a modern version of it. Although this is where i think is not as good as jsr, maybe being a bit harsh here, especially on the graphics as they are great. The music is good too just not as great as the old games imo.

there is a story but not sure i care too much about it, the dialogue is often silly but i dont think that really matters. The bits where they introduce new crews and theyre all dancing - i love those bits - maybe for nostalgic reasons.

i got mildly stuck twice so far not knowing what to do for a bit, the first bit the game signposts ok tbh i just was not expecting a mild puzzle element, the second bit its not always clear what to do next, like sometimes the police arrive and you have to take them out, sometimes you dont. But while stuck i was just looking for more graffiti points so not wasted too much time. I would say definitely better than jsrf here.

no idea how long the game is but been playing maybe 7 hours or so.

i got it on pc, think it was £33.5. Performance seems really good, think its running at 4k.

so yeah im pretty impressed with it so far, if you like jsr and always wanted a new one then id recommend it, i wasnt sure about getting it at the initial price but dont regret it, even though im not as keen on jsr as i used to be.

anyone else getting it?

Yeah i was tempted to leave it till it was cheaper too.

finished it now, about 10 hours total. The last boss was the first time the combat got a bit annoying, dying seemed a bit random but not too bad really, its not a long fight though which helps, took about 5 retries.

not much more to add on what ive already said. enjoyed it.
still lots left to do, will probably try and do all the high five things at least.

• 4 months later...

I've played through this over Christmas, and I was a bit disappointed. Not with the game so much because I don't think it does a lot wrong (other than the police get annoying as fuck), more just in general that I didn't enjoy it as much as some people. It's not getting on my game of the year list and I'm struggling for 10 games. 

It does handle well, better than the original Jet Set even though it handles really similarly. The trick system could be a little more interesting, but then the combos you can do when grinding are well thought out, and there's way more too it than Jet Set Radio. 

The combat isn't great, you can launch police in to the air and then tag the, but defeating officers doesn't reduce their number, instead it increases your wanted level, and so makes things harder and more irritating 

I do really like the story though, there's way more to it than there really needed to be.

All in all, I do like Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, I just wish it had clicked more 

I wonder if i liked it more because of nostalgia or the music/graphics, hard to say. Or maybe i had low expectations after playing jsr(f) quite recently.

i ended up playing for maybe 10 hours more after finishing the game, doing the high five challenges, unlocking extra characters etc, a lot of that stuff is not well signposted and the map is not easy to navigate for post credits stuff so i was following youtube guides a lot.