passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yoku’s Island Express

Whiskey_chaser

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

I seem to remember there being quests that you had to look a certain way to get into areas?

This. To get to the Queen Bee you have to be yellow and black, assuming you have to be red to get to the death section.

Finished the main story only 66% complete though. I want to try and at least get all the seed things as I'm curious what happens with the big egg. I need to work out how to give the inventor his package, thinking it is something to do with colour combos. 

Really enjoyed it as a game, shame it was over so soon though. 

I now seen to be further in this than any guides available on the internet which is both cool and frustrating. The other day I found a secret cave via a pool that is the same location you see when you die. It's called secret cave and you need to be scarlet to get into it. Can I find the bastard thing again, can I fuck.

74% on my save now, aiming for the 100!

EDIT

Worked it out about five mins later. Got the souls back and got a thing that doubles the value of all fruit which is a bit pointless at this stage. Have now finished the quest for the magician as well and got a fast dive fish. 81%

Got all the wickerlings and saw the second ending. Now on 97% with no idea what the final 3% is. Think I'm finished. 

EDIT

worked out the last thing I've missed. There is a 5th spore location which I forgot to find which gets you another upgrade. Also, collecting some tadpoles to get the last wallet uograde. Got the full 100% now. 

• 1 month later...

Started this this afternoon. Also finished this this afternoon. It's not long is it?

I liked it mostly, but the physics need to be more ball like, it feels very stodgy. A flipper not having consistent power is super dumb, it's like the ball speed is connected to how far the flipper travels while the ball is on it, instead of energy being delivered, while it is less the closer to the pivot you get it doesn't feel right here at all. 

It's all a bit sedate the model they've used and because of that it's very very easy.

I'm not keen on the walking about ability whilst being in a table. If you want to transfer you should be able to nudge the table (or island in this case) because allowing you to have such control makes it sort of pointless, at least on the tables themselves. It got to a point where I stopped moving the beetle in the tables because there's zero point to it. Pinball is about controlling something that is inherently hard to control, so if you can just put the ball where you need it so when you hit it it goes down the lane you want, it sort of prevents you from getting better. I dunno, it's not the way I would have handled it.

I found a game breaking bug whilst playing as well. Nothing a restart didn't sort out, but none the less, that stuff shouldn't happen.

Other bad design I noticed was the pick ups being round. When the game does speed up or get busy keeping track of your ball when it's in a sea of other circles muddies the waters some where they shouldn't be muddied. I really dig the playing field filling up with collectables when you're triggering them though, that shit is sweet. Not that it matters if you screw up and lose a ball because of this, you lose a bit of fruit or fall further down the table. No biggie, like I said the game is facile.

I hope if they ever do a sequel they find a way around the bits I've complained about. Minimise control on the tables, sort the physics out, turn the difficulty up and add a nudge feature, bring it closer inline to what pinball is because it's so far removed that it's barely pinball. It doesn't need to be bare bones basic.

Despite ragging on it hard I still enjoyed it. The general feel I got while playing ti reminded me of Snake Pass, although that game is so fucking difficult at points compared to this.

Am I disappointed in it? A little bit. They could have done more with the Metroidvania side of it. It's so lite, you get some colours, a dive and a grappling hook. How about entailing more pinball stuff? Have a skill that allows you to hit captive balls. Rip off the spiderball from Metroid. Have a skill where some flippers act like plungers that allow you to get to hidden areas. Add some enemies. Add a sonic like spin dash for the more adventure flavoured bits. Add a jump (in a way that makes it seem like a nudge). Metroid games are all about gating off areas and then trickling them onto you as you gain more and more skills, that just isn't deep here. They could have really gone for it. It's just kind of anaemic.

It's still impressive they managed to make it work though, just trying to sell something like this conceptually must have been a right ball ache.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm enjoying this a lot...

But

The flipper physics is janky.

Like... I get that they have made it easier to aim the ball. Regardless of speed, the ball is aimed depending on where on the flipper the ball is. Having played a lot of pinball recently, I've often found myself wrestling with where I want the ball to go.

Navigation doesn't make any sense to me. I can see on the map where I need to go, but sometimes the path to where you need to be isn't obvious, which is kinda frustrating.

The lasso thing confuses me. I just don't seem to be able to get my head around how to reliably launch myself where I'm trying to go... I spent maybe half an hour trying to get to the top of the mountain because the only way up was hitting 10 lasso jumps in a row. 

I wanted to eat my own hand out of frustration.

It's a lovely game, but my goodness it's got some unforgiving design oversights for what is meant to be a kids game...