passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars Battlefront 2

DisturbedSwan

That's actually a very good point. You can narrow down the bits you need to get though by doing certain things to maximise getting the part you need. Going after breaks and cuts, or even trapping and tranquilizing. Fuck known how many times I hunted Rathalos and Brachy to get those rare carves that eluded me. You could also level that argument at games like Borderlands, killing the same boss over and over to get the drop you want. That's the way those games are designed, you hit the pinata and see what comes out. There's always another pinata just around the corner, which will spill loot all over too.

And that's the rub with the most recent spate of games coming with this lottery bullshit of opening boxes every few hours or more. Instead of the playing the game you're constantly backing out or saying "I need another match to get a box" instead of them just directly giving you the contents. It's something we're all guilty of, and it's because of the clever way they implement them. When I kill a monster in Monster Hunter I get the carves there and then. Same with Borderlands or Diablo. I kill, they drop the shit on the floor and I pick through it. There's no need to back out of the game to bust open something that could potentially help. Nor is there an option to drop quids so I can bypass the artificially inflated time it takes to get those drops so I can possibly get the thing I want. The pubs/devs have seasoned us over time to elicit this behaviour, to covet these fucking pointless boxes of content that's been carved away from the game and reintroduced in the laziest fucking shitty way imaginable.

If over the coming years we buy a game and we're getting dominated day 1 with people who have decided to chuck the game extra cash for boxes and they happen to get lucky, then we're the ones to blame for supporting it. It's common sense, you don't pay to play fairground games that are rigged, so why pay into these games that are doing what they're doing? Why go into a multiplayer game where you can get suckerpunched by someone. Games should be determined on skill alone in PvP, giving someone a paid for leg up is a shite thing to do. As people who play games we're getting hustled and the only way to avoid it is avoid those titles that are trying to shakedown.

I too yearn for the days where shit wasn't as money grabby. I saw a thing recently that said "Remember when we were up in arms about paid for horse armour that was cosmetic, but now we're fine with paid for cosmetics in games?".  It knocked me sideways a bit because it's right in a way. We've been conditioned in a manner that the goalposts are shifting towards making the publishers more money, over a period of time we're just accepting that the stuff that came for free is now a thing that you have to be lucky enough to drop via a lootbox, or even worse be lucky enough to drop it from a paid lootbox. It's all bollocks. It's time we stop supporting this nonsense and told them to get fucked. There random lootboxes make sense in some instances, but for the most they're pried in just for the sake of making extra cash.

• 3 months later...

New progression system has finally been detailed.

The long awaited Star Wars Battlefront 2 progression changes have been announced and will begin rolling out 21st March.

EA DICE appears to be going the whole hog: ability-giving Star Cards, and any other item which affects gameplay, are being pulled out of Crates (the game's loot boxes) for good. You will unlock and upgrade Star Cards using Skill Points earned by levelling up classes, heroes or ships.

Crates will only contain cosmetic items, like emotes and victory poses, and nothing that affects gameplay - and you will not be able to buy them. Crates will be earned through a combination of daily log-ins and completing challenges and milestones.

But you will be able to spend money in Battlefront 2, directly, on appearances - the first of which are coming in April. You can either spend store-bought Crystals on the appearances or Credit currency earned through gameplay.

So pretty much what they should’ve had from the beginning. Too late though?

• 1 month later...