passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The BioShock Collection

Cyberpunk

Before I start, I've got to say I didn't buy this collection. Instead, as I had the three games in my Steam account, they kindly upgraded them to the remastered versions. Well, BioShock 1 and 2, that is. It seems the PC version of BioShock Infinite was the best version already, so the consoles got that version, and I kept what I had.

Anyway, for those who don't know, The BioShock Collection is all three BioShock games and their associated DLC in one package. 

BioShock 1 looks great. I'm running it on my new upgraded PC at 1080p 60hz, and all the sliders turned up to 11. Yes, it's not as good looking as a brand new game could be, but there's a noticeable difference between this new one, and the original. There's also an unlockable video diary of the making of BioShock, and apparently a museum you can walk around with prototypes and old ideas.

All three games have challenge rooms now. I've not played BioShock 2 yet, but I've read that the upgrade is more subtle, and the multiplayer has been taken out.

Anyway, my main thing with this free upgrade is I forgot how good a game BioShock 1 was. I booted it up last night, just to see what it looked like. Two and a half hours later, I'm still wandering around Rapture, and I'd freed my second Little Sister.

there's a lot of negative talk around the remastered version. Some of it I can see, there's sound problems on PC, no 5.1, the mouse acceleration is a bit high, and there's no graphics options. Mainly though, to me, it should just be better than it is. Like you said @Cyberpunkit looks better, but I wish they'd done a proper job of it. It's free on pc though, although by the sounds of it the PS4 and Xbox versions aren't amazing either.

Supposedly the best version is the old PC version with mods, I've never tried it with mods, but I could believe it

I haven't had any real problems so far.

I mean, a Big Daddy walked straight through a table but you don't argue with a Big Daddy. Unless you've got the grenade launcher.

I'm more or less playing it the same as I first played it - finding all the Little Sisters and saving them. Concentrating on powering up the wrench and electrocute plasmid with a fully pimped out pistol.

I do use the big weapons for the big guys but largely sticking to the one-two punch.

It looks like I remember but I do know that there's some changes in it that people are not fond of. Seems perfectly fine to me.

Framerate seems good - it moves quicker than I remember it running.

I've just done the bit with the trees and bees which I don't really remember from the first time around.

I was playing a bit last night. I don't know how it works on the consoles but on PC when you save it brings up a loading screen for a second or so. I'm running off an ssd and it's an 8 year old game, I know it's only a small thing but it should save instantly 

There's a couple of bits of the game I remember being tense that were actually really easy second time round (or whatever playthrough this is) 

Up to Fort Frolic now, doing tasks for the mad bastard Cohen.

Had a couple of small bugs that required a reload of the save as doors that were meant to be open, weren't. I think down to being attacked at the same time as I was being congratulated for clearing the room.

Bioshock 2 is my favourite of the 3. On a related note (because I was going to talk about the tension around the big sisters) what's struck me about replaying the first game again is that it's nowhere near as tense as I remember it being, even compared to the 2nd time I played it. 

I had my first genuine bit of 'eep' in Fort Frolic (where Hendo is). I'd finished the area but was short a health pack. So as I was heading to the bathasphere I smashed a shop window and grabbed one. Sirens sounded, the copper choppers seemed to be right behind me as I gunned it to the exit. Afterwards it occurred to me that the reason it was so tense is because the sound's fucked and everything is either at full volume or silent 

I've finished Fort Frolic now and straight off to Ryan, which has come sooner than I remember it being.

Playing through knowing what the story really is, I don't think you could properly guess even though there's hints abound.

All the talk of genetically modifying children just makes you think they're talking about the Little Sisters, as one example.

@HendoI'm picking up on way more of the story this time around. Not so much what's happening within Rapture because the sound is still fucked on PC so you can't hear the tapes if someone's breathing 3 rooms away, but the libertarian stuff. All the talk about the great chain, and Ryan either becomes a hypocrite or takes his logic to the extreme. 

I've killed Ryan now, it actually took longer to get there than I remember, I thought all the bullshit fetch quests were after he'd gone for some reason. Anyway, built the bomb, did what I was told, and next I need to free myself from Fontaine's control 

On the last stretch I think now, doing the last fetch quest.

It's crazy how I've stuck so close to how I played it the first time around. Pretty much electro and wrench with the odd shotgun and grenade launcher for the big fellas. And saving the girls.

So that's the first one out of the way.

Dealt with all the girls, saved every one. Finished on the difficulty above Normal.

I'm surprised how much I'd forgotten from the game. Not really a spoiler so I won't hide it, but there's a brief section where you have to protect Little Sisters while they harvest Adam which I thought was in the second game. But now I'm thinking that it is, but a more in-depth gameplay section, setting up traps and stuff.

I'm looking forward to the second one the most, because as unnecessary as it was, I remember it fondly and I remember that the mechanics were improved. Dual-wielding plasmids and guns I think?

yeah, I finished it last night. I want to write that I'm glad I went back, certainly there was bits of the narrative that I missed last time, but truth be told I still don't like Bioshock 1, and having been so exposed to it over the years the atmosphere has eroded too much. Still, it's finished, it's probably the last time I'll ever play it, I am sort of interested in playing Bioshock 2 again, but maybe not any time soon

Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den will have to wait for a patch.

It seems I have encountered a fairly common bug where it won't let you save due to a lack of space, even though I have something like 300gig of space left on my HDD.