passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Splatoon

HandsomeDead

I forgot to charge my controller. :facepalm:

The start weapon is good. Aerospray is nice as well. Rollers that have nice subs will see you well. The Gal is sweet as fuck, but not as nice at covering levels. Really just try everything and see what resonates with you, I liked the bucket but it's clear you didn't.

I'd stay away from the chargers and splatlingguns.

The starting weapon I've gone back to. Bucket is poo, roller I quite liked.

I tried a splattershot which was alright, even branched out into the sniper rifle which I'm not sure how good it is for covering the area. I'd guess it's good if you have a designated sniper for taking out the enemy and a couple of rollers for doing the monkey work?

I've seen guys close off parts of the map with the snipers, but in general most sniper users are crap, it's not hard for someone to take their attention and get a flank on them. Same with the splatling gun.

With the bucket you need to aim up. You'll get more coverage by doing this and you make it harder for people trying to shoot at you because the splash makes it harder to see where you are. Plus you can reach stuff quite high up with the bucket, people don't expect to get killed through those grills that you can walk on. I think it's alright, but it could probably do with a slight damage buff so that if you pointblank someone with it it is a one hit kill. Same with the paintbrush, I had a dude hit me about 6 times with it tonight and still end up dying, if you get close enough to touch someone with a weapon like that a swipe or two should be sufficient in splatting them, especially considering the rollers can do that and one shot players with the fling you can do.

Fucking good game though, innit? I'm looking forward to spending Saturday night on it celebrating splatfest.

I've done a couple of worlds into the campaign. It's a shame that a lot of the mechanics they introduce don't come up in the multiplayer, like the sponges.

It's weird that to me it feels more like a classic Sega game, rather than a typical Nintendo one.

I dunno, it's got that Nintendo thing of "Here's an idea, like that? OK we're done with that now, here's another idea. And again. OK, this is going to happen and we're going to rejig it up. I hope you're paying attention because at the end you're going to need this! But first here's another idea and there's some more coming after that."

I think the thing with Splatoon is that it's surprisingly legit despite time constraints it got gimping a little. Stuff like not being able to spectate when you're waiting to get in a game would make the wait to get in seem like less time. I know there's that minigame on the pad, but really there's no real reason to play that more than a few times. Being able to swap weapons without leaving a game would be essential too, like I don't understand why they don't let you do that since you can swap seamlessly in the training area. Forcing you to play with the touchscreen I'm not keen on, I'd rather just use the controller pro and have the stuff that's mapped to the touch screen mapped to the many spare buttons that are available. The second screen thing is pretty gimmicky and I don't think the game would lose anything by not having that option, or rather having an option to play other ways.

I was reading a detailed account of the development of Splatoon a while back just before they dropped with the new content (Moray Towers and other stuff) and it went into detail how screwed up the development of the game was early on. Before it was revealed at E3 in 2014 it was pretty turbulent. Both Miyamoto and Iwata kept pushing it back because they couldn't find a way to do it. Originally it was a game about blocks of tofu with noses on squirting each other with ink. Then when they developed it a bit more it went to rabbits because the ears flopping behind provided visual feedback on the map as to which way they were looking. Eventually that was thrown out and they nearly put Mario in it. It wasn't until a last minute ditch they came up with the squids vs octopus thing going on that they stuck with that. They didn't like the squids shooting form so that because the kid part that we see today. When they did the reveal at E3 there was only one weapon that worked as a playable loadout, all the other things you see didn't exist in the game to be used. The estimated that the build shown at E3 was something like 10% done. They really made huge steps to get it as right as they did and although it isn't perfect I hope they build on the pretty solid foundation they've created. I can see it being a pretty big event similar to how stuff like Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Pokemon are when you look at multiplayer games that focus on competing with each other.

That's my first Splatfest done and dusted.

Got on and had a bit of a tit for tat with wins and loses. Then I went on a massive losing streak, pretty much every team we played against was in their level 40's and just totally dicked on us. Then that silliness stopped and we were put in equal teams and we managed to get our wins up to 8.5 before the arse fell out of it again and we traded wins back and forth until they all quit and I ended up being put with 3 noobs. We manage to scrape a few wins, but those loses were a right old arse fucking. The competition just goes crazy from my experiences of Splatfest, I didn't really see any bad players (except for the losers that I got paired up with)

I bowed out for the night once I got to Dancing Champion. I had fun mostly, but some people are just insanely good at this game, one of the games we got shat on was 4 guys all using snipers, we got spawn trapped and hemmed in and couldn't do anything in that game, once they had us in the spawn there's nothing we could do except struggle to stay alive.

Some properly good matches though, some where we lost by less than 1% and others were we won by less than 1%, a favourite of mine catching someone who was launching a rocket at the last minute and me splatting him. It probably won us that particular match.

Did #TeamDance win? I'm not entirely sure. I doubt it going off some of my teams performances tonight.

Just turned up to the Splatfest and dominated most of the games. I played maybe an hour and a half and only lost three games.

I wasn't great in all of them but it was crazy just how well we did overall. I've not seen anything quite like it yet. From what I've seen #TeamDance has it in the bag.

I usually play Saturday nights as I usually work Sundays but its really different on a Sunday. The competition isn't really there and its just like any other game of Turf War.

I might play some more before it ends to see if I can get another level up.

I was thinking about this earlier today. When I was playing I was on between about 11pm and 2am. Not many kids up there so I was playing with the big boys. If I'd have played this morn it'd have been mostly kids as most adults would have been sleeping hangovers off.

I really don't like Kelp Dome, I think that map is shite. Out off all the maps it's the one where I've noticed that nobody really focuses on one point. Plus you seem to get a lot of folks just spending all their time on the catwalks doing bugger all.

I did manage my highest score ever in a game last night, 1500+ on Flounder Heights. Not quite sure how I did that as I spent most of the game in a deadlock trying to stop another person from advancing.

• 3 weeks later...

I put this on to try out the new maps and it says it's Splatfest this weekend! I know Hendo was asking when we can have a get together on this so it seems ideal, maybe?

This Splatfest is team Do You Have A Messy Bedroom or team Do You Have A Tidy Bedroom. Now as much as I'd like to keep my streak of staying #TeamMarie I just can't. I'm not tidy, I can't do a bare faced lie like that. I'm a mucky pup. So #TeamMessy if you want to join me either tomorrow night or Sunday.

And I played some games on the new map. Something Bridge or whatever. Y'know, I don't like it at the moment. It's a more sensible size but it's very noodle-y not all that much fun. But we'll see; it may click.