passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFG Netflix Club - The One I Love - 07/09/15 - 14/09/15

RoboticMonk3y

Just watched The Guest. I really enjoyed it in a Lo Fi old school sort of way. The guy from Downton Abby is a bit Rhyn Gossling lite and has watched Drive a few too many times. Quite good fun though.

Also, the sound track is excellent. It's by Perterbator.

Finished The Crazies.

It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I haven't seen the original, but going from the title, I was expecting a comedy horror film, a bit like Braindead.

I did enjoy it though, not amazing, but not terrible.

I just saw The Guest. I really enjoyed it until the third act where I think they couldn't find the right line to maintain the mystery and upping the stakes so just went pretty damn fucking stupid. But it was still fun, though.

It did still get me with the twist since I used to see the advertisement of this film on buses a lot and I did expect it to go a certain direction, and it never did. They got me, those young suits in marketing. Curse you, Trace from marketing!

Not to take over the thread but the guy that directed this did a better film, 'You're Next'. I would have suggested it already but I'm sure it had been taken off Netflix, but just checking now it appears to be still on there. But I have seen that, and it rules, but it might be good for down the line... or just a general recommendation?

I just saw The Guest. I really enjoyed it until the third act where I think they couldn't find the right line to maintain the mystery and upping the stakes so just went pretty damn fucking stupid.

Yeah it's pretty stupid.

I like it though.

What twist was it you were expecting?

Without knowing anything about the film, I guessed that he would turn out to be a nutter from the very start. Didn't expect a super-human, though.

I was expecting more sex than there was. He turns up at the beginning - "he'll fuck the mum". Well, fuck with a knife in the chest, maybe.

"He'll fuck the daughter", nope.

Without knowing anything about the film, I guessed that he would turn out to be a nutter from the very start. Didn't expect a super-human, though.

I was expecting more sex than there was. He turns up at the beginning - "he'll fuck the mum". Well, fuck with a knife in the chest, maybe.

"He'll fuck the daughter", nope.

I saw posters for this on buses a lot and there it looked kinda Terminator-esque that alluded to him protecting the daughter. I was expecting some twist where he was actually gonna protect the family, but it goes the complete opposite, which is what seemed obvious from the start. So I was prepped for something happening that never did.

Without knowing anything about the film, I guessed that he would turn out to be a nutter from the very start. Didn't expect a super-human, though.I was expecting more sex than there was. He turns up at the beginning - "he'll fuck the mum". Well, fuck with a knife in the chest, maybe."He'll fuck the daughter", nope.

I saw posters for this on buses a lot and there it looked kinda Terminator-esque that alluded to him protecting the daughter. I was expecting some twist where he was actually gonna protect the family, but it goes the complete opposite, which is what seemed obvious from the start. So I was prepped for something happening that never did.

This is exactly what I thought would happen as well.

Finished You're Next.

I wasn't sold on it till right near the end when it won me over.

I like dark films that don't end with happy endings with this films' ending of basically everyone is dead and the way The Guest ends, this seems like a director/writer team I should keep an eye on.

Finished The One I Love.

I'm guessing no-one's massively keen to watch a romantic comedy but you'd be missing out because this is not at all what a normal one of those is.

That's all I'll say about it for now, it's best watched knowing nothing about it going in.

No I saw it, I forgot to say. I wouldn't say it's a comedy at all really but I guess some humour can come form that strangeness of it. It does get insightful at times, too It's pretty good.

But I couldn't help but who was funding all this, as there are bits in the backstory it only very subtly hints at.

Yeah there's a lot of questions that I don't think are answered well enough....

Like how exactly it works that they start off not being able to get into the guest house together but then they can, and how those people look exactly like the couple.

But for those things I'm kind of happy enough to just shrug it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I'm just gonna list some of the stuff on my Watch list if anyone wants to keep this going. Do with it what you will.

Babadook was mentioned so let's have that some time. I also have:

What Maisie Knew

Real Steel

Dallas Buyers Club

Spring Breakers

Tracks

Youth Is Revolt

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Blue is the Warmest Colour

Machete Kills

Lady Vengence

War Horse

Defiance

Teen Wolf

The Legend of the Drunken Master

Munich

Justice, My Foot

They are all the films I've not seen on my to watch list. Anyone interested? Anything to add?

Okay so I'm just gonna list some of the stuff on my Watch list if anyone wants to keep this going. Do with it what you will.

Babadook was mentioned so let's have that some time. I also have:

What Maisie Knew

Real Steel

Dallas Buyers Club

Spring Breakers

Tracks

Youth Is Revolt

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Blue is the Warmest Colour

Machete Kills

Lady Vengence

War Horse

Defiance

Teen Wolf

The Legend of the Drunken Master

Munich

Justice, My Foot

They are all the films I've not seen on my to watch list. Anyone interested? Anything to add?

I watched Munich and Babadook recently. Both are excellent :)

Warhorse is terrible, don't waste time on it - you will wish you hadn't. The boy talks to the horse and it understands everything... sure... it was one of the worse films I have seen!

Real Steel is fun, stupid like Pacific Rim but fun as :)

I nearly watched Spring Breakers the other night but ended up starting Super 8 (which is fantastic!)