passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil's Third

Uncle Dokuro

Nintendo announced that Tomonobu Itagaki and Valhalla Game Studios 3rd person shooter is coming exclusively to Wii U. 

.... so a Japanese Duke Nukem then?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7yTldFe2m-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think it's like Duke Nukem, just seems like another thing from the Suda51 camp of thinking.

It's hard to call if it's legit at the moment because like Ninja Gaiden 2 it only really starts to impress after you get your hands on it. But I think it looks like it will be tight.

Anyway, I'm glad it didn't disappear off the face of the Earth when it looked like it was going to.

I don't know Ivan defo had a Duke vibe going on.

Devil’s Third, the next game from former Ninja Gaiden director Tomonobu Itagaki, is a Wii U exclusive, IGN reported this morning.

The game is a mix of melee combat and first-person shooting.

Nintendo “really understood my vision,” Itagaki told IGN, “so I felt I really had to work with them.”

The smoking and drinking mid-combat and overtones of womanizing "bro" smacks of the Duke.

Here is 22 minutes of the MP and the Story mode. In the Story you play as Ivan a Russian former prisoner. After the fall of the Soviet Union. The former Russian solders form a terrorist group called SOD or School of Democracy and are trying to take over the world and install their own world goverment.

the game will be published by Nintendo and it has no release date. 

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vlv5CfVqhTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 11 months later...

European release confirmed for August 28.

ORIGINAL STORY 10/6/15 9.25am: Japanese Wii U owners will soon be able to play Devil's Third, the new action adventure hack-and-slash game from Tomonobu Itagaki.

Itagaki - the creator of Dead or Alive and recent Ninja Gaiden entries, features prominently in the trailer - as he introduces gameplay while sat on the floor in a darkened room.
Despite the trailer only being in Japanese (no Western release has so far been confirmed) you can still pick up something of the game's story.
Devil's Third is a semi-post apocalyptic affair set in a world left reeling by the loss of all satellite communications. Naturally, world war ensues.
You play as tattooed hero Ivan, who fights with his fists and melee weapons. Online multiplayer and level editor will also be included.
See how it looks in the footage below:
UPDATE 10/6/15 10.05am: Out of the blue, Nintendo UK has just confirmed a UK release will happen for Devil's Third - as soon as 28th August.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-10-wii-u-exclusive-devils-third-shown-off-in-bizarre-trailer

• 1 month later...

Uh oh, turns out this game will suck.

The embargo is up and that is the most positive preview I've seen.

I've been fascinated by this game since its announcement and I may ramble a bit here about it, even though I'm the only one who remotely cares. But I need somewhere to vent.

The first stuff I heard from the inside was positive, so I am disappointed that it has turned out... well, bad. Maybe this was before one of the engine changes. It's plain to see that the game doesn't perform as well as it should, and an action game of this kind really needs to. I totally except that.

But I do get the feeling now that some were hoping this would fail from the start. The criticisms that I've seen at the combat system seem flaky and don't get to what the problems actually are. It's made worse by the fact that I just don't trust a lot of critics when it comes to games like this: Metal Gear Revengance seems to be held in high regard as a technical brawler (it isn't), Anarchy Reigns got away with being pretty damn awful and Legend of Korra was treated pretty damn terribly (which is hilarious to me considering Anarchy Reigns). And of course you have the infamous God Hand IGN review. It was a long time ago, but it just goes to show that sometimes critics don't know a cool game even if one bites them in the arse, until the fanbase tells them so.

That's not even all the examples. Just look at the whole DmC hooha where both old- school fans and critics where kinda right but the truth of that game was lost.

So that's why I'm still getting Devil's Third. I see the performance issues, and it's a heck of a shame. But the fascination with it still remains (it's probably the game I'm most fascinated in this year), and I really want to play it for myself to see how it ticks for real.

I also can't get behind the criticism that its shit because it looks like its from 2005. As far as I'm concerned that's when this kind of nonsense was firing on all cylinders. I'm totally okay with that.

I think Eurogamer were quite kind to it...

Definitely got that Deadly Premonition vibe to it, it could be a game that's so bad it's good, but I certainly won't be picking it up on release anyway, if it's cheap around Xmas I may give it a go.

Yeah, as good as Videogamer are at doing funny videos, I really don't rate them as critics.

They are exactly the kind of people that have lead me away from games I regret passing up on before.

Not to say everyone should pick up this questionable game. It's just I find this kind of criticism kinda boring.

But we're just at a preview stage so I can't expect much right now.

He's certainly a character and I'm unsurprised at his comment. It's exactly the sort of thing he'd say. One of the best things in Japanese game culture was the rivalry he had with Kamiya: they we're just arse pieces to one another.

It does come across like he is ignoring the game's technical short comings, which he probably is. But I think Itagaki has a point. Not so much that games critics are bad at games, but they don't like games that don't march to the right beat.

I was gonna post this here myself the other day and the reason why I think he isn't totally wrong in that when Nintendo Life covered it they listed a bunch of things they felt was wrong with the game for the reason they didn't like it, rather then it being too difficult, and one of the reasons stood out to me: it, apparently, has 'outdated game design'.

Maybe this is just me, or indicative of my taste, but I feel like there is no such thing as game design that is inherently 'oudated'. And I've heard that criticism aimed at Devil's Third in some guise from a lot of outlets, and I think it may be tied to the kind of difficulty the game has. I don't know about how this game plays first hand, but I've seen it in the past enough to know hard games with weird rules and logic rarely go down well, even though they can be pretty damn satisfying to get a handle of. A lot of unsuccessful action games from the PS2 era had that. The PS2 Shinobi game (interesting combat system abolished by a truly terrible camera), The 3D Contra games, anything by Cavia. None of these games are ones I'd recommend to everyone, but they have mechanics unfairly dropped, never to be seen again. Leaving them behind and calling them outdated never to be attempted again is why we have so many games that play alike, now.

Sometimes enough people get a handle of these kind of games to break through are not awful to look at. The Souls games and Monster Hunter series are two recent examples, but both of those could have easily have slipped through the cracks into obscurity if it was up to most critics.

So yeah, I think some of these young lads that attend preview events are oftentimes not that good at understanding these kinds of games. I feel like that's what Itagaki is talking about.

But on the other side of things, it does mean that if he does want a game to be popular, then maybe he should have had a go at making it a bit differently, because these guys at the preview events probably do represent a lot of the audience, these days.

I dunno, I don't mean to sound too elitist but it's hard being this cool and keeping quiet. Itagaki knows, too.