passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta

Sly Reflex

I've got to a point where I'm going to have to grind 'teeth' (the games currency for opening levels) to get any further. I do not want to do that, so I'm going to move onto the next game. I enjoyed my time with this though, it was good enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time.

Next up is Wargame European Escalation. I've a feeling it's going to be rubbish.

Man, this game is hardcore. Like, really really hardcore. It's a RTS in the same vein as Command and Conquer, except the seriousness and complicatedness is dialed right up to 11. There's no tutorial to really speak of either by the looks of things, it's a case of "Here's the deep end! *kick* Have fun!" and that's about it.

Units have limited ammo so you can't just go in all guns blazing, and the way the levels are set out means you have to play carefully as the units you are against are set up to kill you. For instance, I was being shot at by infantry in a wooded area, so i decided to roll in there with my tanks and give them a good hiding and walked right into an AT ambush. On top of that, units have a meter that measures what they're feeling. If they are under constant fire they get disillusioned and may abandon their orders. On the other hand they might get cocky after winning many fights and fight more aggressively.

I'm honestly not sure I'm even going to make it a few levels into this game, I really like strategy game, but this is a bit deep for me. There's a lot going on even on the battalion vs battalion fights, so god knows how bad it gets when you're commanding whole armies on different fronts.

I'm not slating the game or saying it's bad either, it's just a bit anal for the average game player, it's one of those enthusiast games that does well in Germany and Russia.

This is weird. It's like metroidvania crossed with Echo the Dolphin with added Ocarina of Time music stuff thrown in. And also shooting parts which are really really hard and unforgiving. I'm not even sure what I should be doing, it's very indie before indie got its shit together. It reminds me of Gish in that respect, although they're not really comparable it has the same feeling of unpolished indieness. I don't even know if those are real words, I just invented them because I'm finding it hard to explain.

Oddly controls better with KBAM as well, some parts of the menus aren't reachable if you use a pad. It's much harder to do the songs on pad, the 8 notes are a bit cramped on the thumbstick. Also all of the tutorials are KBAM orientated too.

I can't say I'm too fussed from what I've played, it's probably odds on that I'll pass up on this. I'm not having a good run on the tombola recently. Oh well.

I haven't had an issue with pad controls, the only thing so far is making recipes which is easier with my trackpad which is paused during play anyway and my trackpad is right in front of me so that's no problem.

I've got to the same point I did first time around though - everywhere I go is blocked off with stones and the only song I've learned so far is for a shield. I'm pretty sure I've gone all through the map and can't find a way of moving things forward. I did find a door but no way of opening it.

There was a big alien statue depicting them going through the door. When you sang the notes it lit up the notes on the statue. Just a case of sitting on the door and singing that song.

Play 5 2 7 10 if you can't find the song. It's not like the song goes into your inventory of songs, it looks like a one use thing.

The giant fish that flops down on you if you go under it? I'll look for it. I think you're talking about the snail that is under that really big anemone that looks like it's blocking a path, I've taken the shell off it before but I wouldn't say it was a boss fight.

Can you change forms yet? From Naga's house, go west and move the brick that's blocking you from passing. It's a really narrow man made passage.

This game could really do with a Metroid Prime style "Over here, you fuking idiot!" thing for when you are lost. I see that it keeps adding coloured pearls to my map, but when you go there there's nothing of importance.

I've been enjoying this. No real clue how far through I am (well, we, as me and Sly are at the exact same position) but's bigger so far than I expected given that it's a small team indie game. It would've made a decent splash on XBLA had it arrived before, say, Shadow Complex. Not a massive seller, but it would've had an audience.

It's a good looking game, again considering. Though I am getting a fair bit of screen tear.

Like Sly says above, there's no real indication which is the best way forward but once you start playing and exploring it starts becoming clear.

• 5 months later...

Bloody Aquaria. Broke the thread and my will to carry on.

Anyway, started up again. I'm not sure where the little pot of games is and I think I may have to add more games to it because of steam sales, so for now I'm (or maybe you are) just going pick stuff out to get played for a few hours.

Back in the saddle for me with Cities XL Platinum due to me being green eyed over that other city builder that's out now. Cities XL is alright. It'd be better if it just let you get on with it instead of fencing everything off. There's some fucking token shit you have to deal with to import/export stuff. I think I actually prefer the last Simcity game I played due to it not hassling the fuck out of you with stuff that's OK.

Will I play it for long? Meh, the jury is out on that one.

Played a bit more, not that anyone really cares what I have to say with this game, but I'm going to say it anyway.

This is really close to being a nice city sim, but it has a load of crap in there for no reason at all. I mean it has these really cool tools that allow you to grid streets and neighbourhoods really quickly, but you can't toggle the roads, so that office complex you just built that's going to have thousands of jobs has automatically generated roads that are good for 40 cars a minute which isn't high enough. To get around this you have to manually place everything and the way that it auto-snaps stuff together works against you instead of working with you.

Then you have stuff which is unlocked on population. Because of this you constantly have to go back to areas you've developed to knock down someones house, office or warehouse so you can put a school or whatever down. The only good thing is that zoning areas all have the same footprint more or less, so you only have to knock 1 block down to replace it. Other things are that you have to have certain skilled workers to work certain buildings. The problem is that you get a lot of th4ese buildings before you get 'executives' to run them, the citizens constantly bitch about not having something that they have already because you don't have enough citizens to unlock the people that work said buildings. It just seems like such a fuck up in that respect.

There's a lot of good things here, I really like the way it simplifies each citizens class and market sector by letting you click an icon that throws up a related overlay heatmap. Being able to click something like unskilled workers and see that they're bored and want entertaining things by heat map is so brazenly what these games should have been doing before I'm surprised it hasn't been done a long long time ago. It's seriously makes planning and restructuring the way your city works easy as pie.

Where the game does fall down is making you use tokens and stuff for places your city fails on. So if I had an excess of goods to shift I can't just trade that stuff for food. I have to earn achievements linked to building stuff and hitting population markers to get them. It's fucking nonsense. These achievement pop up and obscure the playing field every few minutes, it's just constantly barraging you with congratulations everytime you do something, when you're trying to place roundabouts and a heavy road system before you place residences and factories, it's a fucking pain in the bell end.

So yeah. This is OK, but it could be so so much better if it wasn't so arse about face. Also, the music reminds me of what used to happen on tv when the transmission went down and you were stuck looking at an airbrushed screen as they were sorting the technical difficulty out. It's blander the a grandma's curry.

Would anyone like to suggest the next game so I can get it installed? Check the first post or have a look at my games in steam and vote me up if you want me to play something specific.

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta