passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

As far as I can tell people don't like Spider-Man Beyond. Maybe I've just been starved of a good Spidey story but I've really liked it. It's basically Peter has lost his body but Ben has lost his mind. Not every issue is a banger but some parts of it are great. Here are some of my favourite parts so far

Peter gets nuked

Spoiler

ymekWh2_oKaf0GTz-USyYCT9cuTWWjXh_ZJoR8em

_GnDpH3KXFJc2FR0NQ5k-nf73zVKT2YvBaIijkSF

hHPaD_esaXr6r_eRgGBNtSpPgNVnLiagKUCECS_k

dvLglnqAFMZezIJ6N84k43gZv3hVGRH5Z2rt5ODx

Peter's body going in to shock. His Spider-Sense is telling him he's in danger, but the danger is on the inside. The only way to get away is to go in to a coma 

Spoiler

pg92g96oYALTtszOPaxYzXhqXmIMPi1m0vjhAyDh

6riibQ3DIYNFAWnHwCAJeZadM7zPDTgC-D_3upqQ

6jQZbhV0mggTL0aj8_Y3v1BW_wAl2xm7L5jZe2G5

Peter wakes up momentarily because of Black Cat

Spoiler

bo6KH2bkg761HsfaxNsCSpJvz0Zyp2DNcgWJMT_U

bV7Gk3AdiBczipZxoj787Pl4bTxAoHqXcW9PL8Ul

w5HZV6m4Hac4rlnenvMu59ilRQrWeY2GM0Ijo7t8

Black Cat and Cap train Peter to get back to being Spider-Man

Spoiler

lzyh6d42xwbeA7J-mf4YL76Eblln0BFpC6Aw6TCZ

8qzxAJPDF5BrV2CHjHq_TSkwdhvqnnrSpuT-A_6m

4PD37S4ZvYQxESkHcYyMG44hnPy42USff9uQajBw

0QhSc0M2A1pfNYF7XqsrIgQQV-YrRyp_YY8W92f-

Beyond breaks Ben's mind, accidentally stripping parts of who he is. 

Spoiler

tXnymmM2myzLPNcufy13Lu8tLLIoo35LdIpuhz8n

6iRQjWGSR9H6RrX9jO4_4UHWIhiBwYV-2i6XBGVe

Ben fights the Goblin Queen but doesn't care about saving MJ

Spoiler

qVQcZ-N-FDuYGNDLDq4RHI43cgautDNbF6RmDCPL

J8sRtgosmIVkQEWrbvpMoEuIvlt2CYwBc_LIpA8G

hZ-LD6Csk86f_0Nv0xHWCZjMcO5-5ePFfetXXzyV

AnrknjBYin1JdOllA9NBFlPYnXZHdA0ihGoAQeTw

ZoZVyB1GCHAsrc5qr_2EOPD2r0037aBuiD37-6nB

pTOgX8Vw149cxFGy2jLYfQZMsmuetQqhFw7a7bAH

m5nSeTsI9sgKuVe_P0idiMAaAYotb02wtlLKXqEg

I think there's about 6 issues left to go which I'll finish over the next couple of days. No one likes this and it makes me feel like I'm missing something, but I think this is a good Spider-Man story. 

• 2 weeks later...

Neal Adams is DEAD

During his time at DC, Adams helped create, launch and introduce a number of recognizable characters to fans. He's largely known for his iconic Batman run with writer Dennis O'Neil, which revitalized the character with a darker tone compared to the Adam West television series. While working on the series, Adams introduced a number of new Batman characters fans now know and love, including Man-Bat, Ra’s al Ghul and his daughter, Talia al Ghul. Apart from Batman, Adams also revamped Green Lantern and Green Arrow with O'Neil. The two of them debuted Jon Stewart, a fan-favorite Green Lantern, for the first time in 1972's Green Lantern #87. Adams also worked for Marvel during the late 1960s and 70s on titles such as X-Men, The Avengers and more.

qmhdpl39gff01.jpg?auto=webp&s=a0829685e6

DvnmpyZWwAAdykL.jpg

😞

The title doesn't say anything about a comic's origin so here's a little bit of local trivia that'll mean absolutely nothing to all of you. I got my hands on this today:

4018ehK.jpg

A bit of extra info for those interested: the whole thing came together under the banner of the European Capital of Culture, which you may or may not know is in Luxembourg this year (Esch-sur-Alzette to be precise). The department literally right next to ours came up with the idea of doing a biographical comic/graphic novel about a key figure in worker's rights movement in our country (the titular Mr Schortgen). Between WWI and WWII he was working in the mines but was fed up with the complete lack of rights he and his coworkers had. So he went out and put himself on the list to get voted as a member of parliament and basically founded what is (I presume) our equivalent of the UK's labour party, to put things a bit in perspective.

Our team is currently doing PR and marketing for it so I got the chance to be at the release conference and meet the author and drawer. Not only is it really cool to see something like this take shape and form as a graphic novel instead of a dusty and dry matter-of-fact book, but it also fills me a bit with pride that it's all happening (or rather happened) where I live and grew up. The church you can see in the first picture here is not even 200m away from where I live for example:

jgYzzAz.jpg

Spoiler

EzUgdoT.jpg

I don't like Wolverine, that much is known. Much like Spider-Man, there was a time when I enjoyed the character. That isn't now. However, this artwork is pretty cool. The fact that I know where each look is from, amuses me.

3b8debce7f56491d1e41a1021091a89274801b05 

Love the prominence of Feral Wolverine, too.

Read Amazing Spider-Man #1 by Wells and Romita Jr. 

0leYKAujwcFy2-UU2C9ZBzCslEqeJPgtIHX5EL6i

The interiors are not much better than the cover. Also why is his hand wrong. They know what they’re doing, I dunno why they do it.

Everything about MJ having kids was also in the leak so not sure what’s going on there, but I can already tell you I don’t like it. They just spent maybe 2 years of bringing Peter and MJ back together, and now something happened, it’s 6 months later, she’s got kids and there’s another guy called Paul.

Like with everything else in the comic something happened 6 months ago so now everyone hates Spider-Man/Peter but they don’t tell you what. The only clues to what happened is the comic opens in a crater where some kind of massive explosion happened and Spider-Man’s in the middle of it. The Human Torch also shows up and they talk about how Peter stole something from the FF and now they’re at odds. 

There’s a brewing gang war happening between the Rose and Tombstone which makes it feel very 80’s Spider-Man. Maybe it’s just because the Rose is in it, I dunno. 

I really liked this page.

vUOdUwW5-trTRg3nemO9er_xka7ZVe-WsZqM0_B1
“Enough with the green door!” 😆

This is a fun call back because the first and maybe only appearance of Digger is when JRJR drew him way back when he drew Spider-Man the first time with Straczynski. Digger is not a good villain by any means and they treat him like a joke in the issue, but it’s a fun call back because JRJR invented him, and it’s an example of something they do well in the comic and that’s address old and recent continuity in ASM and other Marvel comics.

Overall I enjoyed this issue. I just think the art is kinda crap, the whole 6 month time gap is not an interesting mystery - hopefully when they fill in the blank it’s worth it but right now it just feels a bit lazy. And the MJ stuff. Why.

But fun jokes, good call backs, nice continuity. I liked it overall.

At the very least it’s a much stronger start than the 2018 ASM#1 so that’s something? 

EDIT:

Look at this variant cover. They should have went with this

Spoiler

ngcb1

George Pérez is DEAD

Born June 9, 1954 in Puerto Rico, Pérez got his start in the industry in the early '70s at Marvel Comics, penciling back up stories in titles such as Astonishing Tales and Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu, in which he co-created Puerto Rican superhero White Tiger alongside writer Bill Mantlo, to celebrate his own heritage.

He quickly moved on to become the regular artist of Avengers for over 20 issues, co-creating the Taskmaster and drawing part of the 'Korvac Saga' story, one of Pérez's first major storylines.

Following stints at Marvel on Fantastic Four and Inhumans, Pérez moved to DC where he took on penciling duties for Justice League of America after the death of longtime JLA artist Dick Dillin. 

From there, Pérez became the artist on New Teen Titans, revamping the teen team alongside writer Marv Wolfman to make it one of the most popular comics of its era. In his run on Teen Titans, Pérez designed the first Nightwing costume, perhaps the most famous of the eccentric, hyper-detailed costume designs he became known for in his career. 

Following New Teen Titans, Pérez cemented his reputation as a go-to artist for high-profile superhero event stores as the lead artist on DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, where he developed his penchant for massive group shots featuring dozens and dozens of highly-detailed, intricately rendered characters and dynamic layouts.

Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, Pérez revamped Wonder Woman with a new origin and a new style, elevating back to a fan-favorite character after several years of downturn, and bringing her back to her roots in Greek mythology.

In the early '90s, Pérez returned to Marvel Comics for another major crossover event as the lead artist on the story Infinity Gauntlet. For a few years, Pérez took on selective projects, including Peter David's Hulk: Future Imperfect in which he co-created Maestro, the evil future version of the Hulk. But in the late '90s, Pérez returned to the spotlight in a big way as the artist of the 'Heroes Return' era Avengers relaunch alongside writer Kurt Busiek.

Busiek and Pérez returned the Avengers to a more classic status quo following the controversial 'Heroes Reborn' relaunch, elevating the title to one of Marvel's flagship books for a years-long partnership.

Pérez's time on Avengers was capped off with the fulfillment of a dream that had been brewing for the artist since the early '80s, with the publication of Avengers vs. JLA alongside his Avengers creative partner Busiek. Perhaps the best, most definitive story of all the official Marvel/DC crossovers over the years, Avengers vs. JLA is a crowning achievement in Pérez's superhero career.

Though he continued taking on new projects after Avengers vs. JLA, including his creator-owned Crimson Plague and Sirens titles, Pérez announced his retirement from comic books in 2019, citing his health as the main factor in his decision.

In December 2021 Pérez announced a terminal cancer diagnosis along with his intention to spend his remaining time with friends and family and his hopes to connect with his many fans.

"I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears," Pérez stated. He was 67 years old.

JLAAvengers-2.jpg?fit=1200,915&ssl=1

George-Perez_2.jpg

Another icon, gone.😔

Was reading Twitter a bit today for all the outpouring for him. Nothing but good shit. Jim Lee did a really respectful thread talking about him and stuff. Also reminds you he drew so much of the iconic comic book pages and covers that everybody knows. 

FSLBmHnVcAEdfoV?format=jpg&name=medium

FSLiPEoXIAIGe4L?format=jpg&name=medium

FSMMx15XoAQAAmZ?format=jpg&name=large

One of my nieces was excited for the upcoming She-Hulk show. Asked me what the character is like in the comics? Is she just "Girl-Hulk". No, I said. I pointed out a couple classic Marvel covers, to give her a flavour of the character. Like this one:

616527.jpg

Marvel Age #70