passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

DAMN X-Men is finally getting explosive again. HoX and PoX was such a fantastic re-entry for the X-Men but I feel it’s been a particularly slow burn since then (Almost 2 years ago which is frightening) and I thought the big event they had since then, X of Swords, was kind of a dud. There are important things that happen in it which impacts the rest of the X-Men but a lot of set up cushioned in a lot of boredom.

Then they make it all pay off with 2 issues. Planet sized X-Men where they terraformed Mars, and Sword #6 where the mutants just claimed the solar system.

Holy shit I want to link every page which I won’t but this is crazy

ZXqOL6WBDg2e2kdo130k1AeR2bWzzzMkVGx_rBYK

Spoiler

Ptg6mgIijKLfdZp1-UnsYDEP9F2rSlwBYXozL5WC
zA6KhYiktmMMLDVIB9fns-4_FUMzgz8MuXSzE-s7

GqOEqrWJZdq7Wap-GHJO2FC2XT5KFzHdGf3rNoZS

pyDFzDto_K_jIMiJ1jZMziE_jR622DVosFA62bd3
uXp4uaFGprv_ukojeZDxEIgSuxB1SQPul6uTr_WE

XkBWxDc-buFcXGsblZ6G-IKDGID9Be7O2cEfAdoF
iOLvnO3C_MuBU5Igwzgr_7CLfE43oTGIlDMRZg6x

ArHFsVF-RDIgC6E0RhfTEydd9d137DPY2xVXX3xM

Impressed. Frustrated. Conflicted. Not sure what to feel. How will the X-Men ever return from all of this?

Because they're meant to be heroes and they're bribing people and changing the world with politics and force. At some point the status quo will return because it's comics and it always does but how will they tidy all this away and redeem the X-Men when they're done I don't know. I feel like at the end the core X-Men team will have to side with the world against Krakoa to win the earth back or something.  

The thing is every single mutant is so all in on this idea of Krakoa. I still don't believe this is the real X-Men. Something is happening to them when they come out of these pods. 

clean.jpg

The X-Men, the heroes, are in this book. That's one of the best things about the Hickman era. All of the X-books are their own thing. One about the lawyers of Krakoa, "pirates", Black-Ops, Religion etc Not all of them are B or C-List hero teams anymore, like the old X-Factor, Gen X and X-Force.

The rest of the books however, such as SWORD, are dealing with the Mutants first nation and they have nothing to redeem. Mystique is going to mess with Krakoa in the upcoming 'Inferno' event. Beyond that, the status quo doesn't mean much to X-Men anymore. There have been soft resets, for jumping on points. But it has been a Very, very long time since Professor X sent a team on missions from the mansion. Not since Morrison's New X-Men, back in 2004.

I haven't read the new mainline X-Men book because I missed #1 due to a card payment fuck up so I'm trying to track that down before reading #2. It did seem like at the end of X of Swords that the X-Men were back properly, or as properly as they can be while being apart of Krakoa. I still don't think it's them though. I mean Storm has always been fierce and loyal but effectively conquering and ruling a planet? Being Ok with all this? She's always been very moral (After the thief upbringing stuff) and this is not moral at all. It's fascinating and weird. I like it because it's interesting, I don't like it because it's like what happened to you Storm? 

I agree that each X-Book having it's own lane is cool, unfortunately some of them don't really add anything to the overall Krakoan saga. Some books seem integral. X-Men, Sword, Mauraders, X-Force, Excalibuar, etc. But a lot of the X-Books are a bit irrelevant. A character will go off on a whole side quest which maybe adds one element to the overall situation. Most of the time the element that's added could have easily been folded in to another book and not need it's own series to make it happen. 

I guess you could argue it fleshes out the world of Krakoa. But lets be realistic, it's more just milking the situation. 

I like the Hickman era stuff overall but there are times when a few months go by and I read a lot of the books but start to get bored because it's so slow and they're trying to spread it out so much as an excuse to make a new series. Then every now and then you get one issue like Sword #6 where it's boom every page is like holy fuck.

As far as the status quo goes. I didn't mean as literal as Professor X being in charge and all of that. I meant just a team of X-Men in a mansion or base somewhere protecting people while being hated and having adventures. I mean that was the X-Men up until 2 writers ago or something.

Every comic returns to it's most normal premise at some point. They always reset back to 0. Short of rewriting reality, or this timeline being not apart of the true Marvel timeline because of Moira or something, how will the X-Men ever be likeable again? I don't know. When it is cool it's really cool, though. 

Funny thing. That reveal of Storm in SWORD is a bit misleading. Mars Arrako, is now home to the other dimensional Mutants from X of Swords. The short version: They terraformed Mars and moved in. Magneto basically arranged it because, as the Arrako Mutants were aggressive survivalists, they were causing problems on Earth.

As an aside, Storm has had really iffy characterisation for the last decade or so (although Beast has had it worse).

It took until X-Men #21 (Hickman's last) before they even named a team of X-Men. Essentially, there wasn't a defacto team of X-Men until that point. This new volume, is the first outing of the X-Men proper since the House of X reboot. All the stuff you were asking for, is in this book. The whole running missions from a base in New York stuff.

There have always been a lot of ...third tier books with X-titles. Not every one is a winner. I doubt the book with Angel's law firm, for example, will last very long. Fallen Angels was already quietly cancelled a while back. Personally I only get the mainline X-Men book and Hellions. The rest, I'm not really interested in. Oddly enough, the current issue of Hellions features the council of Arrako and probably explains how Storm takes over as leader.

X-Men has had two reboots that I can think of, in recent times. Morrison's New X-Men and House of X. Neither of them returned the plot progression to 0. They just start anew from a fresh perspective. That's how all the young Mutants like Kitty, Jubilee, Cannonball etc have been allowed to grow up.

I’ve been reading comics all day. Mostly really good ones. But there was this fight in Batman #110 between Batman and a new character called Peacekeeper 01 who is basically a psychotic Robocop that was especially good

bY9R9A6TjkKdf2V3_6lb25dzTXJRxUOKOmk5wdiO

Drawn by Jorge Jimenez so it looks incredible. 

Spoiler

AWj6r9DWBI9nDj0Af1HJDDlsYuJSyhNNQVEPZ8Bf
j90jwIb9Kmz46UwZQKsx3ojm--PknsYlWNXJyZ_w

4cFmkhbyJPNDeiaN5US7_prBcj0snvAWj7i0Xv7s
augg8lGsVbmlWXbTJOxad13NrwHq23iFCyFlbMXB

wZuPyiilejNtXHkvz9YG9TtlOW7zmSjS4ia6ttFH
KySWoCiYQnevOyU8ss0U46UbDV_1eAyilV8sISAK

CQ5xKAoo9TdccE5F9kXDCv7BWCoMORs06SZU7v8X

Blowing up buildings in morse code 🤣 this was a really good issue

Ugh, so that whole miracle healing thing that always rubbed me the wrong way was ultimately pointless as well.

The panel where she sits down is really clever though, the way she's hunched and positioned her legs makes it look like she's paralyzed again. I love it when they put that much work in seemingly unimportant details.

I thought since it’s trailer day I would post a bit from one of my favourite Spider-Man stories. Spider-Man: Hollywood. This is a story where Sam Raimi makes the first Spider-Man movie and real Spider-Man is really mad about it

RCO001.jpg

Spoiler

RCO007.jpg
RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg
RCO016.jpg

RCO017.jpg
RCO018.jpg

RCO004.jpg
RCO005.jpg

RCO014.jpg
RCO015.jpg

RCO016.jpg
RCO018.jpg

RCO020.jpg
RCO021.jpg

The font of the first one suggests a Daredevil event. Hopefully better than Shadowland...

Avengers Forever... I think they've used that name a few times now? So that in itself is meaningless.

'Timeless' looks like a big deal.

A Wolverine event... Pass

She-Hulk, it depends which version they use.

A FF event might be interesting. Hopefully with a new writer to replace Slott.

A potential event around Moon Girl/DD seems a bit of a stretch.

6 moments that make Superman the ultimate superhero

superman-wallpaper-preview.jpg

1. An ultimate S.O.S

Spoiler

nsuqyr5lkj641.jpg

2. It’s never as bad as it seems

Spoiler

DLqcqSUVoAAM7Ik.jpg:large

3. Wow! Cool costume!

Spoiler

Eu9a76hXAAEzoSQ.jpg
Eh_D8SZU4AA2cEq.jpg

4. I have to put you down 

Spoiler

gJfY_14Br1_qHYWgZc5wpfoiXT51Wtmf351Fd7O9

5. Fear needs hope

Spoiler

RCO018.jpg

6. Are you going to help everyone?

Spoiler

QpUhI8gIMcx8Ad2iDH8WD0x9PlBWilD8rQ8EC-sQ

Participated on a kickstarter thing for the first time in forever (it was only 2018 but still feels like forever ago) for this little Witcher-themed manga: 

Looks nice enough and it's not too expensive in case it all goes to hell. Should be done by early 2022 already too which I think is a reasonable deadline (that also shouldn't be affected by the usual shortages because it's just, well, paper).

I'm currently 'Off The Grid', as my friends & family know it. Basically two days after surgery, Gilbert's Syndrome kicked in and I'm currently rotating between internal pain and throwing up. So I become unreachable, until the bout passes. 

Good Times.

That said, I got a new load of comics this week and one cover in particular, I needed to point out. Due to it's significance.

0nslaught.jpg

Doesn't get more 90's than Onslaught! 😁

Take 1# The thing is you can have someone retcon adventures and fill in the blanks for Peter because Peter is the real Spider-Man and his adventures build who he is. Ben Reilly was a stunt that - even though I loved at the time - is long since done. His value is over and you can’t increase the impact of or recapture the stunt by adding more to it. 

Take 2# Good Spider-Man comics are so few and far between I’ll take what I can get cuz I’m a sucker that way 😓