passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

50 minutes ago, Maf said:

So if even a tiny fraction of kids think I want to find out more of this story that’s good for comics.

Yes, hence why you put Marvel in Fortnite but not vice-versa or am I looking at this upside down?

Well it’s a crossover. Fortnite wants Marvel fans to come spend money in Fortnite and Marvel wants Fortnite fans to buy their comics. So it makes sense for the characters to appear in each. 

How successful they’ll be is probably not high but comics have no principles. They’ll do whatever you want as long as you buy the book. 

New comic book day! 

EkNcXF8XkAkoC9a?format=jpg&name=large

There are so many good covers this month I had to leave some out because it was just too much. 

Spoiler

le8Ng4_KJgOieg1SDFw95XcEf8qVpD7cv0-HCy9U
Superman #25

zx-Dl0cowe-wXFNTwlzBz2AqayU79502pHiuUFNV

Marauders #12

fHpkoRDDFNrA93v9n5N3HbJSR4ADWyTLEhToh5fq
Marauders #13

Q74etZ_YD70xWPtAC5NaxNw8zDoTbX-P1bIXfwKv
Venom #28

oBpKw2_Ccm976dImKF27Ho9_jAdPYEssjvlBsOsj

Daredevil #22

g-V466tsxK848q6cd1OrAhdxMg6fPlcAZ7My79oQ

X-Force #12

FOBRT8fz5QE5LoBCtPS79K3-XMS3gGA34stAYxNZ
Deadpool #7

l2Zsf59GXVNkHpsTf-H81T7IyokIxk658C8C7_9_

Black Widow #2

ZjEek5SMvkCFzOPrZAOdgF3prWNhzuQ6u56eZH_V
Champions #1

0_PLAGmStF6nFbcVoJuvHUdi_frj_2GjnJ0wG72c

Justice League #53

Lk2DYqPaIM36WMvRDYnm7xdD3VncghQ15j3FKmV4
Justice League #54

jG4CrI5nyd2j2OGgBgStX50OmhUMYMa94_PcSVeD

Shazam #15

rPTdZ_vCiOhdwv8Hoi8PPPJKpAlQ8_Yu2rX7tCBc

Young Justice #19

5DHr5zr1W0uAGcKmUMncq1RxOf2x-jYr61ljUHmc
Captain America #23

BuxZbUVgJQzsKalNRO57ELXihl5L9dySblNzg73d
Strange Academy #3

LsxbheEhVokgCss_v-gq-gTtRCtCzgkOV411ezQH
Far Sector #8

ZavxMge5ElLkPEOS65nM1YZpppVaKPdm_UjX4pNe
Flash #762

01.jpg
Juggernaut #1

MAbJFvmrLkvwl4GN7CoCUEZsnVtnx3ue91BU0GL9
Thor #7

v4nW6C3WhacPMXhvtujOJF8qgrrnoiKydmLVKf80
Amazing Spider-Man #49 (#850)

LJuy1NMh3KLULkl3u5QFBjapHoQB1zYIExEA2WDp
Batman #99

Batman100_CVR_color_6003-scaled.jpg
Batman #100

Phew. That’s a lot of covers! 

I've got Juggernaut #1 on the way too. Pretty excited for that. I've also heard about the "controversial" Marauders #12. It is nice to see them revisit a classic look for Kitty Pryde though.

I don't know if they tie-in to the same story but the DD and Captain America covers, with the armours do make me chuckle. The "MCU effect". Wherein everyone either wants or is improved by an Iron Tech Armour. When previously, outside of Iron Man books/rogues, no one wanted one. Most of them didn't need it.

Yay it’s like 2 months late but my Absolute Carnage hardcover arrived

EkTZiP_XsAM8eNV?format=jpg&name=large

Contains the main 4 issue series and all the tie-ins most of which I didn’t read. This is one of my favourite Marvel events in a longtime and the best Spider-Man/Venom event in forever so was more than happy to spend the £50. Just don’t know why but Amazon had it pending for nearly 2 months. 

Next big event for DC. Spinning out of Death Metal.

EkYA-g3VcAETLIG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Not sure how excited I am for this. It’s supposed to be about seeing the future and end for lots of main DC heroes or their multiverse counterparts.

The problem with any kind of story like this is that you know it’s bullshit because DC will never, ever stop making Batman comics about “present day” Batman. So skipping to the end and launching a new comic called The Next Batman. There will never be a next Batman so why.

Add to the fact that this has happened so many times before it’s like oh, really. So all those other times we’ve seen Batman end, those don’t count, this is the real one, yeah sure.

That’s not to say this won’t be fun or interesting but very rarely does a comic book character or series have rich mythology added to it by jumping straight to the end. Unless it’s out of continuity, which apparently this isn’t.

The good news is that regular DC comics will be stopped for 2 months while this event happens. Nice for me as I was worried I’d be overspending an even more ridiculous amount on comics than I already do. They also have some cool creatives involved as well. Jen Bartel doing the interiors for Immortal Wonder Woman, Nick Derrington doing The Next Batman, Schmidt doing Catwoman, etc. 

I think more than anything this isn’t the future of DC and more just a showcase and try out for new talent and ideas. I didn’t recognise any of the writers names for these comics and there are already some cool new character designs going around

EkYAm_BXkAUaIN1?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

EkYQDg-XcAkLsSj?format=jpg&name=large
EkYKQFPWoAMPxcP?format=jpg&name=medium

EkZbKe1XkAY57RL?format=jpg&name=large
EkZBFplVgAEwE4Z?format=jpg&name=large

EkYQVL_WsAAL9QG?format=jpg&name=900x900
EkYlyhRVkAEXEC7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Yeah, I liked some of those covers too, particularly the WW one and Supergir...woman, sorry.

I just hope these stories are isolated enough for someone like me who hasn't read any major arcs in the last 15 years to be able to follow them. If so I could see myself checking out some of these when they're eventually bundled in a paperback or hardcover.

New This Week...

cmx.jpg

Juggernaut #1

I'm a little behind with my Juggernaut lore. Last time I read one of his stories, he fully absorbed the power of his gem and became this...

Spoiler

4469240-3234858608-cain-.png

latest?cb=20150519132105

He truly became the Unstoppable Juggernaut. As all of his previous weaknesses were gone.

Amazing X-Men Vol. 3 (2014)

Fast forward to 2020, Cain Marko now works for Damage Control (long story, but they repair the sites destroyed during superhero battles.) He is back to his more "normal" powerset too. Also a nice little nod to previous continuity, as Marko journeys through another dimension. Where Dr. Strange sent him back in the 60's. The story is a decent first issue and it is nice to see some classic artwork in the form of Ron Garney. More known for his Captain America run in the 90's. Next issue is Juggernaut and the Immortal Hulk, which should be very interesting to see. 7/10

Hellions #5/X of Swords #6 (of 22)

Mr. Sinister takes centre stage here. While I still don't like this characterisation, for the set-up to the Hellions involvement in the wider X of Swords event, it works. He tasks them with a suicide mission. To which the Quiet Council agrees, and insists that he leads the group. He complies in a way that only Sinister can. Empath also rejoins the group and avenges his death in the first arc, in a way that can only end badly for him. 8/10

Strange Adventures #6 (of 12)

Now we add yet another layer of complexity to the characterisations here. Chiefly in the case of Alanna. The last issue certainly gave the vibe of antagonist and manipulator. This issue, that isn't so clear cut.  As the flashbacks give us a latter day glimpse of the last great war of Rann. While in the present day, Mr Terrific and Alanna give a fair bit of insight into both of them. Although I do look forward to the companion issue to this one and its added context on these events. 9/10 

New This Week...

xfc.jpg

X-Men #13/X of Swords #10(of 22)

An immediate continuation of XoS Creation. We have another Apocalypse-centric issue. More New backstory featuring his previous family. Plus, the reason why he didn't go with them...

not-strong.png

That is an interesting claim to make. I don't know if it serves to make the new antagonist really powerful, or another nerf for Apocalypse? It was a good issue, but it was more exposition than anything else. 7/10

Fantastic Four #25

The best issue in a long time. We have a new status quo for just about everyone by the end of the story. Franklin most of all. Including two key turning points for both the FF and the Marvel Universe going forward (yes, they are setting up the next Event already)8/10

But wait, there's more...

jug.jpg

Well.. That was disappointing.

Classic Juggernaut vs. Hulk fights have been all about the spectacle. This one, isn't. The fight is poorly paced and not very well illustrated either. You see that cover image? That is the clearest image of the fight in the entire issue. The other problems with the book are:

(1) Hulk is largely redundant. This issue clearly states it takes place prior to Immortal Hulk #30. So already stakes and impetus are removed.

(2) Juggernaut is inexplicably weaker than he has been in about a decade. Prior JvH fights were to a standstill. Unstoppable Force X Immovable object, kinda stuff. Here, Juggernaut is being smacked around like he is The Thing (FF) IE so far down the strength rankings the fight is a foregone conclusion. Which, considering this is the Juggernaut's book, is not the right impression that should be portrayed.

A decent start and a disappointing second issue, is not an alluring incentive for a new series in the long term. 5/10

• 2 weeks later...

New This Week...

XoS.jpg

X of Swords: Stasis (XoS #11 of 22)

Technically the mid point of this event and... this is basically the exposition heavy debut of the primary antagonists. It isn't great. Considering those debuted here are the direct opponents to their X-Men counterparts, most are "recruited" in three to four panels. With next to no backstory or anything beyond their aesthetic. Halfway through this arc and the fighting hasn't even started yet. I'm starting to get the sinking feeling at least a third of these 22 chapters will be padding. 5/10

• 2 months later...

I've been a little lax with this stuff for a while. New books have been coming in, but I had my ole illness off and on for about a month and it doesn't really prompt me to do much. Now that has shifted and before I show off the backlog. I dug up something from my archives.

Anyone who has seen The New Mutants film, will be aware of Dr Reyes. For one of the films, she was a surprisingly faithful adaptation. Other than plot-specific allegiances she doesn't normally have.

Mad 90s.jpg

I believe this one was a poster from Wizard Magazine. Circa around 1997. This is the original design for Cecilia Reyes. She was introduced as one of the New X-Men,  introduced during the crossover event, Operation: Zero Tolerance. An ER Doctor that was swiftly fired after being outed as a Mutant. After the event she actually refused to join the X-Men. Instead being an ally for many years. Forcefield powers are basically the same as in the film.

Behind her, is Maggott. A personal favourite with a very strange and interesting powerset. I doubt he will feature in any film. Ever.

• 4 weeks later...

Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers

Way before her successful debut in the MCU. Or her character resurgence in the 2000's (alongside the Avengers en masse). She was known for two things. 

1) How X-Men's Rogue got the more impressive side of her powerset.

2) One of the most controversial and notorious stories Marvel has ever produced:

This. For the uninitiated and/or newer fans of the character...enjoy, I guess? 

• 3 months later...

Clearly, this thread has been dormant for a while...

It is one of those things, the longer the gap inbetween talking about issues, the more you fall behind. As it is close to the end, I'm going to save talking about DC's Strange Adventures until it finishes. The last issue alone dropped a pretty significant twist.

Meanwhile, it was the X-Men side of things that prompted me to post today...

01X.jpg

Okay, so the X-books are currently all tied into an event called 'Hellfire Gala'. It isn't so much an event, as an epilogue to the last phase (for example, the current X-Men #21 is Hickman's last as writer) and epilogue to where each series is headed under some new creative teams. AKA Talking heads with next to no action. Which brings us to this book...

Previously on X-Men..

The entire Mutant population has formed a new nation on the [Mutant] island of Krakoa. Through events, a second island joined onto Krakoa and suddenly their population was in the millions. Leading to a lot of mistrust and suspicion from both the Superhero and political communities. Emma Frost has organised a special gala, inviting everyone from the Avengers to politicians to famous face cameos. To make peace while strengthening deals and alliances for the fledgling nation. With permission, she then psychically links the minds of those in attendance for the main event of the night. To announce to the world: Using only their powers, the Mutants have terraformed Mars and claimed it as their own!

Screenshot_20210615-214209_Drive.jpg?res

This is essentially the primer to the next run, written by Gerry Duggan. To say it hits the ground running is an understatement. To me, it also makes a point regarding the characters themselves. Marvel has this habit of making ultra powerful, god level characters and doing nothing with me, beyond their initial story. Here Duggan showcases at least two of those with the power to warp reality and shows them making the most of it. They don't just build a city on Mars ala classic sci-fi/human science. They reignite the core, restore the atmosphere and make the land itself liveable without space suits. Real crazy sci-fi shit that X-Men has always had the potential to do.

Hickman reinvented the wheel with House of X/Powers of X. Planet Size X-Men #1 takes them into a fascinating new direction altogether. 9.5/10