passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFGamers Retro Game-a-month

radiofloyd

2013:

02/2013 - Policenauts (PS1/Sega Saturn)

03/2013 - Silent Hill 2 (PS2/Xbox)

04/2013 - Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

05/2013 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (PC)

06/2013 - The Last Express (PC} Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC/Xbox)

July 2013 - System Shock 2 (PC)

SystemShock2.jpg

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2

Got it working! Quick and easy. Pm me if you're unsure, or i can put instructions in a spoiler tag.

Played the first 10 minutes. Loving it so far - the graphics, the atmosphere, the tone of the game - it's like playing an anime. The intro was great. Playing it with my snes usb controller.

3 hours in now, it's brilliant. Anyone else playing it?

I can honestly say i've never played anything like it. It's like a Japanese take on a point and click, except there's no inventory, progression is all through dialogue. Maybe it's a genre in Japan? I don't know. I guess it falls in the "visual novel" category.Shame that it wasn't localised though, or that there haven't been more games like it since.

The story has been fascinating so far, and mature. You really get sucked in to the world of Beyond Coast. In the location i've just been you can listen to the entire game's soundtrack on a shelf. And it's a soundtrack as good as any classic rpg.

Still playing this every day, on to Act 2 "Astronauts" now. "Love and space" is how I would sum up Policenauts. It's funny. On the one hand, the game is sleazy as hell, there are several female characters in the game you can "touch", "smell" and even "eat" (the script is amazing). It's true, there are things in this game that some people would probably find very objectionable and I couldn't really argue with that.

And yet, it's easily one of the more mature games I've played (quiet in the back). It must be those sad, wise Japanese voices...

On a retro-related note, I have to recommend Matt Barton's excellent Matt Chat videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/blacklily8

His interviews are really a treasure trove. Of course they aren't all about old games but his most recent retro one is a nice interview with one of the developers of Pool of Radiance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've still not played this one tbh, I was planning on it this weekend if I get Metal Gear done

Well Policenauts is the kind of game you would play for 15-20 minutes at a time anyway, I'll definitely be continuing it as well!

I've got a healthy list of games I want to play so I know what I'll be picking if nobody else makes a suggestion, but the floor is open...

To Keep the Kojima theme going I have this copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 that my brother left behind I'd play. Plus, any Silent Hill from 2 to 4.

They're not that retro but that's what I'd suggest.

Well out of those i've played MGS2 and SH3 so I would be most interested in playing SH2, your call...