passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Far Cry 3

Hendo

Started this up from scratch on the PC, I'm already a fair way in.

On default settings it looked alright, put everything on full and it looked incredible but ran like dog shit. Turned down only a couple of things like shadows and now it runs great and still looks great.

I hope I finally finish it this time, it's certainly scratching the OCD open world itch at the moment.

Advice for Sly, presuming that he hasn't played it before....

Once the game starts properly, go out of your way to craft the biggest wallet and crafting bag you can as money is never really a problem but it's very easy to fill your stuff up too soon, so kill lots of the critters you need.

I really struggled with the bag crafting, I was looking for some beaver type thing or some shit, I only found them because I heard snorting so stopped to have a look around. Got that critter and I got the bisons as well that were snorting. I chased some deer back up the hill as well after doing a boat mission, those fuckers just did not want to die at all. I have a sniper rifle now which makes killing the smaller stuff a bit easier, especially if it runs away.

I'm defo going shark hunting next session, depending on how they act I might see about trying to get them to the coastline and blowing them up with C4 or mines. I'll see about clearing the camps and towers out down the west coasts so I can hunt without fear of being a target for pirates, when I was shooting the bisons I attracted the pirates attention and it was really hard to try and keep on top of the situation as there was so much going on that I was really lucky to avoid being run over, shot or trampled.

Also, and I know this is quite an old thing, but I'm really glad they took malaria out of the game. Having to take pills all the time was shite.

Speaking of that older game, is there just one map in this or is it split over several areas? While we're talking about the map, is it worth tracking down the collectables? I'm thinking they might unlock stuff, but if they only go towards an achievement then fuck that, seems like a waste of time unless I'm going past one and it's an easy pick up for the XP.

There is a second island that it won't let you get to yet.

I think the collectibles are just for achievements and xp, I'm just getting them as I go but I might go for all the letters. I'm certain I'll get all the memory cards.

A good tactic for sharks is use a boat and sit in the middle of the water. I tried getting them with a sniper rifle from the shore and it was a waste of time.

Be sure to use your camera at all times to help track enemies and animals so you don't lose them.

I'll be sitting in the middle of the water on the boat with the sniper rifle, maybe if shooting them doesn't work I can grenade them or something.

I probably spent more time with the camera in my hands than guns, I mainly use melee to kill pirates.

I absolutely love Far Cry 3, I had no intention of looking at it in the past till my friend brought it round my house and played it in front of me.

I didn't even bother fully crafting everything to the max, I couldn't be arsed with the 'legendary' animal. But I found tower and destroyed every camp. I found the bow the best thing to use (also most fun.)

Actually tempted to go through it again on PS3.

I really like this. Vaas is an excellent character.

I sort of feel bad that eventually he's going to get killed, I mean he's a nutcase and he's done a lot of bad things, but he's being led/forced into it from the little bit I've seen

Also, so many drug things in this. I'm surprised the demonising press didn't ride it hard due to the drug consumption stuff in here.

Some of the one liners in this are pretty good too. The one about speaking without having permission made me laugh loud, especially given which nationality made the bloody game.

I think it's wrapping up to Hoyt now. Saying that, it could go on longer than expected like the treasure hunt Buck sends you on. Speaking of Buck, the guy that did his lines was impeccable. The whole delivery he gives is just perfect, it's so organic in the way he flows through his lines. Same with Vaas too, the voice talent is some really high quality stuff.

The natives that come when you take over an outpost are terrible though.

I had one great moment where I went towards the board and a guy started, "we have the outpost, but our work here is not done.....".

Clicked the hunting quest and then when I accepted it a second guy repeated the same line but sounded really sarcastic like he was taking the piss out of his mate.

• 8 months later...

Fun fact: you can't search for this game on the forum because it wont accept words less than four characters long.

I started playing a couple of days ago, and I'm having loads of fun with it. I'm doing all the stuff you did in 2012/13 and it's still really enjoyable.

I'm barely into the story because I keep getting distracted by random stuff, but I'm getting to the point where you need to find mission specific animals to craft things now so I should probably start following the missions.

I did the weed farm mission today. I knew it was coming because it was one of the big things talked about when the game came out, but it was still a load of fun. I doubt I'll use the flamethrower in the game again, but burning the fuck out of the crops and buildings was fantastic.