passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anarchy Reigns

HandsomeDead

This was announced ages ago and I'm surprised I've not brought it up here before. I came across this trailer which reminded me of its existence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xVAMOKvT5rM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It doesn't make any real sense so I'll try to bring in some context.

What makes this character action game a little different to the others is it's been built as an online multiplayer game, so it's like Power Stone, but not as much as a party fighter but one with all the action of a game like Bayonetta or God Hand. And Bayonetta turns up in this along with a couple of characters from Madworld so it's successfully pandering to the fanboy in me.

I really want to be excited about it but with SEGA not giving it the kind of push an online action game needs I'm worried by the time I get it it will have next to no community... well maybe it'll have a few dedicated fans but that means you'll have to get good at it to play them. Real good. They only have until 6th July to make people want it.

But they've also said they are putting a lot of effort in to the story mode so it may still be worth hunting down.

8 player punching people!? Sound fun?

This was at Eurogamer expo last year. Unfortunately I didn't get to have a go (because I couldn't be arsed to wait), but there were a couple of people who must have really liked it, because they were there every time I went near.

It looked ok, but I'm not sure if I'm up for a multiplayer brawler. I'd have to see if anything jumps out as appealing about it nearer the time.

I tried it at Eurogamer, i was in a 4 way battle and i did enjoy battering the crap out of each other, even though it was a lil repetitive.

I have been unsure of this game for a while but ive gone and pre-ordered it yesterday, platinum has never let me down.

I just hope Bayonetta eventually becomes a DLC that you can buy.

Oh dear. Game temporarily put on hold

According to Sega, Anarchy Reigns will launch on 6th July in Europe and 3rd July in the US. But Japanese developer Platinum isn't so sure.

In a note on the Platinum website, the Bayonetta maker said Sega had changed Anarchy Reigns' release date to TBC - despite it being finished.

"We break the bad news about Anarchy Reigns US/EU release date - Sega has decided to change the date to TBC," reads the post.

"While our work on the game is finished, localised, and ready to go, as publisher, Sega gets to make the final decision as to when it is released. The Japanese release date, however, remains unchanged for 5th July 2012."

In a video a Platinum representative said: "That means 'to be confirmed', not 'to be cancelled'. We worked really hard to make sure everybody could get the game on time. The game is fully localised. If you buy the Japanese version or any version, it's going to have all the languages in it. We really wanted everybody online around the world to play together at the same time, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

"In the West, Sega is looking for the best time to put it out. It will still be out in July. There will still be ways for you to get it if you know where to go. We're still 100 per cent behind the game and we still want to connect with you and play with you and have a good time. So let's make sure that happens no matter what bad news we get."

Why has Sega delayed the game? We've asked the publisher for comment.

In December last year Sega delayed Anarchy Reigns to July. At the time, Sega West senior vice president of marketing Gary Knight said the delay - the game's second - was in part the result of a desire to make it bigger.

"Anarchy Reigns brings a new take to the brawler genre and we've decided to take a little more time to deliver the full knockout punch," he said.

"I can't reveal much now, but it's something to do with scale. Let's just say traditional one on one or two versus two fighters will be a thing of the past…"

Earlier this month development on Bayonetta 2 was reportedly cancelled after an internal restructure at publisher Sega.

SEGA have been having trouble lately and I don't buy the the idea that SEGA are 'waiting for the best time' to release it though it's still going to be in July... what does it matter?

It doesn't sound good anyway, especially since the spokesperson seems to be encouraging importing, which I've never seen before.

So there's a demo up of this on the Japanese store. The single player is okay. You can choose between two scenarios where you control different characters. One of the is Jack from Madworld and the other is some new guy called Leo; he has laser blades that flip out of his arms and legs. He's pretty cool.

It controls a lot like God Hand but there isn't that 'every baddie can fuck you up' thing that God hand has, most of the enemies are just fodder you chew through between character fights. It doesn't have that right stick dodge, too, which is annoying because since it feels like God Hand I keep using it to dodge subconsciously.

Since it's all in Japanese I had no idea what I was meant to be doing on the Jack fight. I was beating up Black Baron then there was a warning and a load kanji symbols or something popped up, then a passenger plane crashed into us and killed us. Game over.

Then I tried the level with the other guy and beat the shit out of some fodder, a big mutant then some other guy who's name I can't remember. That was kinda fun.

So after that I took it online which didn't go that well. First off, I'm terrible at it. There is just something about it I don't quite get because everyone else gets loads of points even though I do feel like I'm contributing a lot. I can't work out how to get points because of a lack of English.

Secondly the net code is pretty bad. This is a Japanese demo so I'm probably having to connect to some Japanese server causing a it of latency so it's hard to tell if the final game would be like that, but things like throws seem off. And it disconnected a lot.

Something I'm quite disappointed with is all the characters feel the same. You chose from 5 characters in the demo and the wire-y rubber clad ladies move at the same pace, jump the same hight and attack at the same rate as a clunky looking weathered Transformer character.

There's no reason to pick a character other than picking the one you like looking at.

I'll have a go at it again to see if I get my head around it but I can't help but feel it's not the game it could of been.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anarchy Reigns finally comes to Europe

After a peculiar last-minute delay Sega has announced a western release for Platinum Games' multiplayer third-person brawler Anarchy Reigns. It's slated for release 11th January in Europe and 8th January in the US for the reduced price of £19.99/€29.99/$29.99.

The game supports up to 16 player multiplayer modes and features characters from Platinum's previous black & white Wii brawler Madworld.

Additionally, Sega has launched an official English site for the game.

Platinum Games executive director/producer Atsushi Inaba said, "Very few games fall under its genre of a melee-based online multiplayer brawler, so I think we've been able to supply a new kind of excitement that you can't find anywhere else."

Our Rich Stanton gave Anarchy Reigns a 9/10 in his import review where he wrote, "If Anarchy Reigns is only good at one thing, then by god it is brilliant at it." He also called it "as close to God Hand 2 as we're ever going to get," a comparison that's even more apt as Anarchy Reigns is launching at a budget price like God Hand, which was created by much of the same staff back at the now defunct Clover Studios.

For £20? Aye, go on then.