passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Lost Planet 3

HandsomeDead

This was announced during the blackout and I thought I'd start a thread for a few reasons.

1: It's getting made by Spark Unlimited (lol) and Capcom defended the decision.

Capcom has defended its decision to hand Lost Planet 3 to Spark Unlimited, the developers behind the critically mauled Turning Point and Legendary: The Box.

Californian outfit Spark Unlimited has been recruiting for two mysterious projects since last year, one a "franchise and genre expanding game" the other a "bold new take on the action/horror genre", leading to some speculation that it could be working on a new Resident Evil game.

It's now been revealed that one of those games is Lost Planet 3, a continuation of a series that started late in 2006.

Spark Unlimited previously worked on Call of Duty spin-off Finest Hour, though it's more famous for its brace of first-person shooters from 2008. Turning Point received a 3/10 when reviewed, while Legendary fared even worse with a 2/10. The company's current metacritic average stands at 52.

"For people who wonder why we made that choice, it's certainly important to look at a track record and what people have done in the past, but that can't tell you the whole story," Capcom's producer Andrew Szymanski told Eurogamer.

"Particularly when it comes to a collaborative effort - what we found is they've got the technical ability and the passion and the drive. I don't think Spark alone or Capcom alone could have created this - it had to be a collaborative effort."

Capcom has handed out its key franchises to western developers in the past with varying results. Swedish developers Grin's take on Bionic Commando proved a flop, while Slant Six's Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was met with a similarly muted response - although Canadian developer Blue Castle's Dead Rising 2 earned a respectable response.

Yup. Hell, it might be good. Who knows.

2: This is the reason for the thread. An anime as fuck PS3/3DS spin-off is also in the works.

Capcom has announced EX Troopers, a Lost Planet 3 spin-off for PlayStation 3 and Nintendo 3DS.

Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang) describes EX Troopers as an action shooting game being developed by Shintaro Kojima of the Monster Hunter series.

EX Troopers shares the same world view as Lost Planet, but carries an anime visual style and a school themed story. It's about the fight between the snow pirates and Akrid aliens on EDN-3rd. You play Bren Turner, an academy graduate from EDN-2nd.

Other characters include TeeKee, a female snow pirate who can talk to the Akrid, and Gingira, a next generation AI who lives in a Vital Suit. Gingira calls Bren his master.

The story is told through manga demo cut scenes that play out between stages. They're similar to those in PS Vita game Gravity Rush.

Kojima said the game is intended to be an action shooter for beginners. EX Troopers is 60 per cent complete and is out in Japan this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-46CzmiR0ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah... This seems super weird. I get it as a 3DS game, as there is something about the gamepley that I can tell from the trailer that reminds me of Kid Icarus but the PS3, too? I guess it could be a downloadable game, and making it cross platform with the Vita would work I guess but that's still a weird choice.

It looks a bit bare at the moment and maybe too simplified, but that music is awesome.

"For people who wonder why we made that choice, it's certainly important to look at a track record and what people have done in the past, but mainly, they're really fucking cheap," Capcom's producer Andrew Szymanski told Eurogamer.

I really like the idea of the knock off Starship Troopers game, if they do away with al the human on human shit and just concentrate on man or man in mechs blowing the shit out of bug ranging from cockroach size to continent size I can totally roll with that. Not every game needs to be AAA. Even the shit ones can be enjoyable.

If it's anything like that LP2 rip off Resi game it can totally go fuck itself in the arse with a cotton wool swabs soaked in petrol. That was just awful.

• 3 months later...

Lost Planet 3 just looks like Dead Space with Mechs.

But there is more Lost Planet: EX Troopers

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8KBr-GM0u8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8KBr-GM0u8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8KBr-GM0u8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I still can't tell what the game will be like. The trailer is just colours, J-Pop and shouting.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Capcom has announced that Lost Planet 3 will be released in Europe on 28th June. The US gets the game slightly earlier on 25th June.

A swanky new CGI trailer has been put together for the announcement. It's got spaceships, snow, stompy robo-mech things and glowing orange T-Eng.

Lost Planet 3 is being made by Spark Unlimited rather than internally at Capcom. Spark doesn't have the best track record, what with the black marks that are Legendary and Turning Point, but Lost Planet 3 could of course sweep all that away.

Lost Planet 3's a PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 game.

http://youtu.be/zV8yQmUz5Dk

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-06-lost-planet-3-out-in-europe-on-28th-june

• 5 months later...