passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Skyrim

Sambob

If the PC is an option, I would definitely recommend getting it for that format instead. I played over 120 hours on the 360 and bought the PC version a few weeks back. It's like a brand new game.

Downloaded a bunch of visual mods from the Steam Workshops (high-res textures, better lighting, better object meshes, improved weather etc) and the difference is incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying it so far. I'm not going to play it until i get sick of it like Oblivion, going to take my time with the exploration and side-questing. If that means taking a break after 30 hours then i guess i will.

Playing as a Nord, i've picked up all the sidequests in Riverwood and completed the Golden Claw quest. Up to level 5, so far i've taken perks in One Handed, Destruction, Restoration and Speech. I've been fighting S&S with lots of destruction and restoration. The perks/skills system is a nice improvement over Oblivion.

It's the first game i've played installed, don't know what difference that makes (shorter loading times i guess?) but it's a very attractive game (of course the graphics in the distance are hilariously awful). The music is amazing.

I suppose it's easy to criticise the Elder Scrolls series, the repetitive and meaningless nature of it all... But there's definitely a place for it, and it's exactly what i feel like playing right now...

Now 13 hours in, level 8. Settled into playing as a one-handed fighter/mage. Been doing the quests in and around Whiterun. Story-wise i have to talk to the Greybeads about being Dragonborn. Since fighting that dragon in the story mission, i saw another dragon flying above a bandit camp near Whiterun, but he didn't engage me. I guess i amn't far enough in the story.

I also got my arse handed to me by what i think was a golem (I died while reading his name). He was standing in the middle of this herd of buffalo-thingys. I walked up to him thinking he was a trader, but then the battle music kicked in and it slowly dawned on me he was a bit on the big side...

18 hours in now, level 12.

I've already killed my second dragon. It was in the area with the giant and the mammoths (west of Whiterun). He landed and they ran over and started fighting him. I kept away and started zapping him when he was low on health, although i've no idea if i landed the killing blow. Anyway i got my second dragon soul. I have the fire-breath shout but i don't know whether to spend the soul or keep it?

I also now have 4x Dragon Bones and 4x Dragon Scales, I take it they are worth holding on to for smithing purposes? I haven't sold any anyway.

I started the Companions quest where they ask you to "join their circle" etc, but i don't know. What are the drawbacks? Is it worth it?

I think i took the long winded route to that village at the foot of the 7,000 steps. I went east from Whiterun, past the Ritual Stone (where i actually encountered another dragon, but he didn't land) and then south. Ended up following a river trail up a mountain where i had to fight a troll and a few sabre cats but it was ok, i survived. That's what i'm doing at the moment, going up to meet this Greybeards. I've done the quests near Whiterun, but not the ones any great distance from it. I don't want to do what i did in Oblivion where i explored the whole map, and then the main story took me to all those places anyway. For the time being i'm going to try and take in sidequests near to where the story takes me.

I also have a Treasure Map (#4) but the location on it doesn't ring any bells. I'll keep it in mind i guess.

Btw, speaking of companions. Do any of you take along any of the npcs in the game? I never bothered in Oblivion but i always did it in the Fallout games.

I have a dark elf mage or something like that, the mission where I met him was brilliant. He's mostly good at giving my position away, drawing aggro, and carrying things, so just about pays his way.

At some point I want to go back and finish the story in this, it annoys me that I didn't go back to it properly this year, but it's such a time sink

someone might correct me with this, but I think you need to max out smithing to make the dragon armour. I'm not likely to do that, can't really see the point, but I've been keeping it all just in case

Cool beans. What about the Companions (the Silver Hand quest) and the Dragon Souls? Use or hoard?

Anyway i did the High Hrothgar storyline quest, then wandered up to Solitude. I just realised there's a carriage that can take me to all the main towns in the game. I don't know whether to visit each town now, and collect a thousand quests to do. Or just explore one town, do some questing, visit another town etc. What did you guys do?

25 hours in now, level 15. Picked up all the quests in Solitude (including another one of those dream missions which wasn't quite as annoying as the one i remember from Oblivion) and bought apprentice level destruction and restoration spells.

I signed up Erik from Rorikstead after getting his father's permission to leave the farm... Hilarious thing is, guess what happened when we stepped outside the inn? Boom. Dragon attack. I thought Erik would get killed really easily but he seems to be able to take a good roasting. The random dragon fights have been really easy so far.

I foisted all my dragon bones and dragon scales on him which has freed up my inventory a lot, and did a few miscellaneous quests. I like Erik. He says shit. Unlike Lydia the mute.

For now i'm going to tackle the various quests and subquests i've picked up, mostly from Whiterun and Solitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think anyone here bought the ps3 version of this, probably for the best, but if you did then the dlc is actually coming out, fairly soon too!

The UK release dates for Skyrim's PS3 DLC have been confirmed to follow a day behind their US counterparts. That means Dragonborn will be out on 13th February, Hearthfire on the 20th and Dawnguard on the 27th.

Eurogamer

I know they've made a fucking mess of this, and that they seemingly knew it would happen too is despicable, but it is nice to see Bethesda sticking with getting this stuff out on ps3