passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Space 3

Sly Reflex

It depends how they've tweaked the game, if they've made it harder to try and push you to spend real money.

If it's just like time-saving unlock keys like in other games, fair enough. But what me, Sam and DC are talking about is where these systems are in place and the game has been made artificially tougher to push you to spend real money.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine going through Resi 4 for example with the starter weapon, its do-able sure, but it would take more ammo, more time and so on to defeat the enemies as they become increasingly more difficult. In Dead Space getting new armour and weapons was very important at some points as it was directly linked to your health and some abilities, parts of dead space were just like 'BAM, unavoidable health loss' and was based around you having X suit for that part of the game that you were on. Now obviously everything im saying is pure speculation, but things like the artificial toughening of a game go hand in hand with the kind of system that is being implemented in Dead Space 3. These micro transactions arent limited to the super uber weapons, they will apply to all weapon parts, although I do agree that it will be things like the top end rare parts that would be used to make the custom weapons that have been talked about where you will probably struggle to naturally find when playing through the game.

EDIT: To clarify I do agree with what you are fundamentally saying, that if these transactions are only to get the crazy super duper armour or weapons parts that arent integral to the normal play then its the same issue as multiplayer, so long as it doesnt touch the main game experience, then its fine.

One thing I've forgotten to ask anyone who's played the demo.... is the ammo universal?.

Yes. I wasn't happy with that when they announced it but after messing with the weapon system I can see why. You can build so many different combinations of weapons and they all take resources to build (you can save the blueprints but once you replace the weapon in a slot, you have to expend resources building the previous weapon again). Constantly re-building weapons based on available ammo would end up eating through resources like nobody's business.

I suppose it was a choice between specific ammo types and resource collection, and they chose resource collection. I still don't really agree with that choice but I'm willing to see what the weapon crafting brings to the table throughout the course of the game.

On the topic of the microtransactions, it's obvious that just the presence of them colours player's opinions on the game, even if they appear to be optional. Their existence always plants the suspicion that the game has been made artificially more grindy to try and coax players to make a purchase. There's no way to prove that's the case or not but the suspicion is enough to put a good number of players off before the game's even out.

I assume that as long as you complete the side missions and objectives you won't struggle for the resources to create the top tier weapons, but I can't see every player wanting to spend the time completing every little thing.

Ive just watched the gameplay video of the demo, and whilst parts of it really appeal to me, I like the change of setting for example, im starting to groan at certain gimmicks. The snow fog, which at one stage clears for what seems to be miles, but at other times acts like some kind of silent hill clone is terrible, as are monsters now literally popping out of the floor.

Also seeing the weapon building thing, I worry a bit more about this micro transaction business, however, will hold of being too judgemental, as wholehole says, just the thought of it can cloud enjoyment.

Producer John Calhoun regarding the microtransactions, from CVG.

And there are also micro-transactions on the crafting bench, is that correct?

Not much has been spoken about that, but I can tell you the details now. The way the micro-transactions work, is that there's only three things that you can buy, and they're basically tiers of different resources. Resources are extremely valuable in Dead Space - we got rid of credits entirely. Everything that you can find in the game can be constructed from resources, which includes Tungsten, Semi-Conductors, Somatic Gel. Combining these in different ways will create either a weapon part, an ammo pack or an upgrade to Isaac's suit. There's a lot of players out there, especially players coming from mobile games, who are accustomed to micro-transactions. They're like "I need this now, I want this now". They need instant gratification. So we included that option in order to attract those players, so that if they're 5000 Tungsten short of this upgrade, they can have it.

There's also the hardcore Dead Space players, who are reluctant to spend money outside the purchase of the game. Honestly, most of the dev team are that way, we're kind of old school, a little bit older. So not only are the micro-transactions completely optional, but all packs are available to purchase using in-game resources that you find. So, your scavenger bot will go out, and sometimes when he comes back he'll deliver ration seals. You'll start to accumulate ration seals at a pretty steady clip throughout the game, and everything that can be purchased with real world dollars can also be purchased with ration seals.

Philosophically - and like you said before, you're quite old fashioned - do you agree that micro-transactions will gradually diminish the value of completing a game, of beating it?

I don't think so. We're gamers, we wouldn't allow ourselves to do that. Before you guys showed up I was reading the Eurogamer article, that argued that it's a slippery slope, that if you put micro-transactions in Dead Space, aren't you just saying you can pay to win? We would never make a game you have to pay to win. There are genres of games where that is the answer, and you know what? The world has spoken, they suck. We don't want to make games that suck, we want to make games that people want to hold on to, to keep on their shelves. That is our mark of success.

But we need to make sure we're expanding our audience as well. There are action game fans, and survival horror game fans, who are 19 and 20, and they've only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It's a different generation. So if we're going to bring those people into our world, let's speak their language, but let's not alienate our fans at the same time.

So they've done away with credits? Didn't even realise.

I hope this all actually works within the game as it's starting to sound a bit bleh the more they talk about it. Tungsten, Semi-Conductors, Somatic Gel, Scavenger Bots, Ration Seals... I can ignore the microtransactions, what I can't ignore is adding systems in order to intentionally complicate things for the sake of perceived "gameplay".

Here's the launch trailer. What were the marketing guys thinking when they produced this??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6GEzN9GjMH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like what I'm seeing, especially the use of Gunner Wright who does Isaac's voice, but the backing track is hilariously bad. I usually love a bit of Phil Collins, but not like this.

phil-collins-singing.jpg

"OOHHHHH LOOOOOOOOORD!!"

9.75? Never understood scoring scales like that. How do you even quantify .25 of a game to be able mark it down such a miniscule amount. Just round up or down gaddammit  <_<

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Nag" data-cid="135707" data-time="1360068425"><p>ShopTo have taken my money ... really hoping they dispatch this today.</p></blockquote>

Same here. It's going to be an awesome weekend :D

Giant Bomb's Quick Look is up:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4GdgSLs6_mE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, DLC coming in March:

Visceral Games has announced the first DLC for Dead Space 3 will arrive in March.

Called Awakened, the DLC will contain some of the “darkest chapters as the Necromorph battles become even more gruesome and terrifying than ever before.”

The pack will be available in March through Origin, PSN and XBL for $9.99/800 MS Points.

Source: VG24/7

Sounds awesome, let's hope it can live up to that promise.

I won't be watching the Quick Look until I'm fully into the game. I think I may have spoiled a few bits for myself looking through the art book though. Bugger :(

Brad Shoemaker gave it 3 out of 5. Gave the others 5 out of 5 when he reviewed them.

For the record, a good first 25 minutes of that GB quick look have no real spoilers, just go through the crafting really.

Dead Space 3 took up about an hour of this week's Bombcast. Sad to hear Brad is disappointed by it, as I really trust his views especially as he is a big Dead Space fan.

Brad Shoemaker gave it 3 out of 5. Gave the others 5 out of 5 when he reviewed them.

For the record, a good first 25 minutes of that GB quick look have no real spoilers, just go through the crafting really.

Just listened to this. it wasnt on my radar & still isnt - not even started 2 yet but loved the first.

like he says, at least they are trying new things.

and im dying to see how wholey does on the hardcore modes! - whats this 8bit mode?

Never did manage to get through Dead Space 2 on Hardcore. Just didn't have the patience for it in the end :(

I can't decided if the hardcore mode in DS3 sounds better or worse than the previous game. You can save as many times as you like but if you die, that's it. The permadeath thing seems to be the soup du jour at the moment, probably a better way of doing it considering the game's length though.

The 8-bit retro mode just applies a filter and derezzes the graphics a bit from what I've seen. Doesn't look great if I'm honest, would've expected something more from finishing it on hardcore.

Listening to the bombcast about it now, its sort of what we said it would be, with the microtransactions being a little cockish, but actually not game breaking in terms of their effect on the gameplay. The stuff they were saying about the fast and furious franchise was funny.