passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mass Effect 3

Hendo

This has been delayed into 2012 - shouldnt be too much of a problem, ME2 was released in Feb wasnt it? CoD 63 (or whatever it is we are up to) must have people running scared again ;)

The newest iteration in one of the biggest RPG franchises in recent years, Mass Effect 3 has become the latest title to suffer a development delay.

Players will now have to wait until early 2012 to continue the epic space adventure, following a short statement released on the official Mass Effect Facebook page today.

Executive Producer of the Mass Effect franchise, Casey Hudson, provided specific details about the delay:

Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations

Linky

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
An advertisement has been spotted in a South African magazine, suggesting that Mass Effect 3 could be shipping with an online multiplayer component. The scanned page posted on the BioWare forums includes a list of features for the Collector's Edition, which ends with the 'online multiplayer pass'. Most curious, yes?

Eurogamer has since learned from anonymous sources that Mass Effect 3 could indeed feature an online co-op mode that is entirely separate from the campaign, a bit like Rage's 'Legends of the Wasteland' co-op missions perhaps.

BioWare has expressed its interest in Mass Effect multiplayer, and although nothing has been confirmed or set in stone, this is a strong hint that multiplayer may be making an appearance in Mass Effect 3. Or it could be an error and the scanned ad could be alluding to the online pass EA bundles with all of its new games. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mass Effect 3 is out on March 6th, 2012 in North America and March 9th, 2012 in Europe. Will multiplayer be in? Check out the scanned magazine page below and make your own mind up as to whether it looks kosher or not.

mass3mp.jpg

Multiplayer pretty much confirmed now.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer - the worst kept secret in video games - has been confirmed.

Australian magazine PC Powerplay announced the feature on its website alongside an image of the cover of its November issue.

"That's right - Mass Effect 3 is getting multiplayer!" said the mag. "We travel to BioWare's office in Edmonton for hands-on time with the series' first foray into online gameplay, and chat with Mass Effect Series Producer and Mass Effect 3 Project Director Casey Hudson about the decision to go multiplayer in the epic battle for the galaxy."

"Fight alongside your friends as the galaxy goes to war!" reads the magazine's coverline.

Last month a scan of a South African magazine revealed the contents of the Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, and in that list was mention of an "online multiplayer pass".

Sources have told Eurogamer that Mass Effect 3 includes an online enabled co-op mode that is standalone and features competitive elements.

We understand BioWare Montreal was creating a multiplayer Mass Effect experience, either as a standalone game or component of Mass Effect 3.

Needless to say a lot of people are up in arms about this, but they know absolutely nothing about it and certainly haven't played it to see if the campaign has suffered or if the multi is any good or not.

I could see a horde mode style thing working really well, I would guess that this is what this will be.

BioWare has revealed the first details on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, and moved to calm concerned fans worried by its inclusion.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is a standalone, four-player co-op experience that is separate from single-player.

Today, following confirmation of the mode's existence by an Australian magazine, BioWare went into further detail.

Success in multiplayer will have a "direct impact on the outcome of the single-player campaign", BioWare said on its forum, and teaming up with friends provides "an alternate method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind - and the entire - has ever faced".

A choice of classes and races, including the Turians, Krogans and Asari, all lifted from an "elite Special Forces squad", is available, sans Commander Shepard and his crew. The missions centre around liberating key territories from enemy control.

Character progression, weapon upgrading and levelling up are all featured in co-op. "We'll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch," BioWare said.

Tied into how the multiplayer will impact the single-player is the Galaxy at War mode, a sort of overarching mode that determines your game's "Galactic Readiness". Several different aspects affect your Galactic Readiness, including people, weapons, resources, armies and fleets.

"It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience - it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone," BioWare noted.

But why do multiplayer in the first place?

"Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well," BioWare explained.

"Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game - all out galactic war."

Then: "Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience."

BioWare also confirmed that BioWare Montreal, a studio set up only a year ago, played a central role in the creation of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer experience. "Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3," BioWare insisted.

BioWare's overriding message is that Mass Effect 3's multiplayer does not impact on the single-player game.

"Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer," it said. "The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience."

Meanwhile, Mass Effect main man Casey Hudson took to Twitter to offer one final reassurance: "Yes, co-op MP missions for Mass Effect. They're real and they're spectacular. Rest assured they're nothing of what you've feared."

Sounds good to me.

F.A.Q.

Why include 4 player Co-op multiplayer in Mass Effect 3?

Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well. Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game – all out galactic war.

Why only 4 player co-op? What not a versus mode?

We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3. The way we have designed co-op as a way to take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension of the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Why did you decide not to include it as a part of the main campaign?

Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.

Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?

No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don’t like multiplayer – will my experience be negatively impacted?

Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer. The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?

ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It’s about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.

Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?

We can’t comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.

Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?

No.

Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?

Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We’ll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.

Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?

We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform. Each component will be able to affect a player’s “Galactic Readiness” level in a different way. Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional.

Playing co-op in the Mass Effect universe is something that could be pretty cool. I can get behind that.

I admit that I didn't expect it to be ME3, but in a separate game.

They keep saying it's a standalone product from the single player storyline, but then make statements that imply it might affect the story.

Bioware aren't always the best at communication (eg refusing to confirm if more DLC was coming, while they were almost finished working on the fucking content), but they need to make that shit clear.

i dont mean to sound old fashioned or anything but really, they can shove multiplayer in mass effect up their arses, they can even do it co-op.

its an epic single player modern role player (possible the best of this generation), why do this?

and in all fairness, if you dont get your co-op done the first few months after release it will be a full on nightmare to get it organised.

and having it have a direct effect on the single player? fuck off. just really, fuck off.

it is without a doubt the most retarded idea ever and given its play style, how will it ever compare to gears 3?

they are alos no doubt dump a load of shitty co-op dlc for this too (very probably some horde style mode).

unless i change my mind around release due to some stupendously good news about the game, i do believe that they have lost themselves a customer.

I think what they mean is that the co-op multiplayer bits will essentially help you to level up or something, it's not necessary to do them to play the campaign properly.

And they really sound like Horde mode sections to me, not like the way co-op is done in Gears.

As for multiplayer in Mass Effect, this is the only franchise that if it went MMO would persuade me to get a whizz bang PC or hope it would arrive on console. And I really don't do MMO's. Yeah, Shepard's story is your own but beauty of the game is the whole universe that surrounds him and playing the Mass Effect gameplay style in an MMO, I think, would be brilliant.

I, for one, welcome our multiplayer overlords.

unless i change my mind around release due to some stupendously good news about the game, i do believe that they have lost themselves a customer.

I'm sure you picking it up 2 years after everyone else and raving about it had been a major part of their business plan. :P

I'm sure you picking it up 2 years after everyone else and raving about it

upto there you are probalby right! damn you!

but saying that all it took for dragon age to be fucked off was 1 glitched achievment and no more dlc, expansions or sequels were or will be bought by my good self.

in all honestly, mass effect 2 was like mass effect+, so good a game it was, i just really want mass effect 3 to be (mass effect + masseffect 2) x juicy satisfying sweetness in single player form = game of the decade but this could rob me of that.

• 4 weeks later...
Mass Effect 3's three campaign modes were revealed over the weekend after an early version of the game was accidentally published to some Xbox 360 owners.

Microsoft published the Mass Effect 3 beta to those who were in the new Xbox Live dashboard preview. The beta was quickly removed, but not before gamers published spoiler-filled gameplay videos via NeoGAF.

Revealed are three ways to play Mass Effect 3's campaign: Action Mode, Story Mode and RPG Mode.

Action Mode, according to the beta, is "for those who want to emphasise action and combat and minimize story management. Action mode will set automatic replies in conversation and a normal difficulty".

Story Mode is "for those who want to emphasize story immersion and minimize combat pressure. Story mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a minimal combat difficulty".

And RPG Mode is "for those who want to explore both realms of story and combat. RPG mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a normal combat difficulty".

Responding to the leak, BioWare said the three game modes were still in development, and the beta was not representative of the quality of the finished product.

"As most of you know by now, this evening an accidental leak occurred of some early Mass Effect 3 beta code," wrote Jesse Houston on the BioWare forum.

"Microsoft has advised us that through human error at their end, content which was meant for internal beta testing was flagged incorrectly and released to individuals who had signed up for the beta of the Xbox Live dashboard update. It has since been taken down and deactivated.

"We'd like to stress that the leaked code is in a rough, unfinished state and was not meant for public release. The content is not final, and is not reflective of the quality of the finished, polished game due for release on March 6, 2012 (March 9 in Europe).

"One feature that was present in this early build is a set of game play modes that are in development. In the beta code they are referred to as 'action mode', 'story mode' and 'RPG mode'. We want to stress that these features are still in the early stages of development and will receive considerable iteration and refinement. These modes are designed to give players an even finer degree of control over their game experience than ever before.

"Whether it be someone who finds the combat difficult but wants to experience the amazing story, someone who wants to focus on the action and combat game play, or fans who want the rich, story-driven RPG Mass Effect experience they've come to love - Mass Effect 3 will support all of these options. We'll have more info in the days ahead!"

Don't watch if you fear spoilers, obviously.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/52O2HQS7RtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gqc3N2TRu30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like RPG mode is the one to go for. Good on them for realising that people want different things though, good that someone who hates the combat could just walk through and concentrate on the story.

im sorry hendo but i disagree with you very strongly.

it sounds like utter donkey bollocks.

it was always a brilliant story driven action rpg. if you didnt like the action, set it to easy, if you didnt like the story just skip or give generic answers/question. fuck.

if people are interested in just action (& im sure ivery well implemented) and minimal story there is gears 3, that covers the online aspect too.

really, i just cannot for the life of me figure out why they have built up this fabulous new universe, fleshed it out over 2 epic games and then got toothless cocksucking chimps to shat all over the "final" installment.

dumbed down, shoehorned multi? wtf.

i will have to be happy & content with my commander shepard hanging out in her private quarters regretting that she never tapped that ditzy lesbian poledancer/PA before she was liquidised by the bad guys.

Must be hard to walk anywhere with those jerking knees, Marth.

It's just an extension of traditional difficulty modes really. But in this case you're adjusting the complexity of some gameplay elements to your taste.

The RPG mode sounds like regular Mass Effect, so what does it matter to you if there are others options in there? Emphasis on the word 'options'.

thats a bit overly mean isnt it? how is it kneejerk?

im becoming more convinced the more info & "hype" im seeing that its moving away from being the zenith (imho) of single player action rpg gaming & storytelling to a mishmash of poo (kinect/multi which is & isnt part of the main story/dumbing down options).

it just doesnt make sense, it will sell by the bucket load so why start fiddling around with it.

it could be awesome, i could be properly eating my hat with a side of summer salad but at this time it just sounds wrong.

See, that's a lot more reasonable than your last couple of (a bit ranty) posts.

There's still not a lot of info on some of these features, so to get mad at what sounds like just a bunch of optional extras, based on incomplete info, to me is a little premature.

I think letting people customise the game to the way they want to play is an interesting and praiseworthy idea.

And i think the mass effect universe could host a great multiplayer/co-op game, although I didn't expect it to debut in ME3.

• 1 month later...

Graphically it certainly looked nice, but I think a fair few people are going to be disappointed in the direction it's gone gameplay wise, judging by the snippet of gameplay we've seen

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:724831" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-mass-effect/724831">Mass Effect 3 - VGA 2011: Exclusive Gameplay Trailer HD</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

Oh and a word of warning, some people (me) haven't finished ME2 yet, so try to keep any spoilers to a minimum ... Sly :fist: